New Grower Finally Started

Woot! Another Virginian! Sic Semper Cannabis!

:welcome: to AFN!!!

FFOF/HF have N, P, and Ca sources mixed in, but no K sources. So, you may need to provide something with K earlier than you expected.

For reference, their recommended feed schedule (for photos) is on their website - link here.
@Bruce Campbell - Noticed a little bit of wrinkle in a new leaf and thinking maybe this is the K issue you mentioned earlier. What recommendations do you have for adding some K to the soil to see if it goes away? I'm planning on top dressing with a good watering tomorrow. Thanks!

@Bruce Campbell - Noticed a little bit of wrinkle in a new leaf and thinking maybe this is the K issue you mentioned earlier. What recommendations do you have for adding some K to the soil to see if it goes away? I'm planning on top dressing with a good watering tomorrow. Thanks!
Do you have a pic? Low K usually appears more as chlorosis / necrosis, especially around the saw tooths and tips (see here). Wrinkled, crinkly, or deformed leaves - I usually attribute to high pH or rapid temp/RH changes.

You're also around Day 20-ish? I wouldn't be too concerned about a single leaf - especially new growth. It'll be starting to put out new growth faster and faster, so new leaves may come in a bit lighter green at first and take a few days to fully form. It may also be a bit early to need a top-dressing for FFOF/HF - they should be able to go another 2-4 weeks - but, your middle layer of jiffy seed may be throwing a wrench into things.

In general, I try to balance K:Ca:Mg in a 4:2:1 ratio. But, I'm more of a mineral salt guy, and not so much organics/amendments/top-dressings. Since FFOF/HF has a good amount of Ca already and no K, I'd look for products with high K and low (or no) Ca to balance it out.

On the salt side, none of the main FF trio has any Ca. I'd start adding some Big Bloom if you're worried about low K. And, you can go pretty high since extra P usually isn't an issue. You can probably hit them with that for a feed or two before you decide on going the salt or top-dressing route for the rest of the grow.

On the top-dressing side, I think @Tom Bombadil usually recommends build-a-flower or craft blend top dressings with FF mixes, so he may be able to provide more input.

Do you have a pic? Low K usually appears more as chlorosis / necrosis, especially around the saw tooths and tips (see here). Wrinkled, crinkly, or deformed leaves - I usually attribute to high pH or rapid temp/RH changes.

You're also around Day 20-ish? I wouldn't be too concerned about a single leaf - especially new growth. It'll be starting to put out new growth faster and faster, so new leaves may come in a bit lighter green at first and take a few days to fully form. It may also be a bit early to need a top-dressing for FFOF/HF - they should be able to go another 2-4 weeks - but, your middle layer of jiffy seed may be throwing a wrench into things.

In general, I try to balance K:Ca:Mg in a 4:2:1 ratio. But, I'm more of a mineral salt guy, and not so much organics/amendments/top-dressings. Since FFOF/HF has a good amount of Ca already and no K, I'd look for products with high K and low (or no) Ca to balance it out.

On the salt side, none of the main FF trio has any Ca. I'd start adding some Big Bloom if you're worried about low K. And, you can go pretty high since extra P usually isn't an issue. You can probably hit them with that for a feed or two before you decide on going the salt or top-dressing route for the rest of the grow.

On the top-dressing side, I think @Tom Bombadil usually recommends build-a-flower or craft blend top dressings with FF mixes, so he may be able to provide more input.
Just took these this morning.

IMG_2045[1].JPEGIMG_2047[1].JPEGIMG_2048[1].JPEG

That's a tough one - it looks similar to what @Suki813 and I both encountered with FFOF.

Mine grew out of it, but I attributed it mainly to soil pH. Suki attributed it to salt / nute build-up affecting soil pH, and transplanted into fresh FFHF. I suspect it's ultimately related to build-up of available Ca and its impact on soil pH. The oyster shells in FFOF/HF dissolve over time (which means available Ca can increase), and we don't usually water soils to run-off (to periodically flush out any build-up).

They may be large enough to handle a saturated pot, so you could try a small flush to get some run-off through there, then follow with 3-6 tsp/gal of Big Bloom to start adding some K?

I haven’t updated my journal yet, but today they all received a thorough watering - a little over a gallon each. Lights are off right now and I’ll check them when they come out. I also raised the SF4000 light to 24” above canopy (was at 18”).

I’m likely being slightly paranoid being the first grow and all. Thank you and all AFN folks - this site is a godsend.

Looks like potentially too much water or the beginnings of a N excess to me. If they're staying too wet they will do that, but also if you're not watering enough. Not sure if you've read @Mañ'O'Green's watering instructions but that may help. Imo, just keep watering as needed, but do not add any extra N! My situation was a bit different as I had reused old FFOF, so everything was super out of whack and they looked way way worse than this. My new girl, the sour stomper, has only gotten PHd water and Big Bloom thus far and is doing awesome. I'm starting to think that with autos during veg adding any of the Grow Big is a big mistake as the soil has plenty N to carry you through. I don't really think you need to be adding anything extra at this point, besides water and Big Bloom.

Thanks @Suki813. I’m leaning more towards not enough water. I’ll know more in a few hours when the lights come back on. I picked up the other two FF nutrients this afternoon so I’ll keep an eye on them and add the Big Bloom is necessary. Again, thank you for your reply.

Looks like my issue was underwatering - Day 21.

Good time to start LST, or wait for more of a stretch? Thanks!

Attachments

• DAY 21.jpg
    DAY 21.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 25
Looking good! :thumbsup:

Now's a good time to start LST.

Between now and ~Day 35-42, they'll focus on branching out and covering as much area as they can. After that, they'll go into their pre-flower stretch where they start gaining 1-2" per day. You want to have the main/secondary colas as spread out as you can by then.

You can also top, but I wasn't confident enough to do that my first grow.

Back