First Time Auto Grow , any advice welcome :)

Hey @nard420, I'm glad to help. However, you never know when following my advice might get you into deeper trouble. :biggrin: I too am new at this my friend, so pay attention to contrary advice if any comes up.

As to the pH thing, I tend to be closer to pH 6 for coco, but different strokes. I certainly would not go any lower than pH5.7. Keep in mind that seemingly small differences in pH are bigger than the numbers suggest. PH5.7 is actually twice as acid as pH6. A change of one on the pH scale is a ten fold change, and change of 2 is a hundred fold change. This would be one of the reasons that a good pen is better than the drops or strips - the latter are bloody difficult to interpret with decent accuracy.

For watering quantity, I would probably give each pot at least a liter. You can concentrate much of it around the edges. For now, most of it will just be trying to make sure the deeper stuff and the stuff near the sides does not dry out and become hydrophobic. Put it on slowly, or even in a couple applications to let it soak in rather than leaking out the sides. Coco is pretty tolerant of watering, a lot more so than soil, because it drains very readily but retains moisture nontheless. It is a lot harder to overwater than soil is. It is a great medium if you treat it appropriately and can grow some monsters if you get it right. Definitely have a look at the cocoforcannabis site, there is some decent information on there. You might find yourself converted to coco long term. :pighug:
Again , thank you for your prompt response ! I’m really enjoying all of the technical side to things growing in coco , makes it a bit more interesting and time consuming which is great while I’m in stage 4 lockdown haha !
Cool so I slowly added 1lt total to the pot and no run off and the coco seems nice and damp !
I’ll attach a couple of photos of my little lady , not sure if it’s stretching or not ?
I’ve got the Mars TS1000 set to 50% and hanging at around 20 inches ! Thank you !

Attachments

• B117F4BF-E62E-45D4-8151-E9642A42DD0D.jpeg
    B117F4BF-E62E-45D4-8151-E9642A42DD0D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 56B67F85-EF7C-4311-AB41-4157BB7DE0F4.jpeg
    56B67F85-EF7C-4311-AB41-4157BB7DE0F4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Again , thank you for your prompt response ! I’m really enjoying all of the technical side to things growing in coco , makes it a bit more interesting and time consuming which is great while I’m in stage 4 lockdown haha !
Cool so I slowly added 1lt total to the pot and no run off and the coco seems nice and damp !
I’ll attach a couple of photos of my little lady , not sure if it’s stretching or not ?
I’ve got the Mars TS1000 set to 50% and hanging at around 20 inches ! Thank you !
The girls look perfect. You are off to a good start. :pighug:

Sorry to hear that you are stuck in lockdown, but putting up with it is better than sucking on a ventilator! This virus is dangerous, and is headed toward being completely out of control in a lot of places. Best to be very careful with it. If you have any doubt about how serious this is, talk to any nurse friends you might have, they will clarify what is up, and what may be coming if people refuse to behave.

So, put on your geek hat, and enjoy the technical coco ride! :bighug:

The girls look perfect. You are off to a good start. :pighug:

Sorry to hear that you are stuck in lockdown, but putting up with it is better than sucking on a ventilator! This virus is dangerous, and is headed toward being completely out of control in a lot of places. Best to be very careful with it. If you have any doubt about how serious this is, talk to any nurse friends you might have, they will clarify what is up, and what may be coming if people refuse to behave.

So, put on your geek hat, and enjoy the technical coco ride! :bighug:
All is quiet here until I get my nutrients , should have arrived today but hoping on tomorrow !
Yes this virus is so sad and destructive :(
My partner and I have stuck to the restrictions , doing all of our grocery and shopping online so we just stay at home and do the right thing ! We are heading out of stage 4 now so back to work on the 9th of november for me !
I hope you’re having a great day ! will be sure to update once the nutes arrive !

All is quiet here until I get my nutrients , should have arrived today but hoping on tomorrow !
Yes this virus is so sad and destructive :(
My partner and I have stuck to the restrictions , doing all of our grocery and shopping online so we just stay at home and do the right thing ! We are heading out of stage 4 now so back to work on the 9th of november for me !
I hope you’re having a great day ! will be sure to update once the nutes arrive !
Also I was just doing some research and am reading his bad PGR weed is , is this essentially what I am adding with the nutrients ? PGR weed is everywhere in Aus that’s why I’m trying to grow it myself but now I’m not sure if I’m infact trying to grow PGR weed haha HELP

PGR weed???:coffee2:

I know bugger all about PGR's other than that the term apparently covers a lot of ground from totally normal plant hormones found in all plants to synthetic compounds like Sumagic which seem intended to suppress normal plant hormones.

As always, you will find opinions that anything with this label is automatically bad, and others of the opposite opinion, and in my opinion both ends of the opinion spectrum are likely full of beans. I would not deliberately apply stuff to my plants that had what I considered a significant risk to me, but I would also not worry about general criticism of anything that is not "natural" or organic. At times, this means that I would not do the organic thing either - I would never apply bloody neem to my buds for example. Yes, it is organic, or can be, but so is botulinum toxin.

If you are interested in heading in the organic direction, you should investigate super soil grows, and plan on pots no less than 5-7 gallons if you hope to get all the way through a grow with no nutes. In the meantime, I would not worry about the nutes you have ordered for your current grow. They are unlikely to contain potentially harmful PGR's. As a matter of perspective, even kelp extract can be considered a PGR because it contains gibberellic acid, a natural plant hormone that can help with germination. The bud that you get from your current grow is likely to be the nicest, least contaminated stuff that you can get your mitts on, so stick with it, and enjoy the results.

Last edited:
I know bugger all about PGR's other than that the term apparently covers a lot of ground from totally normal plant hormones found in all plants to synthetic compounds like Sumagic which seem intended to suppress normal plant hormones.

As always, you will find opinions that anything with this label is automatically bad, and others of the opposite opinion, and in my opinion both ends of the opinion spectrum are likely full of beans. I would not deliberately apply stuff to my plants that had what I considered a significant risk to me, but I would also not worry about general criticism of anything that is not "natural" or organic. At times, this means that I would not do the organic thing either - I would never apply bloody neem to my buds for example. Yes, it is organic, or can be, but so is botulinum toxin.

If you are interested in heading in the organic direction, you should investigate super soil grows, and plan on pots no less than 5-7 gallons if you hope to get all the way through a grow with no nutes. In the meantime, I would not worry about the nutes you have ordered for your current grow. They are unlikely to contain potentially harmful PGR's. As a matter of perspective, even kelp extract can be considered a PGR because it contains gibberellic acid, a natural plant hormone that can help with germination. The bud that you get from your current grow is likely to be the nicest, least contaminated stuff that you can get your mitts on, so stick with it, and enjoy the results.
I think I just freak myself out by reading too much on google haha !
My nutrients arrived today ! Do I use them all together ? Or one per different stage of growth ? The packaging doesn’t say much about when to use which one ! Also I got my bottle of calmag , do i mix that in with the nutes and have like a water container with all 4 nutes diluted ?? Thank you ! Sorry for all the questions lol

Attachments

• 06721620-DCA0-4C3D-867F-FC9DEE937469.jpeg
    06721620-DCA0-4C3D-867F-FC9DEE937469.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
I think I just freak myself out by reading too much on google haha !
My nutrients arrived today ! Do I use them all together ? Or one per different stage of growth ? The packaging doesn’t say much about when to use which one ! Also I got my bottle of calmag , do i mix that in with the nutes and have like a water container with all 4 nutes diluted ?? Thank you ! Sorry for all the questions lol
There should be mixing instructions on the back panel of the nute bottles. If not, go to the company's website and see what there is there. You will have to find instructions before mixing, all of these outfits seem to do something different. You will almost certainly need to mix micro and grow for the growth stage, and micro and bloom for flowering, but you need to know the ratios required, and there is always the possibility that all three will be mixed at different ratios during the whole grow. When you mix the nutes, the sequence matters, and you will mix the first into water before adding the second and mixing it in, and if required, third. I know nothing about the calmag product you have, but start it at the low end of recommended doses unless your plants ask for more.

For general information on mixing, see this:

For information on why coco needs cal mag, see this:

Good luck with it, and shoot more questions if you need to! :pighug:

Note ---i have not seen that calmag you have. Use with caution since you will be adding alot more nitrogen to your solution.
The nitrogen content looks high 8-0-0 comparatively to Botanicare and General Hydroponics 2 and 1 respectively.

Back