Flushing: The Myth that won't Die

There is a nice article, on hightimes.com not sure if that’s what your looking for, but a very interesting read about a blind test experiment with flushed v not flushed.

There is a nice article, on hightimes.com not sure if that’s what your looking for, but a very interesting read about a blind test experiment with flushed v not flushed.
Thanks @Sheriffatman - aware of that one. it was a new study were trying to hunt down.
:pass:

I know the one your on about, but can’t seem to find it anywhere either, hmmmmm

Well, I found a recent interview with Bigbee where he mentions a Jim Faust at Clemson:
What are your thoughts on flushing?
In my experience, flushing only helps if the plants were overfertilized to start with. We do not flush in our studies. A recent study by RX Green technologies (Flushing Trial) found that users preferred cannabis that was not flushed (zero days of flushing).

My colleague Jim Faust at Clemson is studying flushing. He found a decreased yield and a small increase in cannabinoid concentration with increasing flushing (called leaching in horticulture terminology). This is likely due to what we call “yield dilution.” Higher flower mass dilutes the concentration of cannabinoids.

I couldn't find any recent articles by Dr. Faust, though.

On a side note - Bigbee's starting on online Cannabis training course through USU:
Dr. Bugbee also announced a new online course, The Science and Technology of Medical Cannabis Cultivation, that is open to the public. The online certificate course “provides an in-depth understanding of how to optimize cannabinoid yield in Cannabis.”

Only $995 for the entire package, and you even get a certificate! Maybe we can get an AFN discount...

Well, I found a recent interview with Bigbee where he mentions a Jim Faust at Clemson:

I couldn't find any recent articles by Dr. Faust, though.

On a side note - Bigbee's starting on online Cannabis training course through USU:

Only $995 for the entire package, and you even get a certificate! Maybe we can get an AFN discount...

Thank you for sharing this! Good find!

Here's an interesting article:

Increasing Inflorescence Dry Weight and Cannabinoid Content in Medical Cannabis Using Controlled Drought Stress
Abstract
Controlled application of drought can increase secondary metabolite concentrations in some essential oil-producing crops. To evaluate the effects of drought on cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.) inflorescence dry weight and cannabinoid content, drought stress was applied to container-grown cannabis plants through gradual growing substrate drying under controlled environment. Fertigation was withheld during week 7 in the flowering stage until midday plant water potential (WP) was approximately −1.5 MPa (drought stress threshold). This occurred after 11 days without fertigation. A well-irrigated control was used for comparison. Leaf net photosynthetic rate (Pn), plant WP, wilting (leaf angle), and volumetric moisture content (VMC) were monitored throughout the drying period until the day after the drought group was fertigated. At the drought stress threshold, Pn was 42% lower and plant WP was 50% lower in the drought group than the control. Upon harvest, drought-stressed plants had increased concentrations of major cannabinoids tetrahydrocannabinol acid (THCA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) by 12% and 13%, respectively, compared with the control. Further, yield per unit growing area of THCA was 43% higher than the control, CBDA yield was 47% higher, ∆9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) yield was 50% higher, and cannabidiol (CBD) yield was 67% higher. Controlled drought stress may therefore be an effective horticultural management technique to maximize both inflorescence dry weight and cannabinoid yield in cannabis, although results may differ by cannabis cultivar or chemotype.

Don't bother worrying about flushing vs. not flushing...just don't water your plants the last 11 days...anyone wanna give it a try?

Back