Food and Health

Root

Grandma Roody
Reaction score
Website
everessencekd.com
Currently Smoking
My Genius Pipe!
Several AFN members are following the PH Plan and noticing such a difference in the way they feel. :thumbs:
The next logical step to take is to start eating right. "munch"
We are picky with what nutrition we give our plants...

I'd like to explore how to heal ourselves naturally and keep us healthy with
Herbs
growing our own food
Eating alkalizing foods
And cutting sugar from our diets along with eliminating glutens.
That will get us to learning about the Paleo Lifestyle...and Yummy recipes!

What would you like to learn about staying healthy?

Foods that help alkaline:
154690d1395636792-ph-homework-ph-acid-alkaline-food-chart.gif

Sugar is toxic to our bodies. http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/1004201-15-reasons-kick-sugar/#slide=1
Overview

There’s nothing sweet about what too much sugar does to your diet and your health. Sugar has been linked to obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers, acne, wrinkles and other signs of accelerated aging. But did you know that sugar is as addictive as cocaine, and it’s also damaging to your liver and your brain? What’s more, cancers use sugar to fuel their growth. National surveys show that sugar intake has drastically increased over the past few decades. The average American now consumes 100 pounds of sugar each year. Americans’ daily sugar intake is about 20 teaspoons each -- more than 300 calories from added sugars alone. Read on for 15 important reasons why you should decrease the sugar in your diet starting today.

Is Gluten-Free a Fad? http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gluten-free-fad/#axzz3878aIG3o
Does Gluten Have Any Effect on Non-Celiacs?http://www.marksdailyapple.com/does-gluten-have-any-effect-on-non-celiacs/#axzz3878aIG3o

People typically analyze gluten sensitivity through the prism of gastrointestinal distress. It’s often the first symptom we notice. It’s certainly the most obvious. If you don’t have celiac but eat some gluten and your stomach feels bubbly and the toilet becomes irresistible, you have non-celiac gluten sensitivity. If you can eat pizza without diarrhea, bloating, constipation, and/or inordinate amounts of gas, you probably don’t.
That’s how I know I’ve eaten gluten – my gut tells me. But for many people, there are extraintestinal, peripheral symptoms. And these aren’t just mass delusions. Legitimate research is discovering and beginning to unpack the connections between gluten, wheat, and a host of other disorders, even in the absence of celiac disease.
Those symptoms and disorders may still be mediated by the gut, but they’re not always felt in the gut. Kind of like how a tight muscle can affect other tissues along seemingly unrelated sections of the kinetic chain (ankle dysfunction can cause knee pain, for example).
The following are not ironclad, proven causal relationships. They describe correlations with plausible mechanisms, hypotheses still to be proven. I’m omitting any relationships purely based on anecdote, not to discount them, but to focus on the strongest candidates for conditions caused or exacerbated by gluten in non-celiacs.
Fibromyalgia

The mysterious, painful condition known as fibromyalgia has long been connected with celiac disease and general gut disturbances (IBS is quite common in fibromyalgia patients, for example, and IBS patients with fibromyalgia often have celiac). But only recently has non-celiac gluten sensitivity also been linked to fibromyalgia. Researchers selected 20 patients with fibromyalgia who experienced remission upon switching to a gluten-free diet, with remission including one or more of the following improvements: reduction in pain, return to work, return to normal life, or the discontinuation of painkillers. Tests confirmed they did not have celiac, leading the authors to suggest that “non-celiac gluten sensitivity may be an underlying case of FM syndrome.”
Autism

Gluten-free (often casein-free) diets are popular with many parents of kids on the autism spectrum, but most physicians have taken a skeptical stance on the whole premise. That’s to be expected. However, parents who report the strictest implementation of a gluten-free diet in their kids with autism report the largest improvements in symptoms. Oh, that’s just a large, admittedly well-documented and externally-verified compendium of anecdotes, you say? Recent research has shown that a subset of autistic kids show enhanced reactivity to gluten distinct from the response characteristic of celiac disease. You can certainly say that going gluten-free probably won’t help every kid with autism, but it looks like a portion of them are going to benefit from its removal.
(If there are any Spanish speakers in the house, check out this free full-text paper for a further look at the evidence. I’d be curious to hear what it has to say.)
Type 1 Diabetes

In pregnant mice who were diabetic but not celiac, a maternal gluten-free diet maintained during breastfeeding up until weaning reduced both inflammation and type 1 diabetes in the offspring. Pancreatic regulatory T-cells (which suppress inflammation) and tight junction activity were both up-regulated in the GF offspring. This echoes other rodent studies stretching back to the 1990s. Okay, but those are mice. They’re cute and mammalian and all, but what about human research? Most recently, a six year old with type 1 diabetes experienced remission upon adopting a gluten-free diet. Twenty months later, he was still off insulin therapy.
Schizophrenia

For nearly 50 years, a large body of research has tentatively established links between schizophrenia and wheat consumption. A 1966 study found that as wheat and rye consumption increased following World War 2, hospital admissions for schizophrenia also increased. Later that decade, the otherwise rare celiac disease was discovered to be oddly common among patients with schizophrenia, while early interventions saw some success at treating relapsed schizophrenia with grain-free diets. Abnormal sensitivity to gluten isn’t universal among patients, but there appears to be something there. And research continues to this day, with a recent meta-analysis finding that certain markers of gluten-sensitivity are elevated in schizophrenics compared to controls (and differently than in celiacs). Maternal gluten sensitivity is even related to the offspring’s chance of developing schizophrenia.
Depression

A recent case study found that a gluten-free diet led to remission of depression symptoms in a patient with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. A placebo-controlled trial from this year found that while isolated gluten added to a gluten-free diet did not cause GI distress (just like the study described in the introduction), it did increase symptoms of depression in a group of patients with “self-reported” non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
Ataxia

Not as well-known as some of the other conditions mentioned, ataxia is a neurological disorder characterized by an inability to control gait, balance, and hand-eye coordination. It’s incredibly serious, and multiple reports link it to gluten sensitivity. They even call a subset of it gluten ataxia, which is not accompanied by celiac-related enteropathy. A recent trial in patients with ataxia found that a gluten-free diet significantly improved symptoms, irrespective of GI symptoms.
Clearly, looking at the gut for evidence of non-celiac gluten sensitivity is not enough. And yes, it may very well turn out that it’s something else in the wheat causing the issues in these conditions, too, but does that change the effective therapy – a gluten-free/wheat-free diet?
No. It still works.
If any of these conditions affect you or someone close to you, a gluten-free diet may be worth trying. It’s free, after all.

Awesome info. I tried consuming zero sugar for a while a couple years back with minimal fruit. One morning I woke up shaking and had cold sweats..... Wasn't pleasant but it made me realize how much my body was hooked on it.

I'll definitely look into the pH plan, sounds very interesting. It seems that sometimes if I eat "healthy" or not, my body feels the same so I'm really interested in my pH and how it will affect me. I'm not old but would like to avoid taking medication down the road for sure.

Thanks for sharing this root

:peace:

After looking at that chart I eat very high acid foods..... Wow, bookmarked this page for sure

I was 350 pounds and without changing anything I ate, lost over 100 pounds. I just started cooking it myself. Bread, cake, pie, everything. Made it from scratch

It took a year, but it's been with me for over 10. I eat and grow organic and have never been healthier

I've been veggy for 41 years and my diet is very low on the high-acid foods apart from cheese, and, of course - BEER :)

Cutting out all processed foods (including processed meat) is a great idea.

Gladiators in ancient Rome were mostly vegan, and a few MMA fighters are taking up a vegan diet.

Good post,

steely

Good Topic. Im not a Veggie but i changed my Food n Eat beavior alot after i almost Died from a Food Poisoning caused by Crappy Fast Food Last Year. I can tell u i went thru hell and now i see Food in a diffrent kinda way(not saw a Fast Food Restaurat from the inside a gd 10 Months now). I also saw its very Cheap to get urself good n healthy n tasty food.....n healthy even if u have the Munchies :D Fruits Rock after a gd n Tasty Spliff.

Yea processed food is yucky. I read some internal studies Boars Head did and if you was able to cut out just processed stuff you would feel a world of difference. You dont even wanna know what they do to process meat. Its all the artificial stuff thats bad.

With food, you need to change your life. I found the journey to good eating very spiritual. Different cultures and places, different people. I've learned to respect ancient civilizations and appreciate the new things being done with food

Mostly, it's something we all have in common and can agree upon. Good food is good :)

With food, you need to change your life. I found the journey to good eating very spiritual. Different cultures and places, different people. I've learned to respect ancient civilizations and appreciate the new things being done with food

Mostly, it's something we all have in common and can agree upon. Good food is good :)

You are absolutely right!
Dieting to lose weight is unhealthy and since the habits that let you gain weight are still there...you yo-yo with your weight, which is unhealthy as well.

Eek and I have cut out sugar and artifical sweeteners, as much glutens as possible and grow a few veggies...we follow the Paleo Lifestyle as close as we can. In 6 months I lost 60 pounds...it's been a year and physically I feel the best in years! Effortlessly maintaining my ideal weight.

When I go to the grocery store I try to shop the outer isles...Meat and Produce. Going to Farmers Markets are even better.

I saw a great documentary, super juice me, one woman lost all of her arthritic pain and all sorts of other ailments were helped or defeated in the other 7 people.

all the best,

steely

http://www.superjuiceme.com/ I watched the trailer...Good find steel rat!

This is a recipe from the same guy...Jason Vale http://www.juicemaster.com/us/recipes/smoothies/super-juice
You have no items in yo
Super Juice

Juicy Ingredients

• ½ lime – peeled
  • 2 Golden Delicious or Royal Gala apples
  • ¼ pineapple
  • ¼ medium cucumber
  • ¼ ripe avocado
  • 10oz of fresh wheatgrass
  • 1 level teaspoon of spirulina
  • 1 capsule of acidophilus bacteria powder
  • Ice cubes
Juicy Instructions

Juice the apples, pineapple, cucumber and lime. Put the avocado flesh into a blender along with the ice, wheatgrass, spirulina, and the friendly bacteria powder. Blend everything until smooth, pour and enjoy.

Why this is good for you

This juice is exploding with some of nature's super nutrients, enzymes, antioxidants and amino acids.
Wheatgrass and spirulina are two true 'super foods' which both contain a distinguished array of vitamins and minerals. The wheatgrass is also a rich source of chlorophyll, the undisputed top provider of 'liquid sunshine'. It is excellent at improving the function of the heart, the vascular system, the intestines and the lungs, as well as detoxifying the blood and the liver. Spirulina is a phenominal alga; it is supreme at harvesting the sun's energy and has been growing naturally for more than 3.5 billion years! It has been found to contain one of the most concentrated amounts of nutrients, phytonutrients and antioxidents of any plant.
This juice is exceedingly filling due to the addition of the avocado, which provides the body with the perfect balance of essential fatty acids - the 'friendly fats' that are vital for the body!
Both the cucumber and the lime are terrific at cleansing the body along with adding greatness to hair, skin and nails.

Back