Help for a Rookie on hanging filter and fan in a 2x2x4.......? for the small tent experts:)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've done a bunch of searching on the site, but couldn't find the answers on these subjects......I"m going to be setting up a 2x2x4 and using a 4inch inline fan and 4x12 carbon filter

A couple quick newbie questions
  1. What is best way in the small tent to set up the filter and fan leaving enough space for the light (using SF 1000) ?
  2. Has anyone tried to mount both the filter and fan inside (maybe vertically) or is there just no room for that....ideally having the fan inside as well would make things quieter?
  3. What do you guys recommend as the best thing to use to mount the filter.....rope hangars, zip ties or some type of other straps.
Thanks to all the small tent guys in advance!!!! Any pics of your setup on these items for a Noob would be super appreciated!!
You guys have been so generous with your knowledge and I can't tell you how much it has helped me!!!

This is what I’ve done, fan & filter hanging from the top above the light to suck out the hot air. Maintaining 27C for the last 24 hours It’s a bit improvised, I would like to use thicker cable ties to suspend it but I am using what I have! Exhaust is vented out the top
63815774-A412-4E42-8E05-3E7B59FBD0F9.jpeg

This is what I’ve done, fan & filter hanging from the top above the light to suck out the hot air. Maintaining 27C for the last 24 hours It’s a bit improvised, I would like to use thicker cable ties to suspend it but I am using what I have! Exhaust is vented out the top View attachment 1182587

Thanks, much appreciated! Is that in a 2x2x4?

No, it’s a 2x4x6, but the length of the fan, filter and bend in the exhaust is just under 2ft, all depends on how long your set up is, I used to use the exact same setup in my 2x2x5 before upgrading the tent

either way, you need the filter above the light to remove the warm air, added benefit of this is that you should draw fresh air in through the bottom of the tent

I would put both the fan and filter outside of the tent and save the space for plants. You simply pull the air out from the top and push it out through the filter.

I've got a 4 inch carbon filter sitting on my tent floor on one end,.
Attached to its top is a 4" duct that goes thru a bottom tent port hole, then out a basement window.
First time I've tried this setup, but I like it. The filter and duct stay completely out of the way.
With good air mixing inside the tent, I don't think it matters where the filter sucks air from.

I've got a 4 inch carbon filter sitting on my tent floor on one end,.
Attached to its top is a 4" duct that goes thru a bottom tent port hole, then out a basement window.
First time I've tried this setup, but I like it. The filter and duct stay completely out of the way.
With good air mixing inside the tent, I don't think it matters where the filter sucks air from.

I was just thinking about why not to put it on the floor when I saw your response and that is probably more small tent friendly from a height perspective not loosing the headroom.

Do you use the top or bottom vents for intakes in that scenario and have you seen any effect on temperature vs exhausting out the top?

Thanks again!!!!

I was just thinking about why not to put it on the floor when I saw your response and that is probably more small tent friendly from a height perspective not loosing the headroom.

Do you use the top or bottom vents for intakes in that scenario and have you seen any effect on temperature vs exhausting out the top?

Thanks again!!!!

With filter on the floor, it's probably best to intake thru an upper port hole on the opposite side of the tent. That way the air travels the maximum possible distance thru the tent thru the plants.
I grow using the high humidity the VPD chart recommends, so I blow fog from an ultrasonic humidifier into the tents above the plants thru an upper port hole. Either a plant hanger or a wire shelving unit can support humidifiers. I also have a heater outside the tent high up.
Basement temps are around 70 F, and I don't have heat problems. I exhaust thru a basement window.

Put them outside the tent if you want more room. I've had my fan on top of my filter outside of my tents for years. You merely need to crack a window for fresh air.

When I did have fan/filter inside tent, I opened a lower screen or sock for incoming air and had my fan/filter mounted at top of tent sucking out of the sock at top of tent ceiling opposite or top of wall opposite. You want air to come in, going up and through the plants and then out.

I ziptied the filter to the top of the tent close the upper port hole. My extraction fan is on top of the tent suspended

Back