Indoor Higer Temperautes for Germination

Grim Reefer

DWC & LST
Reaction score
I have actually tried this and so far it has worked, the articles talks about a higher temperature for seed germination rather than the recommended 68-78F. I paced some seeds to soak in water regulated at 80F and in less than 24 hours they dropped and were ready to be placed into the growing medium. It will be interesting to see if the seedlings brake above the soil quicker than usual. This article says to go a little higher up to 90F and you will get faster germination than usual. You can find the link to the thread here.

this is a collection of 411 i found across the web, all my sources will be stated and full credit goes to the author. If u have anything to add do so, we need as much info as we can so please feel free to drop your knowledge here.

marijuanaseedgermination.gif

Germination Guide : Special Treatment of Seeds before Sowing
Germination%20and%20Seedling%20Growth.gif

GERMINATION OF SEED

When germinating seed it is helpful to remember that a seed is made up of three parts:

* an outer protective coat
* a food supply under the seed coat (the endosperm)
* an embryo of a young plant

The protective coat prevents sprouting until ideal growing conditions exist. Bringing seeds out of dormancy involves manipulating conditions to hasten germination. Even with ideal conditions, some seeds are still very difficult to germinate.

There are several factors that affect germination. Water (moisture), light (or dark), oxygen and heat play a part in triggering germination. In addition to environmental factors, seed MUST be viable.

Water is essential in the first phase of germination. Water penetrates the seed coat and causes the endosperm to swell. The seed coat, softened by water, splits open as the endosperm swells. The water dissolves nutrients in the endosperm making them available to the embryo and growth begins.

The growing medium must be constantly moist, but not wet. Any dry period may cause death of the sprouting embryo.

Light can stimulate or inhibit a seed's germination. This determines whether the seed should be sown on the surface of the growing medium or below the surface. Check the seed packet or catalog for light requirements.

Oxygen is required by the embryo to begin growing. The seed must respire to break down the food stored in the seed. This is one reason for using a light, well-aerated growing medium for starting seeds.

Every seed has an optimum temperature range for germination. Many seeds have a fairly wide temperature range for germination, but some are limited to a narrow range. The temperature range is usually given on the seed packet or in the catalog.

The temperatures required by many seeds are higher than those in most homes. The desired constant temperature can be achieved through heating cables placed under germination containers. Setting flats or pots on radiators, the furnace or on the refrigerator will provide bottom heat. However, these locations may be too hot and cause the soil to dry too quickly.

Once germination occurs, a different, usually lower, temperature may be required for optimal growth of the seedlings.

Moisture & Heat
85 - 90 degrees F is best and required to make the seed germinate.

For good germination, lay a few layers of paper towels in a dish.

Place seeds in center of dish. Lay 2 or 3 layers of paper towels on top of the seeds. Moisten with sterilized water (boil it).

Place dish/bowl in warm area or by heat or atop a heating pad. This is true also if you germinate seeds in rockwool, Oasis cubes, or other medium, keep it moist and warm.

NEVER, NEVER LET THE SEEDS DRY OUT!!

Do NOT use bleach or mix bleach with the water. Who started this rumour? Some crazy jive ass fool, I'll bet.

USING BLEACH WILL KILL YOUR SEEDS!!

When the seeds sprout, and the white shoot emerges, transplant (root down) into your soil or rockwool or whatever medium you are working with. Treat very gently, don't break the root tip.

Some seeds take up to 12 days to start germination, but most will germinate within 24 to 72 hours. Be patient, give your valuable seeds a chance to sprout before tossing them out.

Do not let seeds dry out - place Saran Wrap over the dish and store in a dark place. Add small quantities of water when needed to keep moist.

Germination Techniques

I have been experimenting with seed germination each time someone complains of seed non-germination. I have discovered some very interesting things.

Some varieties of seeds will not germinate in moisture (between paper towels or in water itself or in moistened rockwool or moistened vermiculite) at room temperature but germinate fine at 90 degrees, about 20 degrees higher than room temperature.

I took the White Widow(WW),Northern Lights (NL),and Bubble Gum(BG) and placed 20 seeds in a moistened porcelain bowl with sterile water, seeds between paper towels (plastic wrap over bowl to keep in moisture) and left them in a cupboard. The temp there was 68 degrees on average.

I took 20 each of the same 3 strains and put them in between paper towels moistened with sterile water (with plastic wrap over the bowls too keep in all moisture) right above an electric baseboard heater where the measurable temperature was 90 - 92 degrees.

In the first group, The WW had 2 germinate out of 20, NL had 3 out of 20, BG had 4 out of 20, and these took up to 4 days to pop.

In the second hotter group, 9 of 20 WW popped within 5 days, 15 NL popped within 72 hours, and 12 BG popped within 96 hours.

Wow, I was so impressed, and yet at the same time fascinated that I had never heard of this before. All these strains are equatorial in origin, so they need hot weather conditions to pop (like in nature where they come from, I imagine).

The NL had swollen to about twice their size, and the WW and BG increases in size by about 50%, allowing a vigorous shoot to emerge.

I haven't tested this on other strains, typically I always just put 'em in the cupboard and they pop, but now I am going to do some tests on old seeds, various new seeds, and see what happens at higher temperatures.

Source:
PLANT PROPAGATION
Germinating Marijuana Seeds Germinate Cannabis Seeds

Last edited:
Nice read mate cheers for sharing :Sharing One:

Great thread Grim! I have lost a lot of seeds to poor practice. I now use Ronin's germ method. It's simple, easy and everyone who has tried it, reports with Great success! Root riot cubes, tupperware container, water and a wifi router! All you need.

https://www.autoflower.org/f74/germination-ronin-way-33891.html

It has been my consensus, that high humidity, is just as important, if not more so. I have not yet temped the root riot cubes in the tupperware, while it is on the wifi router, but I would doubt it is in the 80's. There are several germination methods that work. Every grower is different, as is their environment. If one way does not get you the results, try another way. That being said, NOT trying to hijack your thread, just wanting to give folks another option, with seeds being 10 bucks a piece or more!:peace:

Now I understand why I don't seem to have a problem with germination , I seed direct to soil in the pot I want to grow in , and it is not often I get a seed that doe's not sprout , The boys chuck seeds in the garden beds and they pop up all the time . [ bag seed ]
so now I see it is because of my climate where I live [ Tropics ] warm soil - warm water - and most of the time seeds sprout in 3 days . :Cool bud:

Nice read mate cheers for sharing :Sharing One:
No problem dude thanks for having a look.
Great thread Grim! I have lost a lot of seeds to poor practice. I now use Ronin's germ method. It's simple, easy and everyone who has tried it, reports with Great success! Root riot cubes, tupperware container, water and a wifi router! All you need.

https://www.autoflower.org/f74/germination-ronin-way-33891.html

It has been my consensus, that high humidity, is just as important, if not more so. I have not yet temped the root riot cubes in the tupperware, while it is on the wifi router, but I would doubt it is in the 80's. There are several germination methods that work. Every grower is different, as is their environment. If one way does not get you the results, try another way. That being said, NOT trying to hijack your thread, just wanting to give folks another option, with seeds being 10 bucks a piece or more!:peace:

Thanks for sharing dude thats very interesting.
Now I understand why I don't seem to have a problem with germination , I seed direct to soil in the pot I want to grow in , and it is not often I get a seed that doe's not sprout , The boys chuck seeds in the garden beds and they pop up all the time . [ bag seed ]
so now I see it is because of my climate where I live [ Tropics ] warm soil - warm water - and most of the time seeds sprout in 3 days . :Cool bud:

At least now you know dude.

Great tips Grim. I been waiting 5-6 days for my seeds to crack and nothing yet. I'll give it a few more days and then I'll try again with warmer water and environment.

yeah my seeds dropped in 24 hours and were put straight in to the soil i tried the saran wrap for the laugh and no lie my 2 babies were up in less than 24 hours it was just over 25c in my grow room as well so it all makes sense :) great read man nice one

Back