Hit The Brix

Well, I hjad this thread locked until I was able to copy over...

but... a good friend has stopped in and wants to help...

C-Ray rom UDG...

So, without further ado... Everyone give a warm wlecome to C-Ray!!! :clap: :smokebuds: :pass: :group:

/'7/m,k
^
my puppy terry trichome says hi afn! just walked across the keyboard as I was about to type

hey folks just wanted to see how everyone is doing in the world of autos and type a few thoughts about autos in relation to the content of this thread..

been thinking about autos and first thing that was apparent in my mind is that the automatic plant is all about the seed, there are no true auto clones, semi's yes but ime a true auto will not revert, it is a one shot deal, plant and go.. so it is extremely important that the seed be of a high quality, ideally of the highest quality possible.. so I'd like to open a discussion about what can we do to grow the highest quality seed possible..

there are many things we can do to improve seed quality, it is surprising how many different things we can do.. it is inspiring to know we are standing on the tip of a very large iceberg, or at the base of a very large pyramid.. can we even fathom what the ultimate possibilities are?

I believe we are on the cusp of a cultural revolution, one where folks remember the importance of the farm in society and the necessity to grow food of the highest quality possible.. steiner back in the 20's said that society was culturally on the decline, mainly due to the rise of growing food for quantity and the gradual move away from traditional practices.. that humanity would have less will power and the ability to think for ones self, less ability to connect with ones essence, their essential nature, their purpose, their source of inner strength etc etc.. that nutrition is tremendously important, but even more important is balance.. everything in moderation so to speak.. it is all important on the farm, every little task, we need to see to them all... it is the same with a solitary plant, it will thrive when it has everything available that it needs, in a relative balance.. so step 1 could be for instance offering a serving of balanced nutrition to the plant.. the work of Carey Reams and William Albrecht have been incredibly helpful in establishing some guidelines for soil mineral balance.. step 2 might be making those minerals available, with the help of biology, and imho there is no better way then through the magic and alchemical art of making compost.. step 3 may be about nurturing the plants, which in my mind involves any sort of intervention that we may choose to do, whatever thing we do to connect with our plant friends and form a bond not unlike a mother has with their children.. this can be as simple as meditating upon the plants or as complex as taking tissue tests, soil tests, plant sap monitoring and analyses, etc and supplementing their nutrition, offering gifts that may help them to increase their vitality.. step 4 could be something like allowing nature to have her imprint upon the plants, allowing the plants to take up all the sun, wind, rain, fog, dew, moonlight, even frost, allowing for the bees and butterflies to add their special touch, the birds to sing, worms to wiggle, etc etc..

..to be continued

some consideration should be given to following the theories of localized seed selection (ECIWO / Embryo Containing the Information of the Whole Organism)

imho we want to pollinate only the vibrant and vital top colas of the mommas and leave the bottoms for consumption.. further to that the males can be pruned of all their lower flowers and pollen only collected/distributed from the uppermost flowers.. the more serious seed maker might even want to strip away all the lower branches and any low caliber branch and let the momma direct all of her energy into only the thickest branches..

Last edited:
We-heh-helllllllllll...look who decided to show up at AFN! :booya::booya::booya::booya:

And a big welcome to ya, my brother...:buds:

It's ECE, if you hadn't put that together. :thumbs:

• Love
Reactions: JM
right on bro.. cheers :brow:

• Love
Reactions: JM
Sweet! Dude, I totally agree... I thought autos would be easier... but I quickly discovered that they require a person to be a bit MORE in tune with their plants. It has, among other things, made me realize the nuances of growing and increased my growing skills tremendously. Now I am switched to organics. (My own mixes etc) from FF stuff before..

And now learning bio dynamics... I am taking another evolutionary step. Thank you so much for sharing all the info you are and have. It has tremendously transformed my understanding of plants, nutrients, and their relationships... including soil biology.

cheers mate! :smokeit:

ECIWO Seed Selection

Killer Read C-ray! This changes EVERYTHING! Literally!

I had to repeat this text here for redundancy.

ECIWO seed selection
How to Rejuvenate Worn-out and Inbred Crops Using Localized Seed Selection

You are about to be introduced to a new frontier of science, a new branch of biology that will forever change the way you think about seed production and genetics.

Biology professor Yingqing Zhang at Shandong University, in the People�s Republic of China, put forth the theory of ECIWO biology, which has applications in medicine, genetics, biochemistry, agriculture and other sciences. ECIWO (Embryo Containing the Information of the Whole Organism) biology applications for seed selection are revolutionary, simple, and any seed producer can quickly come to understand and master.

Many plants can be propagated asexually through cuttings and tissue culture. A somatic cell (nonembryonic cell) contains all the genetic information to be able to develop into a new complete organism. Plants are made of cells, and cells form into the various plant parts. These parts are called ECIWOs i.e. cells, branches, leaves, flowers etc.

Every ECIWO has its corresponding relationship to every other ECIWO of the same organism. This is called the bio-holographic law. In other words, a sprout on a branch is a new little plant on the bigger plant.

Let us take the shape of a leaf; if the leaf is long and narrow, the entire plant tends to grow long and narrow. If a leaf is wide at the bottom and narrow at the top, the plant will also, as a whole, be shaped similarly. Obovate leaves indicate that the leaves are on the ends of the branches.

Flower petals indicate where they are located on the plant. If the petals are wide at the top and narrow at the bottom they tend to be born at the top of the plant or at the end of the branches. If the petals are triangular (narrow at the top) the flowers tend to be borne at the bottom of the branches such as in eggplants.

Fruits also often indicate their position by their shape. Figs are narrow at the top and wide at the end are borne at the ends of the branches. Peaches are round and are borne more towards the middle of the branches.

Wheat seed has its greatest genetic potential for producing seed at the middle of the spike. Chinese agronomists have painstakingly taken the grains from each position on the spike from hundreds of wheat plants and planted the seed. The differences in yields are remarkable.

Yields are increased 13. 90% to16.95% over using the seed from the whole spike. Starting from the bottom, the 4th seed position up to about the 12th is where the greatest genetic potential exists for high grain yields. The awns on the spike are modified leaves or ECIWOs, which explains why seed is chosen from the middle instead of the top of the spike.

There is also a correlation between seed size and its genetic potential position on the wheat spike. The biggest seeds grow the most grain. Chinese researchers have developed a seed separator that separates the small wheat seed from the large seed. Yields using this seed are 11.3% higher than seed used from the whole spike.

Since there are more seed with medium or inferior genetic potential on a plant than that of superior quality, using all the seed will cause the variety to degenerate. Studies on 6 wheat varieties show that yields decrease 1.54% to 3.49% per year. In a few years the variety will be weak and worn out.

It can take 10 years to develop a new outstanding wheat variety. Much time and effort can be saved using localized seed selection to improve old varieties and develop new varieties, because it is now known where the superior seeds are located.

Sorghum and millet seed for grain production are chosen from the top of the seed head. The seed head is an ECIWO, like a small plant on the big plant, the top corresponds to seed production, the middle to forage production and the bottom for root production. Seed chosen from the top has 6.4% to 26.3% higher yield of grain than seed from the bottom of the ear.

An ear of corn grows on the middle of the corn stalk. Seed chosen from the middle of the ear has the greatest genetic potential for seed production. Studies have shown seed selected from the middle of the ear will yield from 5.9% to 19.9% higher than seed from the lower or upper thirds of the ear. Yields as high as 35% greater have been recorded.

In potatoes the lower part of the plant is what we want to develop. When selecting seed potatoes, the lower half or distal end of the potato is used and yields up to 20% more potatoes. The upper half may be used for consumption. Also the potatoes can be cut vertically and will give greater yields that when using mixed top and bottom halves.

Top halves yield the least. The distal bud on the deepest, largest potatoes have the greatest genetic potential for tuber production. Viruses don�t exist evenly in the tuber; this same distal bud has the least virus. Therefore, by growing plants from this distal bud we can get rid of viruses.

Rice grain is born on the top of the plant and seed is selected from the upper 1/3 of the panicles. Yield increases up to 17% higher than when the whole panicle is used for seed. For even greater efficiency the lower grains can be cut off while developing, putting all the plant�s energy into the upper 1/3 forming seeds.

For Chinese cabbage, seed is selected from the lower middle near the main stem. Yields increase 11-18.5%.

Seed for turnips are collected from the lower middle region of the first lateral branches. Yields increase 14-23%.

Cucumber seed is harvested from the second or third fruit near the middle lower section of the plant. Yield increase is 10%.

Pole bean seed is selected in the lower regions and bush beans are chosen at the middle region. General yield increase: 5- 10%.

Choose the lower sprouts of sweet potatoes for transplanting, studies show yield increases of 13.2% to over 30%.

By choosing flower seeds for floral culture from only the top, flowers will have a greater uniformity in flowering time and a larger percentage of marketable flowers. If seeds were saved only from the second from the top flowers, blooming time will be 5 to 7 days later. Seed from the 3rd flowers will be even later to bloom and will have smaller inferior flowers.

Choosing seed from only from the side branches can increase the sugar content of beets. Sugar content increases 6% to 6.9% by using cuttings from the side buds of the root. However, the plants grow slower with smaller roots. The most vigorous plants come from seed produced from the lower seeds from the middle of the seed stalk. Plant breeders can cross high sugar cultivars with vigorous growing beets to produce improved varieties.

ECIWO theory explains why carrots can inbreed or degenerate in just 2 generations. I have been frustrated growing carrot seed; after 2 generations the carrots grow as big as my thumb and have a greater tendency to bolt. Naturally, I have been selecting seed from the big beautiful umbel on top, thus I was selecting for top growth instead of large roots.

These principles may have been known long ago, ECIWO theory can easily explain how Beta vulgaris could be developed into garden and sugar beets, mangels and Swiss chard; or how Brassica oleracea could have been developed into cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi, Brussels sprouts or collards.

Localized selected seed is now used in China on many thousands of hectares providing increased yields and economic returns.

ECIWO theory explains why varieties degenerate and the genetic variation at the different seed production locations on plants. Thus, through a simple technique that any backyard gardener can understand, old worn-out varieties can be rejuvenated using localized seed selection.

This is a new field of study that is wide open for new discoveries, and there is much research that is needed for many different crops, ranging from field and vegetable crops to pomology and viticulture. I also believe that even new crops can be developed from wild plants using these principles.

References:

Zhang Yingqing, ECIWO biology and medicine, Neimengga People�s Press. 1987

Zhang, Yingqing,. The 1985 Publication of an Outline of ECIWO biology, 1990 English translation by Y. Wang and Z.Y. Hu, from Holographic Biology Research 1985, Shandong University Press, Pp, 1-21.

Progress in ECIWO Biology and its Applications to Medicine and Agronomy: Proceedings of the First International Congress of ECIWO Biology (Singapore), edited by T.T. Ang and Y.G. Shi. Beijing: Higher Education Press, Pp. 52-81.

Fu Zhaolin, A study of Wheat ECIWO Localized Seed Selection, Proceedings of the 3rd International Congress of ECIWO Biology. 1996

Bi Yihua, A Summary of the Tests of Wheat ECIWO Localized Seed Selection, Ibid.

Shi Zhenyun, Researches into ECIWO Localized Seed Selection (LSS) in Increasing Stem Tuber Yield, Ibid.

Xing Zuofu, Li Jingyang, Mao Guiying, Shen Cuizhen, Shen Lizhi, Zhang Yuguang, Cui Xuemei, Achievements in the Application Research of ECIWO Localized Seed Selection, Ibid.

Shixian Zhang, A Summary of the Test on Rice ECIWO Localized Seed Selection, Ibid.

Wang Ruiku, Liu Xidong, Du Jingsheng, ECIWO Biological Researches into Potatoes Multi-Level and Multi-Orientation ECIWO Localized Seed Selection, Ibid.

Lu Shide, Guo Shucai, Sun Honglai, Sun Wenjun, Liu Juntian and Cheng Xiatiang, A Summary of the Bio-Holographic Localized Seed Selection Experiment on Sorghum. (Seed Supply Center of Yishui County, Shandong, P.R. China).

Wei Sanli, An Application of ECIWO Biology in Horticulture, Biology College, Beijing Agriculture University, P.R. China.

� Stephen Coleman 2004

A few anecdotal comments:

Buffalo Bird Woman, a 19th century Native American comments on traditional gardening. These traditions have been handed down from perhaps pre-columbian times and they used similar ECIWO seed selection techniques.

A Mexican friend tells me his family specialized in raising seed corn in a remote area of Mexico. They choose the seed from the middle of the ear and kept that as a family secret. He said the grew they best seed in the area.

Native Americans in the southwest traditionally saved corn seed from the bottom of the ear. This produced small corn cobs and plants with massive root systems capable of surviving the dry conditions of the desert climate.

I myself have improved a landrace hulless barley with ECIWO seed saving techniques to the point that it out-yields modern hulless varities.

6jlw6a_th.jpg
C Ray to AFN.:smokebuds:looking forward to your contributions
jointma4.gif

OneLove:peace:

Luther Burbank, arguably the most prolific and diverse plant breeder of modern times, had a very similar whacked out theory that if you counted down the seeds that formed starting from the apex of the spiral at the tip of each bud and wrapping down the sprial of each bud that each one had different qualities. For instance perhaps the top seed would be a better yielder, the third seed would make more aromatic flowers, the 6th seed would grow plants with stronger root structures, etc...something like that. He actually took the time to pick specifically located seeds from the plants and would then grow them by the thousands. I think it's an idea that merits further study, though one should ideally be selecting for observable qualities first and foremost, then select and label seeds specifically located seeds from the prime candidates. There would be nothing to lose by such a study, except maybe a bit of effort. I am in particular curious about the differences in seeds collected from early pollinated pre-flowers compared to seeds collected from the later bud. With a large enough sample size definite correlations or lack thereof could be determined.
- C-ray comment.. :gthumb:

Next part of re-post:
The Outline of the ECIWO Theory
ECIWO Biology Institute of Shandong University

Yingqing Zhang, Professor
(ECIWO Biology Institute, Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong 250100, P. R. China)

Do various organs or various relatively independent parts of the plant have the same essence? It also can say, are branches, leaves, leaflets, leaf lobes, veins, leaf bunches, flowers, calyxes, petals, carpels, stamens, pollens, roots, cells etc. all the same in essence? This is an important problem of universal significance in botany.

Previous studies have not solved the problem. For example, Goethe believed various organs of the plant are all the metamorphosis of the leaf. But Bower thought that leaves are secondary and it is branches that are the basic units of the plant. Though these results are very useful to explain the evolution among some organs, the same essence of all organs of the plant has not been found. However, I find that each of various organs or various relatively independent parts of the plant is a specialized new individual being both at a certain stage of its own ontogenesis and a component of the plant, and discover the essential unity of various organs of the plant. It provides a completely new view of the plant for understanding anew multitudinous problems in botany, and opens a way for directionally changing the characters of the plant according to human needs.

In the past, the term Embryo meant a new individual at the early stage of ontogenesis, namely, the young. However, I use the term Embryo in wide sense and it means generally a new individual that may be at every stage of ontogenesis, no matter whether it is at early, middle or late stage. For example, the zygote can be regarded as a embryo at the earliest stage of ontogenesis, and adult can be regarded as a embryo at the very late stage of ontogenesis. I have put forward the view that an organism not only develops from an embryo but also is composed of multitudinous embryos at various levels below the whole organism. An embryo composing the organism has three characteristics: 1, it lives in the parent body and is a component of the parent body; 2, it is specialized and performs a certain function in the organism to serve the whole; 3, it is at a certain stage of its own ontogenesis, and in many cases, it cannot continue to develop into an independent adult because the embryo is specialized and the whole organism inhibits its development. I have named such an embryo an ECIWO (an acronym for Embryo Containing the Information of the Whole Organism). The definition of the ECIWO is a specialized embryo being both at a certain stage of its own ontogenesis and a component of the whole organism.

This paper will prove that various organs or various relatively independent parts of a plant, such as branches, leaves, leaflets, leaf lobes, veins, leaf bunches, flowers, calyxes, petals, carpels, stamens, pollens, roots, metamorphosis branches and leaves, cells, etc. are all ECIWOs. This paper will found the plant ECIWO theory and also explain anew the nature of the development and the reason for producing stipuls, prophylls of a branch and compound, lobose, or opposite leaves.

To sum up, the plant ECIWO theory has the following key points.

1. An ECIWO is a specialized embryo being both at a certain stage of development and a component of the whole plant. An ECIWO is a relatively independent new individual first, and then it may be the component of the plant. The condition that a part of a plant may be an ECIWO is that the part has relatively clear boundaries to its surrounding parts in structure and function, so it can relatively be isolated from other parts. In a plant, any relatively independent part with relatively clear boundaries to its surrounding parts in structure and function is an ECIWO.
  2. The autonomous development of an ECIWO is the ontogenesis of the ECIWO as a relatively independent new individual. In a plant, each stage of the autonomous development of an ECIWO has its corresponding stage in the ontogenesis of the plant. An ECIWO at a certain stage of the autonomous development rough recapitulates the course from the early stage to the corresponding stage of the ontogenesis of the plant, and the ECIWO is similar in general character marks to the plant at the corresponding stage of the ontogenesis. ECIWOs may have different degrees of autonomous development and may also have different directions and different degrees of specialization, so they may have the ability of boundless metamorphoses and can become different organs and parts of the plant.
  3. A plant is composed of multiplicate ECIWOs at different stages of development and with different specialization. A certain ECIWO can be divided into many ECIWOs of lower levels, and many ECIWOs can compose an ECIWO of a higher level. In a multi cellular plant, there exist multiple ECIWOs contained grade by grade between the level of the whole plant and the cell level, and the whole plant is the ECIWO whose developmental degree is the highest, and a single somatic cell is an ECIWO whose developmental degree is the lowest. They are both the special cases of the ECIWO. In a plant, there exist substance changes among different ECIWOs, and ECIWOs can coordinate each other and serve the whole plant.
  4. The nature of the development of the plant is the ECIWO multiplication, the respective development of ECIWOs and the respective specialization of ECIWOs. In the past, the cell theory has discovered the unity among different cells, but it can not solve the problem of the unity of different organs above the cell level. However, the plant ECIWO theory has discovered that the various organs or the various relatively independent parts of each level from the cell to the whole plant are all ECIWOs and all have essential unity. The cell is only one kind of ECIWOs, so the cell theory of the plant has been contained by the plant ECIWO theory. The totipotency of the somatic cell is the basis of the existence of the ECIWO. Owing to the semiconservative replication of DNA and the mitosis of cells, in general, a somatic cell has the same whole set of genes as the zygote. In artificial medium, the somatic cell separated from the plant may develop into a new individual; but in thebody of the parent itself, namely the natural medium, the somatic cell that is not separated from the plant may also develop to a new individual and may specialize in the development course, so that any relatively independent part can become a specialized embryo at a certain stage of development, namely, an ECIWO. In addition, there is a clear and major difference between the plant ECIWO theory and the totipotency theory of the somatic cell. The latter points out that the somatic cell has the latent ability to develop to a new individual, while the former points out that it is a fact that the somatic cell develops to anew individual in the natural plant itself. The totipotency theory of the somatic cell alone can not explain the nature of various organs or relatively independent parts of the plant, and can not explain the unity and the variety of various organs or various relatively independent parts of the plant either.

The plant ECIWO theory discovers that a plant consists of symbiotic and multiple ECIWOs. And different parts of a plant are the same in essence, namely, they are all ECIWOs. So, the theory has provided a completely new view of the plant. This may be a fundamental and conceptual change for botany, so it will exert important influence on various theoretical and applied fields related to plants. For an example, an ECIWO is a new individual in essence, so it can have both heredity and variability, and the variability is determined to a great extent by the certain character of the position where the ECIWO lives in the parent, and the variability in the progeny is towards increasing the certain character of the position of the parent. So, that the ECIWO at the certain position is used as the reproduce material may set off the directive variation. About this problem, I have advanced the theory of the dynamic equilibrium between cDNA retrojoining and loss in the genome, the theory of ECIWO localized seed selection being effective, the method of the ECIWO localized seed selection and the theory of the trans-geno combination for the strength of the expected character based on the ECIWO theory. The method of the ECIWO localized seed selection has been used successfully in the fields of agriculture, horticulture, plant tissue culture etc.16 The plant ECIWO theory also has a general biological significance. It will greatly help people to understand and accept the general ECIWO theory that the general organism including the human body and other animals is composed of ECIWOs.

List of Prof. Yingqing Zhang's Publications (in English)

1. ECIWO and Its Application to Medicine: New Discoveries of the Unity Among the Different Structural Units of an Organism and the Physiological or Pathological Correlation in a human Body, 147pp.,Shandong Press of Science and Technology, 1991
  2. ECIWO Theory in Medicine, 763pp., This book included practical papers of over 150 doctors. High Education Press, 1992
  3. The Proceedings of Third International Congress of ECIWO Biology and The First International Congress of ECIWO Acupuncture Medicine, 500pp., This book included practical papers of over 200 doctors. Qingdao Publishing House,1996
  4. A New View of the Organism -- The ECIWO and Its Solution of some Challenging Problems In the Frontiers of Medicine and Biology, 173pp. Peace Book Co. Ltd. Hong Kong, 1992
  5. Progress in ECIWO Biology and Its Applications to Medicine and Agronomy, Including 61 clinic papers by nearly 80 doctors. 639pp. High Education Press,1990
  6. ECIWO Biology and Medicine: A New Theory of Conquering Cancer and a Completely New Acupuncture Therapy. This book is translated from Chinese book " ECIWO Diagnosis and Therapy", 257pp. Neimenggu People's Press, 1987.
  7. Videotape, 90 minutes, including 3 films. (a) ECIWO: a New Discovery in Biology. (b) ECIWO Diagnosis and therapy. (c) ECIWO View of the Human Body.

List of ECIWO Medical Instruments

1. Electroeciwograph for diagnosis
  2. ECIWO Instrument for Treatment

Back