Extraction How does rosin compare to other concentrates?

Rosins vs. Concentrates: Comparisons?

BII

Reaction score
I am starting to become interested in getting a rosin press. But I have no exposure or experience at all with rosin - never tried or even seen it; while I do have experience with the legal/dispensary shatter, budder, oil, etc. organic solvent extracted and distillate concentrate products. Some questions:

1) How does pressed rosin compare to the usual solvent extracted concentrates in terms of potency? THC/THCa levels? Other cannabinoids and terpenes?
2) With rosin undergoing no purification, to what extent is rosin consumption degraded by the presence of a good amount of chlorophyll, cell proteins, nutrients, etc. that I presume remain?
3) Local dispensaries are now pushing 'live' concentrates prepared (by usual solvent extraction) from fresh frozen buds. How does rosin compare to this?
4) How do the effects of rosin (say from the same buds) compare to the solvent extracted concentrates and the source buds? Which do you consider better?
5) How chemically/physically stable is rosin? Must/should it be consumed fresh -- immediately, same day, week, month?

Thank you.

CannabisMingus

good questions - well thought out and helpful to others
fireworks1.gif

1. :yeahthat:

2. It is not degraded it is pure! - well as pure as the bud you press.

3. Dabs get me as high as I can get. You really just need to try it Dabs.png.

4. Solvent extracts strip most terpenes. (not to mention leave behind some extra ingredients) Rosin is whole plant extract. It is all there.

5. I don't know I seem to use it all up before anything changes. You can put it in the freezer.

Did I mention it gets you high............. :rofl: In fact I am now with some Panama Red.

View attachment 1353401

1. :yeahthat:

3. Dabs get me as high as I can get. You really just need to try it View attachment 1353407.

4. Solvent extracts strip most terpenes. (not to mention leave behind some extra ingredients) Rosin is whole plant extract. It is all there.

5. I don't know I seem to use it all up before anything changes. You can put it in the freezer.

Did I mention it gets you high............. :rofl: In fact I am now with some Panama Red.
I haven't seen Panama red in years man....... Very jelious...... I made the best hash with Panama about five or six years ago....... I've been trying to find some more seeds for ages but hard to get certain strains In aus

I haven't seen Panama red in years man....... Very jelious...... I made the best hash with Panama about five or six years ago....... I've been trying to find some more seeds for ages but hard to get certain strains In aus
These are from the Ace Seeds Panama Breeders pack 2019. I grew them last year. I grew the lemon, Green and Red. They all press at 18% plus. The Lemon has the most lemon flavor of anything I have grown before. The Red is incense floral and the Green is the same but more sweet. They take forever to grow but it is worth it.

_DSC1900.JPG

Good luck in your search. I don't know if Ace ships down under?
:goodluck:

Pressed rosin is not 'pure' chemically. It is a complex mixture of the fluid and fluidizable components of the cannabis tissues/cells that have been compressed. Rosin could be considered 'pure' in the sense of it being a pure (including in sense of natural) botanical extract.

Rosin undergoes no purification, not even to remove particulates, cellular debris. chlorophyll, etc. I presume(?) that crushed cannabis, like any other plant tissues/cells, will exude just about all its cellular contents other than the cell walls/cellulose. This includes all the contents of the cytosol/cell fluid including chloroplasts (containing chlorophyll); soluble and structural-derived proteins; the salts, sugars, etc. in the cell fluid; the cell nucleus/chromosomes with considerable nucleic acid/DNA; mitochondria and other organelles; etc. Collectively (to me), this amounts to a lot of objectionable and surely unneeded gunk/junk; just guessing 15-20% of tissue/cell fluid (and rosin?) content. And rosin would also contain some residual water, another contaminant! In contrast, organic solvent extracted concentrates, oils, etc. will contain just extracted cannabinoids and some structurally similar terpenes.

Questions:
1. But in actual use, even though rosin seems far from being chemically pure, much like good bud, it "goes down smooth" when vaped and is even preferable vs. solvent extracted, genuinely-purified concentrates, oils, etc.?
2. How does the THCa/THC content of rosin compare to the solvent extracted concentrates, oils, etc.? What might be typical percentages?
3. How does rosin subjectively compare to dry-sifted hash (which seems a good viable and cheaper option to pressing rosin)?
3. How does freshly-pressed rosin compare to the "live" (from fresh frozen buds) concentrates, oils, etc. from dispensaries?

Pressed rosin is not 'pure' chemically. It is a complex mixture of the fluid and fluidizable components of the cannabis tissues/cells that have been compressed. Rosin could be considered 'pure' in the sense of it being a pure (including in sense of natural) botanical extract.

Rosin undergoes no purification, not even to remove particulates, cellular debris. chlorophyll, etc. I presume(?) that crushed cannabis, like any other plant tissues/cells, will exude just about all its cellular contents other than the cell walls/cellulose. This includes all the contents of the cytosol/cell fluid including chloroplasts (containing chlorophyll); soluble and structural-derived proteins; the salts, sugars, etc. in the cell fluid; the cell nucleus/chromosomes with considerable nucleic acid/DNA; mitochondria and other organelles; etc. Collectively (to me), this amounts to a lot of objectionable and surely unneeded gunk/junk; just guessing 15-20% of tissue/cell fluid (and rosin?) content. And rosin would also contain some residual water, another contaminant! In contrast, organic solvent extracted concentrates, oils, etc. will contain just extracted cannabinoids and some structurally similar terpenes.

Questions:
1. But in actual use, even though rosin seems far from being chemically pure, much like good bud, it "goes down smooth" when vaped and is even preferable vs. solvent extracted, genuinely-purified concentrates, oils, etc.?
2. How does the THCa/THC content of rosin compare to the solvent extracted concentrates, oils, etc.? What might be typical percentages?
3. How does rosin subjectively compare to dry-sifted hash (which seems a good viable and cheaper option to pressing rosin)?
3. How does freshly-pressed rosin compare to the "live" (from fresh frozen buds) concentrates, oils, etc. from dispensaries?
Exactly my point. "Rosin undergoes no purification" It is nothing but the cannabis plant. To me that is pure - no chance for contamination from solvents- and everything from the plant including all of the terpenes and any other magical chemicals the plant has made for me are still in there. It is a whole plant product.

Rosin averages 70% actives based on Cup Competition analysis.

I am not a chemist and subjective comparisons are what I have already offered.

You can make rosin from more than just bud, you can make it from anything with trichs on it.
Depending on your starting material you will achieve different levels of purity and yield. If you press trim you will have to press a lot and it will be pretty low grade, flower can give you a decent yield (I’ve had up to 25% a couple of rare and beautiful times) and depending on which micron bag you use you will get some very good, pure dabs with in my opinion better terps than you get from solvent extracts. Then there’s hash rosin, this is as about as pure as you’ll get as it’s been processed once during hash making, followed by a further purification by being pressed through the finest micron bag you can get, pretty sure most of that undesirable stuff will be gone by then. Haven’t got any details on THC levels and can’t compare to fresh frozen as I’ve never tried it, but can tell you if you can get your hands on some hash rosin you won’t be disappointed.

As "nothing but the cannabis plant" (other than cellulose/cell walls), I presume the subjecrtive experience or high from consumption (by vaping, dabbing, etc.) is much the same as vaping potent buds, other than it being liquid with this allowing for dabbing, easier vaporizing or otherwise much larger doses/hit (which changes the subjective experience, can get you 'higher'). So is dabbing or otherwise vaping rosin (I'd presumably be using my Yocan Evolve Plus) really much the same as vaping the source buds, but just much more potent?

Any idea why dispensaries (at least in my state) don't sell rosin? It seems commercially competitive with current concentrates and oils yet cheaper, simpler, quicker, etc. to make (just 1 step) vs. solvent extraction or dry sifting, and could be hyped/promoted as more natural or 'purer' vs. solvent extracts.

[I still think that before buying a press, I will explore dry sifting to make hash. I have all the proper screens and sifting box, but just haven't had to time to get around to this. Otherwise, I keep a stash of dispensary shatter on hand for occasional use (with 80% range shatter locally costing $33/g when on sale)].

Last edited:
I don’t believe it’s financially viable as flower vs flower rosin will make you roughly the same. Hash rosin sells for a lot but is extremely labour intensive to make so thats probably why you dont see much of it.

As "nothing but the cannabis plant" (other than cellulose/cell walls), I presume the subjecrtive experience or high from consumption (by vaping, dabbing, etc.) is much the same as vaping potent buds, other than it being liquid with this allowing for dabbing, easier vaporizing or otherwise much larger doses/hit (which changes the subjective experience, can get you 'higher'). So is dabbing or otherwise vaping rosin (I'd presumably be using my Yocan Evolve Plus) really much the same as vaping the source buds, but just much more potent?

Any idea why dispensaries (at least in my state) don't sell rosin? It seems commercially competitive with current concentrates and oils yet cheaper, simpler, quicker, etc. to make (just 1 step) vs. solvent extraction or dry sifting, and could be hyped/promoted as more natural or 'purer' vs. solvent extracts.

[I still think that before buying a press, I will explore dry sifting to make hash. I have all the proper screens and sifting box, but just haven't had to time to get around to this. Otherwise, I keep a stash of dispensary shatter on hand for occasional use (with 80% range shatter locally costing $33/g when on sale)].
For purest smoke all round dry sift or make bubble hash, keeping different grades separate. Keep A grade as hash as pressing won’t improve anyway. Press lower grades through 37 or 25 micron bag at low temps for hash rosin. If you just want to try rosin so you can make your own conclusions you don’t have to drop big money on a press, you can just make it with hair straighteners and parchment… won’t be pure by any stretch of the imagination though as you can’t use a bag or control temps.

Back