How to MOD an X-Vape Nail to last longer.

Mañ'O'Green

Kia ora. Retired to watch the grass grow.
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabs of Rosin.
I love my X-Vape One with a bubbler! It has a weakness that I can fix. The hot rosin oil can leak down the wires of the ceramic heating element and eventually renders the nail nonfunctional as the air flow stops. You can clean them but it is not easy and really does not work for long.

Here is the fix:

A new Nail Assembly:

IMG_20230910_155043104.jpg

Unscrew the top ring, There is a O-ring in the top don't lose it.

IMG_20230910_155126064.jpg

Remove the center post from the bottom, I just use my finger nails.

IMG_20230910_155156447.jpg
IMG_20230910_155255397.jpg

From the top lift out the silicon bowl with the ceramic heating disc. This will expose the two wires to the heating disk. It is where these wires come through the silicone bowl where the leaking takes place.

IMG_20230910_155526895.jpg

Get some High Heat RTV silicone gasket maker and put a tiny bit around the base of each wire and carefully pull the ceramic disk out about 1/4" , the idea is to pull some of the silicone gasket material down into the holes to make a good seal. I use a dental pick to do this. DO NOT PULL IT ALL OF THE WAY OUT! Then Gently seat the ceramic disk back into place. Let the RTV dry overnight. Reassemble making sure that the shorter wire is on the outside of the silicon bushing and metal barrel and the longer is pinched between the center post and the inside of the silicon bushing. You may need to clean some of the RTV off the wires if it gets too high up on them.

IMG_20230910_155734803.jpg

IMG_20230910_155907459.jpg

IMG_20230910_155549726.jpg

IMG_20230910_155617719.jpg

Some tips on use:

Do not overfill the nail, a dab smaller than a grain of rice is all that is needed for two big hits and sometimes a third. If you overfill the air holes in the side can get clogged.

Clean with a pointed cotton swab before reloading, just heat a little bit and swab her out!

IMG_20230910_160628717.jpg

I have had a nail last over 6 months vs a few weeks with this MOD.

Dabs Label.gif

:toke:

Thank you very much for the detailed help! I will say though that this is why I hate technology, buy something new then buy something extra you gotta do yourself just to make it last a little while.

I believe you. I’ll just buy a shit ton of nails.

While it is true that one of the deterioration components of the High Temp Red RTV Silicone is formaldehyde, The miniscule amount we are using here would likely be way less than the formaldehyde found in cannabis combustion alone.

RTVsilicone.jpg

While it is true that one of the deterioration components of the High Temp Red RTV Silicone is formaldehyde, The miniscule amount we are using here would likely be way less than the formaldehyde found in cannabis combustion alone.

View attachment 1631011
I know what is in it because this is not the first time I've encountered a vaper using this to 'improve' their vape. You've applied it directly to the heating element, and I can't stress enough how dangerous this is. It will leach into the porous ceramic, and you will most definitely taint every puff with toxins. I'm just trying to look out for you MOG, and for anyone else for that matter that may consider this because it's not safe. Inhalation of the byproducts created when it's heated and burned can most definitely put you in the hospital.

I know what is in it because this is not the first time I've encountered a vaper using this to 'improve' their vape. You've applied it directly to the heating element, and I can't stress enough how dangerous this is. It will leach into the porous ceramic, and you will most definitely taint every puff with toxins. I'm just trying to look out for you MOG, and for anyone else for that matter that may consider this because it's not safe. Inhalation of the byproducts created when it's heated and burned can most definitely put you in the hospital.
If that were true I would be dead by now because I have been using it for years now. The RTV does not come in contact with the heat element only the wires going through the silicon tub that the ceramic heat element is seated in. Granted the wires must get hot but if it were hot enough to cause the RTV to deteriorate it would not last very long. It seems to last longer than the ceramic heating element.

As far as formaldehyde is concerned there is much more in tobacco or cannabis smoke.

I don't feel that it is at all safe, and especially on the element.
Screenshot_2023-09-11-16-42-01-188.jpg

I do not put it on the element. The MDS sheet is based on the uncured product. I have in inquiry out to Permatex.
The entire ceramic housing is the heating element for crying out loud. And just look at where it says 'conditions to avoid' on the MSDS.....
Screenshot_2023-09-11-22-11-04-470.jpg

Back