If you grow with organic nutrients in soil do you use regular ph down?

Reaction score
I am growing in soil with biotabs organic dry amendments in the soil. My tap water is often high like 8 so I ph it down to 6 - 7. I have read that regular ph down may make problems for the beneficial microbes in the soil. What do you think of that for it?

I have read that many people using organics in soil do not ph but with it being that high I figured I would at least get it to the right range. Do you think the regular ph down is ok to use? I have ascorbic acid vitamin c powder that I use to remove chlorine or chloramine in the tap water and that does lower the ph some but I do not want to use a lot of it to keep the ph down as the ph also drifts up in the reservoir on there. What do you recommend for it on there?

I've been using lemon juice. Lol maybe that's been my issue. I use baking powder to bring it up.
Gonna follow this.

I am growing in soil with biotabs organic dry amendments in the soil. My tap water is often high like 8 so I ph it down to 6 - 7. I have read that regular ph down may make problems for the beneficial microbes in the soil. What do you think of that for it?

I have read that many people using organics in soil do not ph but with it being that high I figured I would at least get it to the right range. Do you think the regular ph down is ok to use? I have ascorbic acid vitamin c powder that I use to remove chlorine or chloramine in the tap water and that does lower the ph some but I do not want to use a lot of it to keep the ph down as the ph also drifts up in the reservoir on there. What do you recommend for it on there?
There is a difference between organic bottled nutrients and organic dry nutrients. Most organic bottled nutrients will still need to be ph'd to whatever the instructions suggest. Dry organic nutrients do not need the water to be ph'd.

IMPE lemon juice and Baking Soda are just fine for organics. There are some commercial organic products available just Google it.

In your situation You might think about adding a little extra dolomite or crushed lime to your soil to increase the buffering power and just water without adjusting the PH for your next grow.

In any event if you do not know what the PH in the root zone is then this is all just guess work. You need a good PH soil probe to check the PH in the root zone. Get a Blue Lab Leap soil probe and meter or an Accurate 8 soil probe or the clone of it. Don't buy cheap ones they just do not work.

:vibe:

Thanks. I am using organic dry amendments in soil for it. You would not even ph down from tap water that is high ph of 8 or more for it on there?

IMPE lemon juice and Baking Soda are just fine for organics. There are some commercial organic products available just Google it.

In your situation You might think about adding a little extra dolomite or crushed lime to your soil to increase the buffering power and just water without adjusting the PH for your next grow.

In any event if you do not know what the PH in the root zone is then this is all just guess work. You need a good PH soil probe to check the PH in the root zone. Get a Blue Lab Leap soil probe and meter or an Accurate 8 soil probe or the clone of it. Don't buy cheap ones they just do not work.

:vibe:

Is fresh squeezed OK? That's what I've been doing since I have some anyways.

Thanks. I am using organic dry amendments in soil for it. You would not even ph down from tap water that is high ph of 8 or more for it on there?
I don't ph anything.. And never check the ph of anything. But that's because I know my soil is alive and active and the ph of the soil and root zone is naturally being adjusted by the rhizosphere. When I think organic, I think of nature, or things that are natural. Nothing in nature uses ph up or down, and grows just fine using rain water that falls from the sky. no one is checking the ph of that water.

I don't ph anything.. And never check the ph of anything. But that's because I know my soil is alive and active and the ph of the soil and root zone is naturally being adjusted by the rhizosphere. When I think organic, I think of nature, or things that are natural. Nothing in nature uses ph up or down, and grows just fine using rain water that falls from the sky. no one is checking the ph of that water.
I admire you green thumbed guys/gals out there. I seem to be missing this gene as everything I put in soil dies... That's why Hydroponics has been such an relieve for me. All technical & math, everything can be measured and accounted for. Just the way I am I guess ;)

Let me just add that since you are still learning, that it won't hurt anything to check the ph or to ph the water to the proper range.

Back