LED Light Spectrum Question

The main issue is that you are not dealing with a full spectrum 400-700nm light. Current LEDs typically use Nichia, Samsung, Bridgelux, etc. That entire page is dubious from the wattage to the spectrum claims. That is a blurple using narrow bands of red and blue. Good LEDs will have a kelvin 3000-5000k, a CRI 80-98, a ppfd map, testing info and so on. Look at horticulture lighting group.

You're probably best off turning on the Bloom and Veg spectrums together. A lot of blue without red will stunt but a full spectrum light would have a balance between 400-700nm optimizing plant growth. All around lights for veg and bloom will be around 3500k whereas flower lights are 2700-3100k with veg being 4000-5000k. 5000k would be detrimental to cannabis but not to basil.

Have you watched anything by Bruce Bugbee?

I havent, but I'll check them out, ty! I looked up the LM301B diodes and the light and it said they were actually full spectrum; you're saying that it isn't actually full spectrum? I'll have to watch these videos and consider replacing the light.

I havent, but I'll check them out, ty! I looked up the LM301B diodes and the light and it said they were actually full spectrum; you're saying that it isn't actually full spectrum? I'll have to watch these videos and consider replacing the light.

Full spectrum should be a white light with either more blue or red based on the Kelvin. 2700k is similar to the color of hps lights and 4000k looks more like MH lights. That link shows purple light, that isn't full spectrum. I think there's a lot of false advertisement, that's not a 2000w light for one and modern lights don't use fans but thermal heat sinks to handle heat.

An easy way to add to your spectrum is to hit the hardware store and get a clamp light or two with CFL or LED bulbs in the spectrums your wanting to add.

the problem will be the spread the light is 21.1"*8.8"*2.8" meaning the light will spread from that footprint (strong in the middle weaker on the sides) outwards, the newer lamps with bars are designed to give a even coverage across the grow space

Thank you for all of the input @Bill.de.Cat and @>Potato . I had a side bar with @Death The Cultivator and found out how little I knew about lighting lol. I think the best bet will be to replace the light entirely when I can and go with a bar style one. I had done a lot of Google research but there is so much misinformation around LED grow lights that I ended up buying into marketing gimmicks. Lesson learned.

I am pretty sure you have 30 days to return it to amazon no question asked actually it says on Amazon free return for 90 days in US warehouse.

I am pretty sure you have 30 days to return it to amazon no question asked actually it says on Amazon free return for 90 days in US warehouse.
Unfortunately, I'm stuck making it work for now. Once its opened and been used, I think they only take it back outside the 30 day window if there is a manufacturer problem. It'll have to do for now and I'll finish this grow and then replace it. It works, it just isn't optimal. It's my fault anyway and I want to switch the exhaust fan out too so I'll overhaul my hardware between grows (my current exhaust fan is only 100cfm with no variable dial on it.)

I wouldn't worry too much 3-4 years ago burple lights were the rage and people grew great bud under it. LM301B led chip is pretty modern most budget lights use it with great effect.

I wouldn't worry too much 3-4 years ago burple lights were the rage and people grew great bud under it. LM301B led chip is pretty modern most budget lights use it with great effect.
Thank you, and yeah, I think it'll be fine. I'll still be replacing it when I can, but for now I'm already over budget and still learning so I'm not stressing out about it.

Different shades of red, purple, or blue can regulate the growth rate of plants. I've never adjusted my bulbs to a blue shade because I've learned that a muted red is best for plants that like soft light.

Back