Lighting expert talks cannabis

This is beautiful thanks for sharing
Is there a video that helps understand UVA and UVB effects aswell
I found the slide to be amazing and like to know what this guy thinks about it here’s a
image.jpg
pick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 105

I have lost track of how often I have studied, and I use the word deliberately, Dr. Bugbee's videos. I would take a plant science course from this fellow in a heartbeat, but really when it comes to cannabis, the youtube videos pretty much cover the plant science involved. There is one more video that needs to be added though, and it is here:

Maximizing Cannabis Yields with Dr Bruce Bugbee - YouTube

I realize that this is a bit off the lighting topic, but still part of the Dr. Bugbee package IMO.

Happy growing peeps, if you haven't listened to Dr. Bugbee, I recommend anything he has made available very highly indeed. :pighug:

I have lost track of how often I have studied, and I use the word deliberately, Dr. Bugbee's videos. I would take a plant science course from this fellow in a heartbeat, but really when it comes to cannabis, the youtube videos pretty much cover the plant science involved. There is one more video that needs to be added though, and it is here:

Maximizing Cannabis Yields with Dr Bruce Bugbee - YouTube

I realize that this is a bit off the lighting topic, but still part of the Dr. Bugbee package IMO.

Happy growing peeps, if you haven't listened to Dr. Bugbee, I recommend anything he has made available very highly indeed. :pighug:
Yep! That's another VERY good vid by the Doc!

what kind of light is that?
That's a hortilux CMH 315. Good light. I use CMH 315 lights. I like them quite a bit. And the main reason why I like them is their longevity, their proximity to what the sun gives us. There's different bulbs for different spectrums from deep UV to far-red. You can play with them and come up with different light recipes. And use them in conjunction with LEDs. Very versatile light.
20200314_093940.jpg
20200218_150459_HDR.jpg
20200314_100054.jpg
Capture+_2020-03-24-19-13-45-1_(1).png
Capture+_2020-03-24-19-13-45-1_(2).png
20200324_092906.jpg
20200324_093100.jpg

I've build my own experimental lights. Using CMH 315 lights with far-red led technology in the 700 nm range
20200518_233357.jpg

When I have time I run test and work with light recipes working towards some type of relevancy between light and the plant that I'm working at the time. Too with come up with some type of recipe that can provide me..for lack of a better word...a cookie cutter recipe with light for that particular strain of plant... So when I run it it'll run the same as last time. Or there abouts.

These two plants are identical clones 9 lb Swiss. One plant is underneath a more red 3100 K Spectrum and the other plant is Under a more blue light 41k Spectrum.
20210117_144150.jpg
20210119_090924_(1).jpg
20210209_101204.jpg
20210209_100100.jpg
To see the differences between more UV or more far red. And how to use them together to come up with a better outcome of my product.
Such as this experiment between more UV-light in the 41k Spectrum. Versus the 31k red spectrum
20210209_090730_(1).jpg
20210209_091055_(1).jpg
20210209_095103.jpg

So you can see there's definitely a difference. In weight for sure...it was 33 grams more using more red technology in this recipe versus using more blue...But there's lines that have to be observed when using more blue UV. When using more UV light he plant is protecting Itself by giving itself more cannabinoids more color pigments. That make it much brighter in color. You can see the blue plant versus the more red plant. This is because the far Red Spectrum tells the plant that is in the shade. And it doesn't need to protect itself from the UV and it will throw more leaves and more branches and more Bud sites to reach the light. The plant will Produce more product with a little bit less flavor...
So far that's what I know. There's more to it. We need a lot more people to run identical clones strains underneath lights and document what they're doing to come up with certain light recipes for those strains. It could be a baseline for that strain. From That Base Line then somebody could tweak it from there to their own.

Now that's all I got right now I got to get to work. Y'all take care hope this help somebody out. :headbang: :cheers: :pass:

Last edited:
This stuff is fascinating but burns my brain after a minute lol

I'll have to disagree with most of this thread, these days you really have to go out of your way to find a bad quality light. The video makes a major deal about the spectrum being responsible for the shape. This is of course true to a certain extent, but compared to the effect of the genotype it's as good as irrelevant. I currently have both my stockiest and willowiest plants growing in the same pot. There are so many thousands of strains and crosses out there that you just find the right one.

All the opinions are filtered through selection bias, for example saying that you're growing clones under to slightly different lights and then attributing the difference to the lights, might be right, but it also might be just that one plant grew more than the other. You'd need to do this with 20 plants or at least 10 in each batch and average the result. I grew only photoperiod clones many 25 years ago and while they are similar they still vary among themselves.

The point I want to make is not that spectrum is irrelevant it's that it's just a distraction.

I'll have to disagree with most of this thread, these days you really have to go out of your way to find a bad quality light. The video makes a major deal about the spectrum being responsible for the shape. This is of course true to a certain extent, but compared to the effect of the genotype it's as good as irrelevant. I currently have both my stockiest and willowiest plants growing in the same pot. There are so many thousands of strains and crosses out there that you just find the right one.

All the opinions are filtered through selection bias, for example saying that you're growing clones under to slightly different lights and then attributing the difference to the lights, might be right, but it also might be just that one plant grew more than the other. You'd need to do this with 20 plants or at least 10 in each batch and average the result. I grew only photoperiod clones many 25 years ago and while they are similar they still vary among themselves.

The point I want to make is not that spectrum is irrelevant it's that it's just a distraction.

I have also watched this but in the past and agree with you. I personally feel spectrum plays a role in plants and how they grow but not as much as most may think.
One major point that not a single company or expert recognizes is Autoflowering plants and how their needs differ from photo period plants. I have proven this for many years now. Early on I blasted my autos with hps, cmh, lec and leds. When calculating hours and wattage the 18-24 hour’s required for autos plays a massive role in a grow. I hope this becomes important to more people in the future.

Back