New Grower Lots of hairs, small buds help

Reaction score
IMG_20220313_195849.jpg
IMG_20220313_195911.jpg
IMG_20220313_200115.jpg
IMG_20220313_200120.jpg

i have been growing all sorts of auto genetics for a while now but always seem to have very low yields, these two girls r big bang auto from greenhouse seeds(the short leafy one) and critical mass auto from Barney's farm( lanky one)Its a pretty cheap DIY setup but done my best to make sure the plants hav everythin they need.
equipment: 1000W led full-spectrum flat light, 2 small 25 watt led strip lights and a basic small fan.
I water every second day with water and big budz PK nites every second watering, and seaweed nitrogen used during veg. Also used micrhizael* fungi and both pots have a good amount of volcanic glass mixed in with the medium (I grow in store bought compost).
big bang is in gallon pot and crit mass in 3 gallon.

I do not use a grow tent which I know is part of the reason for the small buds but have good airation and complete darkness at night (switched from 24/0 during veg to 12/12 during flower). Crit mass was planted 40 days ago, and the big bang 47 days old. They've still got a little while to go but just curious and a little worried I'm going to have shit yields.

any help appreciated:)

You don't need to switch autos to 12/12 for flower. You can run 24/7 seed to harvest if you want or any light schedule you prefer. The plants don't look bad for how old they are, they should start budding up soon. I would say they still have 4-6 weeks left before they are finished by the looks of things. Good luck with the grow!

@Ljautoz :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:They look fine to me. Your pots are on the small side so you may run out of available nutrients before harvest.

Be sure to feed a balanced bloom formula.

Plants really do need a night time and 18/6 is good for autos. Is your light pulling 1000w at the wall? many LED lights are sold as some magical number that has nothing to do with how much light they really make? Without reflective walls your lights loose efficiency. You could get some Orca Grow Film for the wall and maybe a curtain?

:goodluck: and have fun!

You don't need to switch autos to 12/12 for flower. You can run 24/7 seed to harvest if you want or any light schedule you prefer. The plants don't look bad for how old they are, they should start budding up soon. I would say they still have 4-6 weeks left before they are finished by the looks of things. Good luck with the grow!
Thanks bro I will take that into mind, I have to manually turn my lights on and off at the wall because my light don't have a timer and I havnt got around to buying a socket timer, would it make a difference to the plants if I just ignored the 12/12 I have been putting them on and just left them 24/0?
Thanks again.

For me 24/0 until they have stop stretch, then 20/4 or 18/6 for the blooming stage.
:pass:

@Ljautoz :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:They look fine to me. Your pots are on the small side so you may run out of available nutrients before harvest.

Be sure to feed a balanced bloom formula.

Plants really do need a night time and 18/6 is good for autos. Is your light pulling 1000w at the wall? many LED lights are sold as some magical number that has nothing to do with how much light they really make? Without reflective walls your lights loose efficiency. You could get some Orca Grow Film for the wall and maybe a curtain?

:goodluck: and have fun!
Thanks for the help, I was thinking of just keeping it as 24/0 during all of flower only because I have to manually turn the lights on and off at the wall. Although I am thinking of buying a socket timer so I can keep them on 18/6 because like you said I have heard that autos need a dark period, but also heard that allot of people keep them on 24/0 so just wandering what would be the best bet. And I'm not too sure about the output of the lights, they have dimmed since I bought them but not much they are still too bright to look at so I figured they've still got decent output. In future will be purchasing a proper setup just getting a feel for things before I spend a load of money on equipment.
Cheers for all the help means allot

You state that you always have low yields and I wonder if your trying to time your plants finish with what the breeder/seed bank says is their time.....might be a better idea to at least add 1/3 more time to your grow estimation and invest in a good loupe or other magnifying device (usb microscope) and pay more attention to the trichomes to figure out when to harvest....those plants look good an with the internoal spacing should have some nice fat branches at harvest...good luck.

If you are only feeding it is 0-1-3, during bloom, that might do it.

My memory is that big bud is mostly monopotassium phosphate, and potassium sulphate.

Do you have DLI or ppfd numbers?

Last edited:
12/12 is not holding you back it's the energy being supplied or not supplied in that allotted time. Gotta give'm more light and I'd say, closer too.... I've run 12/12 on autos for coupla decades, even with conservative feeding...BUT...I blast the hell out of'em for that 12....
Doesn't matter what you feed them if they don't have the correct energy to make use of it.

Back