MarsHydro Light Shows 2023 Mars Hydro FC-3000 Smart LED - A Grow Journey from Box To Bud

MarsHydro Light Shows 2023

JaxsoNL5

Iā€™m just here for the free refreshments.
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Going to have a thread for the awesome giveaway @Marshydro did that I was the fortunate winner šŸ€ iā€™ll revisit this thread over time to post updates, grow pics, and an unbiased review once sheā€™s properly been run.

The light arrived LESS THAN ONE WEEK after Mars Hydro reached out for my shipping info, I guess they work at the speed of lights!

:d5:

Box is completely discrete so if you live in an apartment or other shared living situation where packages may be left out itā€™s not screaming ā€œHey world, this dude/dudette has an expensive grow light on their doorstep šŸ˜‚ā€

202103D3-9D2E-459E-B8D1-4C475A40C75C.jpeg

Fragile and QC stickers on both sides of the box so you know it was handled with šŸ’š

181F0298-0281-4054-B8DF-50CFE15C437D.jpeg

Got crazy busy and havenā€™t had a chance to unbox and hang yet, pics to come. Iā€™ll be using her right away for my current journal, just past Day 7 with a Mephisto Genetics Mango Smile šŸ˜Š

Last edited:
Unboxing and Setup
Finally got the @Marshydro Mars Hydro FC-3000 Smart LED unboxed and hung. It was nicely packaged with sturdy foam protecting the goods. The driver has a solid foam chunk keeping it in the center. Provided (besides light and driver) was a User Manual, Power Cord, Suspension Kit (two ratchet hangers), Hanging Kit (metal wire with sturdy carabiners), Driver Support Brackets (those green things if you want to mount your driver) and a Dimming Cable (RJ11).

Yes, you read that right. They provide a cable up front for you to purchase another FC-3000 to daisy chain with right away! šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘ Iā€™ve bought two lights with daisy chain capability and neither came with any cable. Manual for the FC series says you can chain up to 60 units šŸ˜± and have them all set to the same dimmer intensity as the ā€œmasterā€ in the chain (they have pretty clear instructions on this in the manual).

D5EBE301-58A2-4AD1-A804-12886C688701.jpeg

Driver comes unmounted from the light rail, but ready to mount real easy with the provided support brackets. The cables are so long from the light to the driver, and then driver to power cable that mine sits comfy atop the tent. The driver is ready to plug-and-play in seconds to the light rail and power cord, the instructions in the manual could be a little more clear by having written text that you need to twist the connector piece between the driver and light railā€¦thereā€™s only a small diagram of this. To be fair, I had figured it out before seeing the diagram but some may overlook it.

75DF8FDE-6EF7-441B-A0DE-F343EFE8D398.jpeg

Because of the size of the metal loops on the frame of the light rail this was super easy to hang, could do it with one but the wife stopped by the tent to lend a hand šŸ’š took less than 2 minutes to clip in and get hung. I ended up not using the Hanging Kit, I used two more ratchet hangers and have one per metal loop.

The frame is sturdy with four individual fixed light rails, I think the FCE series has adjustable rails. But the spacing of the rails is good for even light distribution IMO, and when I get a bigger tent that gap the middle will fit my tiny Bloomspect SL600 to give 80 booming extra watts of light šŸ˜œ

45546AA3-0D9A-4B4B-9F1C-B445C99656D9.jpeg

Had a minor hiccup and thatā€™s where the User Manual could be a little more clear with an Operating Instructions page (it goes from Assembly Instructions to Daisy Chain Operation, no general Operating tips). Thereā€™s a button on the left of the dimmer control unit on the driver assembly. When itā€™s pressed in the light responds to the dimmer, when itā€™s depressed the light runs at max wattage without responding to the dimmer control (you need this for daisy chain dimming). On the actual driver it shows a depiction of a pressed in button and ā€œDIMā€ next to it, and a depressed button with ā€œEXTā€ but I didnā€™t notice this at first.

Well my unit came with the button pressed in and the dimmer set to off. So I got my phone ready for a slow-mo of itā€™s first lighting, plugged the light in, and nada šŸ˜© once I corrected my foolish ways

And we have light ā˜€ļø acclimating this 10 day old Mango Smile sprout with the light 20ā€ above her luscious canopy at minimum dim setting (probably around 30-40 watts).

F19F7375-C54F-4216-8F36-BEA78FB3E551.jpeg

Having issues connecting to the light through the app, it requires connecting to WiFi for OTA updates. The light is getting recognized by Bluetooth and I can select it, but each time I enter my WiFi information it kicks me back to the Bluetooth selection page. This has prevented me from connecting the light to the app and having access to all its functions (timer, spectrum control, Sunrise/Sunset simulation, etc). Not sure why these features canā€™t just be controlled through Bluetooth? I like the WiFi capability also but it shouldnā€™t prevent users from controlling the light short distance if theyā€™re having issues connecting the light to WiFi. If this wasnā€™t a giveaway item and I was a paying customer super giddy to get their new toy up it wouldā€™ve been a gut punch. Other than that, this light is brilliant šŸ’Æ

To be continuedā€¦ āœŒļøšŸ’ššŸŖ“

Last edited:
Still canā€™t get the light connected to the Mars Hydro app. The wife offered to try as she just upgraded to a new iPhone and still no go. Going to email @Marshydro support per the manual to see if itā€™s router compatibility issue.

On a positive note, with the driver outside the tent I was able to use the driver hangers to fix my RapidLED far and deep red pucks overhead finally. They have been dangling on the sides and the reflected light is what the plant gets, now itā€™s direct light exposure! They are on timers to go on before and after lights go on and at lights out.

2B9E1EC3-E689-4114-9FC8-95E4BCB3DFAE.jpeg

Nice review so far. I appreciate you pointing out the little bits here and there that aren't perfect. I don't expect anything to be but that app issue could definitely turn off customers. I know MH has not had the best customer experience when problems have popped up. That said, I am quite happy with all my MH products. Bang for the buck is absolutely their strong point.

I don't think I would use the app anyways, just a reliable old mechano timer. I do like the space in the middle where you could slot in some IR or UV lights, like you did with the pucks. I also like how MH always has long enough cords that you can place the driver outside the tent without issue.

Looks like an LG driver? Should be good quality there. Congrats on the win, it should grow you some nice plants.

Nice review so far. I appreciate you pointing out the little bits here and there that aren't perfect. I don't expect anything to be but that app issue could definitely turn off customers. I know MH has not had the best customer experience when problems have popped up. That said, I am quite happy with all my MH products. Bang for the buck is absolutely their strong point.

I don't think I would use the app anyways, just a reliable old mechano timer. I do like the space in the middle where you could slot in some IR or UV lights, like you did with the pucks. I also like how MH always has long enough cords that you can place the driver outside the tent without issue.

Looks like an LG driver? Should be good quality there. Congrats on the win, it should grow you some nice plants.
Iā€™ll give the good, bad and ugly so growers can make the best choice for their grows šŸ‘

Definitely pretty good bang for buck compared to comparable 300W dimmable lights on the market. And the dimmer is solid to use without the app fo sho, just having Sunrise/Sunset Simulation and other features is a selling point so if they donā€™t work youā€™d have some unhappy paying customers.

That gap is super nice actually and the even light distribution throughout the tent is awesome, plus the diodes dissipate heat really well at least at 25% so far. And yes, an LG driver on thereā€¦everything else I have uses Meanwell. Thanks @DCLXVI, letā€™s see if it can do the same job iā€™ve been using four lights to achieve!

Iā€™ll give the good, bad and ugly so growers can make the best choice for their grows šŸ‘

Definitely pretty good bang for buck compared to comparable 300W dimmable lights on the market. And the dimmer is solid to use without the app fo sho, just having Sunrise/Sunset Simulation and other features is a selling point so if they donā€™t work youā€™d have some unhappy paying customers.

That gap is super nice actually and the even light distribution throughout the tent is awesome, plus the diodes dissipate heat really well at least at 25% so far. And yes, an LG driver on thereā€¦everything else I have uses Meanwell. Thanks @DCLXVI, letā€™s see if it can do the same job iā€™ve been using four lights to achieve!
Is your light connected to WiFi now? It is suggested that you can reset the light, hope the following link can help you:
How To Reset Mars Hydro Smart Products:

Mars Hydro Smart Light Control Tutorial :

How to Add a Device to Mars Hydro APP:

WiFi Setting & Equipment Update:

If you still have questions, please check the information we sent you

Is your light connected to WiFi now? It is suggested that you can reset the light, hope the following link can help you:
How To Reset Mars Hydro Smart Products:

Mars Hydro Smart Light Control Tutorial :

How to Add a Device to Mars Hydro APP:

WiFi Setting & Equipment Update:

If you still have questions, please check the information we sent you

No, itā€™s still not connected but honestly the light is great even without it LOL!

My wife downloaded the app on her brand new iPhone also and it didnā€™t work for us, so itā€™s not an issue based on phone model or iOS.

Really appreciate you reaching out and posting the videos, top notch of you šŸ‘šŸ¤œšŸ¤›
:toke:

Iā€™ll watch the Reset and Wifi Settings vids in more detail and try again once lights go on later and let you know, thanks again šŸ™
:d5:

So you won that light! That's so cool. Nice unboxing, def helpful to know the box ain't all marked up and obvious.
It was indeed a free giveaway prize šŸ”„šŸ™ŒšŸ”„ @Marshydro has been doing awesome giveaways on AFN and @WildBill just won a TS-1000 the other day matter of fact!

There was nothing suggesting it was an expensive light sitting on my doorstep, I was pleasantly surprised. Glad this thread has been useful already @Entombed :thumbsup:

So you won that light! That's so cool. Nice unboxing, def helpful to know the box ain't all marked up and obvious.
Mars does regular giveaways around here. I won a ts1000 about 2 years ago just for replying to a thread. Currently gets used to keep my male plants going and to overwinter my wife's plants and trees. We have 4 mars lights and no issues with the shipping boxes

Back