Photoperiod Moving plants indoors to outdoors/ different light spectrum

Budson 420

is it 420 yet?
Reaction score
Hey guys! It's been a few years since I was on this site so if I've posted in the wrong area forgive me, a lot has changed.

I have a white widow in veg now for the last 7 weeks total, under a 150cfl, the growth has come to a halt recently, I've been topping, LSTing, and bending branches to get the inner branches to grow up the last few days, I'm after an even canopy, PROBLEM there's not enough light for the plant to grow, I can't add lights so here's my QUESTION? We are currently in the flowering stage with our sun down in AUS, correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like being outside the plant will grow how I want to grow (even canopy) giving there's more light out there, can I put the WW outside for the intense mid day sunshine then bring it back under the vegging light? Will the suns red/orange spectrum make the WW flower or confuse it by getting two different light spectrums? Or will it be fine cause it's still on 18/6 cycle? Thanks anyone that's reading

Awesome guys thanks I'll put her outside right now, and thank you again for the super fast responses :worship:

Make sure you keep an eye out for bugs on the plant when doing this. :D

In addition to clix's sound advice, I would also keep an eye out on the plant for the first couple of days for wilting(sun stress). The sun is far stronger than any artificial lights. I introduce all of my indoor to outdoor transitions plants. 2 hours in the sun followed by 15 minutes of hard shade.

In addition to clix's sound advice, I would also keep an eye out on the plant for the first couple of days for wilting(sun stress). The sun is far stronger than any artificial lights. I introduce all of my indoor to outdoor transitions plants. 2 hours in the sun followed by 15 minutes of hard shade.
Thanks for the input mate haven't seen any wilting yet, the 2 hours outside is that just to get the plant used to the outdoor light? How many days do you 2 hours of sunshine for? Or is just 2 hours every day and then put into shade?

Thanks for the input mate haven't seen any wilting yet, the 2 hours outside is that just to get the plant used to the outdoor light? How many days do you 2 hours of sunshine for? Or is just 2 hours every day and then put into shade?

I repeat the process for the first couple of days when introducing them to the sun. I often push them the first time and stick close t watch them. Usually around 2-3 hours susceptible varieties will start to show signs of stress. Strains that show no stress get no shade, but I find this a bit rare. I start this process around 45 days old, to prepare the plants for an outdoor life.

I repeat the process for the first couple of days when introducing them to the sun. I often push them the first time and stick close t watch them. Usually around 2-3 hours susceptible varieties will start to show signs of stress. Strains that show no stress get no shade, but I find this a bit rare. I start this process around 45 days old, to prepare the plants for an outdoor life.
Awesome yesterday wasn't the best the sun has been, maybe why I didn't see any signs of stress, today's meant to be 30degrees so we'll see what happens! They won't be loving out doors like your girls I just feel like they need some extra lighting to get a little more growth before going into flowering.
Thanks again my man! This is the reason I stick with AFN it has the best community around, think I have enough information to lead me in the right direction, thanks guys for the help :thanks:

Awesome yesterday wasn't the best the sun has been, maybe why I didn't see any signs of stress, today's meant to be 30degrees so we'll see what happens! They won't be loving out doors like your girls I just feel like they need some extra lighting to get a little more growth before going into flowering.
Thanks again my man! This is the reason I stick with AFN it has the best community around, think I have enough information to lead me in the right direction, thanks guys for the help :thanks:

Outdoor veterans that cant properly introduce their plants to sun, often put there plants outside before a weather forecast of cloudy/rainy for a few days to lessen the impact of the intensity of the sun. Another thing to be careful is direct sun on the pots especially if black. Make a cardboard box or something to shade the pots so the roots don't cook in 30 degreeC + temps.

Back