Indoor my hempy experience

Hope you`re back on form soon kfigerm, all the best for a speedy recovery mate! :karma: :peace:

So. I'm back then :) Need updates on new techniques, but start with a classic think different grow, to get the grips to it again.

return of my hempy constuction
So I am working on my old hempy dripper solution - as all my pics disappeared, here are new ones

simple bucket with outlet
2022-05-13-234718_007.jpeg

added pump inside (placement of the pump is crucial, look at which position it sucks without sucking in air)
2022-05-13-234718_006.jpeg

now you can stack another bucket with some holes into it to raise the hight of the res even higher (if you plan some days off during the grow) and to prevent roots from going into the pump, or you can just stack a medium container into it.
I chose an airpot - with some cutoff on the lower end to let the cable and tube through. With the bottom plates it is easy to manipulate the size of the growing medium - roots can go down to the res. Because of the flooding while feeding from the drippers, the roots shouldn't and didn't rot. And even if the res runs dry, theres enough moisture for some time, so they don't dry out - the airpots holes guarantee a dark root zone but with possible airflow and a moist microclimate.

connect a tube with some dripholes, and make a simple ring in the center

2022-05-13-234718_003.jpeg
fill some stuff to prevent the perlite from flooding to the res (still needs to be washed, was just for the show )
2022-05-13-234718_002.jpeg

stuff perlite on it and let it run (with a timer)

2022-05-13-234718_001.jpeg

the thing ist in my tent to save space where I can, even in height, so with stacking buckets to the res hight I want/need, thats pretty easy and cheap. And even with no bucket stacked, the res can be about 5l in my buckets - even for heavy drinkers thats two days.

the only bad thing that happened to me, was when a pump failed when the plant fills the tent, so I try to optimize with an external flow pump, perhaps connected to some fan controllers to adjust flow, but that's for rainy days

Thats it for my rebuild of my old DIY setup just as it was back then, only new buckets, pumps, tubes are originals from 2012.
Next grow there will be two girls in such a bucket, when I am ready with the second setup.

Cheers!

So I am working on my old hempy dripper solution - as all my pics disappeared, here are new ones

simple bucket with outlet
View attachment 1458440

added pump inside (placement of the pump is crucial, look at which position it sucks without sucking in air)
View attachment 1458441

now you can stack another bucket with some holes into it to raise the hight of the res even higher (if you plan some days off during the grow) and to prevent roots from going into the pump, or you can just stack a medium container into it.
I chose an airpot - with some cutoff on the lower end to let the cable and tube through. With the bottom plates it is easy to manipulate the size of the growing medium - roots can go down to the res. Because of the flooding while feeding from the drippers, the roots shouldn't and didn't rot. And even if the res runs dry, theres enough moisture for some time, so they don't dry out - the airpots holes guarantee a dark root zone but with possible airflow and a moist microclimate.

connect a tube with some dripholes, and make a simple ring in the center

View attachment 1458442
fill some stuff to prevent the perlite from flooding to the res (still needs to be washed, was just for the show )
View attachment 1458443

stuff perlite on it and let it run (with a timer)

View attachment 1458444

the thing ist in my tent to save space where I can, even in height, so with stacking buckets to the res hight I want/need, thats pretty easy and cheap. And even with no bucket stacked, the res can be about 5l in my buckets - even for heavy drinkers thats two days.

the only bad thing that happened to me, was when a pump failed when the plant fills the tent, so I try to optimize with an external flow pump, perhaps connected to some fan controllers to adjust flow, but that's for rainy days

Thats it for my rebuild of my old DIY setup just as it was back then, only new buckets, pumps, tubes are originals from 2012.
Next grow there will be two girls in such a bucket, when I am ready with the second setup.

Cheers!
Nice...tried checking out the old link to the self watering hempy's and it was bust...thanks for reposting them...
What GPH pump do you use.

600l/h ~150gph
just a brand you can rely on, changing is a mess - the only real pain. I just dare to run the old ones, because i know they can. HMmmm well, hope they don't disappoint me.

so for now the hempy grow gets hiatus. Somehow I cant manage to get the ph settled, the girl did not so well. Either really ph or messed with the too much P in the ph-. I guess it was the latter. The buckets are not optimal too, so there was too much factors, that can ruin a grow, and I first want to settle all that.

And because she is a "polyploid". "They can be fun and each time you top, you'll get three tops." Bob said.
And I really don't want to miss that! So I pulled her and plugged her into a eazyplug pyramid. If they play out as I expect, hempy is done anyway, so why waste time, though it was great fun with that. In the early days there was a technique to cut the upper sprouting leaves at 2/3 of heigt to get 4 branches at one hight, and that worked too, especially with photos, but i never hat a "three-brancher".

Last edited:
I have a pair of the GH waterfarm buckets I haven't tried yet. Just seemed too much trouble since I do pretty good with the autopots.

Back