Need help in solving deficiency/lockout

Berius

New User
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first time growing cannabis and I am growing two Mephisto autoflowers: Sour Stomper and Northern Cheese Haze. They started out really good color wise but around day 12 from sprout I noticed slight yellowing and discoloration between the veins. The form is below filled out. Please let me know if you need any other information or pictures!

Problem:
It's currently Day 25 for both plants. Yellowing between leaf veins, burnt tips and edges in some leaves. On some leaves it is progressing to showing small burnt spots. New growth looks good, but I’m worried the problem will continue to progress. The leaves have been yellowing/turning pale green in between veins since around day 12. I’ve been hesitant to add anything and tried to let it resolve itself, but it doesn’t look like it is. I’m thinking it’s lockout due to pH or an imbalance and I want to try giving a foliar spray with Epsom salts, but I’m scared it might make the problem worse. The size of the plant looks decent as well. I'd really appreciate any inputs or suggestions.

Pictures:

If better pictures are needed I can take more.

Medium/grow method:
Coast of maine stonington blend in 5 gal fabric pots

Feed: and supplements used:
Just water ph’d down to 6-6.5 using general hydroponic ph up/down kit and recharge once in the beginning during seedling stage. I don’t have a ph pen, I use the drops and go by color. First few waterings were likely too high, around 7 but since then I have been ph’ing down to somewhere between 6-6.5. The last watering was closer to 6.0. I am planning on top dressing the soil around day 30 with a mix of gaia green 444 and bloom 284. I'm currently watering about 1 gallon for each plant about every 3-4 days when the pots feel light.

water source:
Tap water filtered through carbon filter. Tap water ph is around 7

PH in the root zone:
I did a slurry test about a week ago and it was around 7 I believe. Again, I’m going by the color so it’s hard to be exact

Strain/age:
Both Mephisto autoflowers
Sour stomper – Day 25
Northern Cheese Haze – Day 25

light used:
Hlg 135w V2 Rspec LED on 20/4 light schedule around 24 inches from top of canopy. Been running full power since the beginning and slowly lowering from around 35 inches.

Climate:
Stable 75-76F during lights on with 60% RH. During lights off ~70F 50% RH

Additional info:
The discoloration of leaves has been happening since around day 12 for both. Growth doesn’t look too stunted so it doesn’t look to be a serious issue (yet?) but I would really appreciate any input from the community. Thank you!!

Thats a lot of water per plant. I am in Stonington blend and I get a tiny bit of runoff in 7 gallon pots with just using a 1/2 gallon of water per plant. You may have washed out the nutes early.

@Berius :welcome: Welcome to AFN:welcome:I am fairly confident that the application of recharge made the soil too hot and burned the seedling. The Stonington Soil would need only ~50 - 100PPM water PHed to 6.4 for the first 4 or more weeks.

Just water for a while it may pull through.

:goodluck:

Thank you both for the replies. I re-checked my grow diary and I'm watering every 5-6 days with 1 gallon but I will watch for overwatering and try to not have runoff. I had about 10-20% runoff the first two times I watered with 1 gallon. Yesterday was the third time watering with around 1 gallon and I got a tiny bit of runoff.

I was planning on top dressing with gaia green 444 and 284 at day 30 but should I hold off given the issues?

20% of the pot volume seems like a lot of water. I water at 10% in organics. Obviously I water more often. When I was learning how to properly water, I top watered the pot AND bottom watered (fabric pots) to get to the “fully watered” pot. Heft pot, that is the full water weight. When pot is half that, re-water.

Last edited:
Appreciate the help. I will definitely start watering less but more frequently.

Picture 4 looks like magnesium deficiency to me

I don't even add nutrients besides fish shit em1 and coastofmaine crab extract once or twice during flower in Stonington blend. They have a dry fertilizer you can use Stonington blend that is what's in the soil you can top dress into used soil etc. Will still add kelp alfalfa topdress foliar sissy won't hurt I don't think it will force it to absorb if it gets better maybe you have a lockout. Maybe just try regular water chlorine free lower TDS of course

Back