Need soil recommendations

Reaction score
Complete newbie here. I just ordered white widow autoflower seeds and need advice on potting soil for growing outdoors in 5 gallon pots. Do I need to buy the expensive stuff or can I go with an organic mix from a garden center.

Attachments

• fox farm.jpg
    fox farm.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 7
  • miracle grow.png
    miracle grow.png
    496.1 KB · Views: 11
I’m on the same boat I’ve postponed my grow due to me being confused on this topic and when I ask on the live chat it seems to get me even more confused most people are using live soil but from the little that I’ve read and heard you do not use certain nutrients in live soils so it set me back to square one what if I want to use nutrients? Is there a certain type of soil I should go for and apparently certain soils come to hot so you have to Cook them which puts more time on postponing the grow... maybe I’m just overthinking plus mixing your own soil is even more confusing due to certain places and the pesticides they use for the feed of the animals such as cows and horses... i will definitely be following this post! Hopefully I get a little more of a clearer picture!

Dont get your head too wrapped up in the advanced stuff on growing weed, my advice would be - experiment, the best knowledge comes from mistakes.
My second advice is go to home depot, look for some soil that is organic, prefferably has some peat or peat moss in it, also vermiculite/biohummus is a big plus, make sure it has no clay, sand is fine! Grab some perlite, mix in about 20% (read up on mixing it in and the proper ratios).
As for soil being too hot, im pretty sure that organic soils should never be too hot, this only applies to soils that have a lot of fertilizers mixed in. If youre still scared of starting it in too hot of a soil, start it in a solo cup with just some simple home depot planting soil and then transplant into the final container which has the desired soil in it.
And non-organic nutrients make the microorganisms useles in the soil and make them die off. So if you dont care about growing organic you can just switch to feeding them any kind of fertilizer after a while.
Your plant will peobably not need any nutrients for the first 3 weeks, remember that if its your first grow then go easy on the nutrients, and dont spend 100s of dollars to get the best of the best, just keep it simple and start feeding at 1/4 or 1/3 of the reccomended dosage and you can adjust it later on ( the plant will tell you if it needs more or less) I use just some regular home depot fertilizers with a value of 15-30-15 NPK and they seem to do just fine.
Also stay off the advanced stuff like HST, lollipopping and flushing, youll be able to get good results only if youre an advanced grower with these techniques. Just go with some LST for your first grow.
If you have any more questins, ill be glad to answer them! Good luck!

Dont get your head too wrapped up in the advanced stuff on growing weed, my advice would be - experiment, the best knowledge comes from mistakes.
My second advice is go to home depot, look for some soil that is organic, prefferably has some peat or peat moss in it, also vermiculite/biohummus is a big plus, make sure it has no clay, sand is fine! Grab some perlite, mix in about 20% (read up on mixing it in and the proper ratios).
As for soil being too hot, im pretty sure that organic soils should never be too hot, this only applies to soils that have a lot of fertilizers mixed in. If youre still scared of starting it in too hot of a soil, start it in a solo cup with just some simple home depot planting soil and then transplant into the final container which has the desired soil in it.
And non-organic nutrients make the microorganisms useles in the soil and make them die off. So if you dont care about growing organic you can just switch to feeding them any kind of fertilizer after a while.
Your plant will peobably not need any nutrients for the first 3 weeks, remember that if its your first grow then go easy on the nutrients, and dont spend 100s of dollars to get the best of the best, just keep it simple and start feeding at 1/4 or 1/3 of the reccomended dosage and you can adjust it later on ( the plant will tell you if it needs more or less) I use just some regular home depot fertilizers with a value of 15-30-15 NPK and they seem to do just fine.
Also stay off the advanced stuff like HST, lollipopping and flushing, youll be able to get good results only if youre an advanced grower with these techniques. Just go with some LST for your first grow.
If you have any more questins, ill be glad to answer them! Good luck!
Thank you! Have you ever experimented with the General Organics Go Box?? If not any good simple cheap nutrients that you recommend? All the numbers get me confused lol everyone says npk ?-?-? But what are the values of the number is it a mixed ratio or?

My current grows are doing quite well with Fox Farms Strawberry Fields potting soil mixed with some Fox Farms Happy Frog soil. Threw a couple of handfuls of perlite in the mix. De-chlorinated and ph'd tap water. Recharge and molasses a couple of times in veg then aerated compost tea in flower. 7 weeks in and both plants are in flower. So far so good.

I went to my local grow shop and started with a pre mixed soil (Michigan Made Mix). Its basically carefree for a few weeks then it could use some supplements. There is a ton to learn along the way depending on your growing experience. There is a lot of knowledge and experience on this forum. Good luck and remember, its it's supposed to be fun.

Megacrop if you can get it. Simple, easy, gets the job done.

Thank you! Have you ever experimented with the General Organics Go Box?? If not any good simple cheap nutrients that you recommend? All the numbers get me confused lol everyone says npk ?-?-? But what are the values of the number is it a mixed ratio or?
Lots more involved than just npk...read MoG's thread on balancing nutrients.

Sunshine #4 or nectar for the gods #4 soil. For all practical purposes they're the same. Been using one or the other now almost 4 yrs. Before that I was a fox farms guy, after a couple bags of unstable soil I made the switch.

Back