Need some general advice regarding my medium/dry amendment’s

Reaction score
Hey peeps

First time poster and beginner grower here. I have a few autoflower grows under my belt of varying successes (ILGM seeds) but I feel like I’m mostly taking shots in the dark with this stuff sometimes lol. I was initially using the Mr Canuck method (Gaia green and coco coir) but it’s ended up burning or stunting most of my plants so I’m looking to modify it/ pivot to something else.

currently I have a bunch of Gaia Green all purpose and bloom as well as some Lamberts LM3 peat moss, pearlite and some worm castings. I was thinking of making soil from those components and layering it in a fabric pot so that the top 1/3rd has no GG amendments (as to not burn the plants). Has anyone had success doing something similar?If so, any advice?

Hey peeps

First time poster and beginner grower here. I have a few autoflower grows under my belt of varying successes (ILGM seeds) but I feel like I’m mostly taking shots in the dark with this stuff sometimes lol. I was initially using the Mr Canuck method (Gaia green and coco coir) but it’s ended up burning or stunting most of my plants so I’m looking to modify it/ pivot to something else.

currently I have a bunch of Gaia Green all purpose and bloom as well as some Lamberts LM3 peat moss, pearlite and some worm castings. I was thinking of making soil from those components and layering it in a fabric pot so that the top 1/3rd has no GG amendments (as to not burn the plants). Has anyone had success doing something similar?If so, any advice?
Welcome!! :toke:You are in the right place and sounds like you are aiming for a water only grow style. A few here use KiS organics amendment, including me, with peat, perlite, EWC.
You might look up KiS and compare the components to what’s supplied by Gaia Green.
For autoflowers, it’s usually best to cut in half the recommended amounts compared to photos, and leaving a pocket of more lightly amended or seed starter.
Until you are comfortable and have a good idea of the needs of a specific cultivar, best to use 5 gallons or 7 per plant to provide enough goods through the entire cycle.
This is also a great place to see who is producing solid genetics and how to get them.:growing:

Welcome!! :toke:You are in the right place and sounds like you are aiming for a water only grow style. A few here use KiS organics amendment, including me, with peat, perlite, EWC.
You might look up KiS and compare the components to what’s supplied by Gaia Green.
For autoflowers, it’s usually best to cut in half the recommended amounts compared to photos, and leaving a pocket of more lightly amended or seed starter.
Until you are comfortable and have a good idea of the needs of a specific cultivar, best to use 5 gallons or 7 per plant to provide enough goods through the entire cycle.
This is also a great place to see who is producing solid genetics and how to get them.:growing:

Thanks a lot
I also have some fungal tea that was given to me, for free, by a friend who sells it and gets some amazing results on his photoperiods. I’m hesitant to use it because of how sensitive autos are, do you have any experience using teas? Are there any considerations that I need to make when using them with autos?

Thanks a lot
I also have some fungal tea that was given to me, for free, by a friend who sells it and gets some amazing results on his photoperiods. I’m hesitant to use it because of how sensitive autos are, do you have any experience using teas? Are there any considerations that I need to make when using them with autos?
I know some of the guys brew teas . I do not, but will use Roots Organic Terp Tea bloom top dressing weekly on large plants to help them finish well. Just know that less is more.
Check out the organics section. There are several guys who grow in TLO, earth buckets etc, who can chime in on when they use teas.
Autos tend to head south in an organic system at transition. Just make sure she is well supplied and smooth sailing .

I’m still new to cannabis, but my approach has been the same as with any other plant which is keeping the topsoil extremely active. I constantly add amendments covered with a very high quality compost. I water very slowly to not disturb the life in the top couple of inches anymore than necessary. Also, an airy top couple of inches is extremely important IMHO. There are lists of organic amendments with approximate nutritional values. Use these numbers to formulate your topsoil. Also, try to diversify the amendments by release times.
YMMV - Good Luck.

EDIT: I make my own soil starting with sphagnum-peat moss.

Last edited:
I've used Gaia Green Amendments. Results were stellar when using a half cup of all purpose, a cup of worm castings, and a 1/4 cup of Diatomaceous Earth every 10 - 14 days worked into the top 3 inches through veg. Also, I sprinkled a bit of NPK microbes, and Mycorrizae around the topsoil every feed. Then in bloom, I added a cup of Gaia Bloom into the Amendment schedule, and switched to every 7-10 thereafter. Couple the feed with 1/8 dose of NPK Full Up in proper PH range every watering and it all worked a treat, but Gaia Green is expensive so I sought more affordable Amendments. But this schedule definitely did the trick with Gaia. :thumbsup:

Edit: Soil used was no till Happy Frog. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Whoa!…Gaia Green is expensive. Nothing special whatsoever in their Veg food.
6AFD7BFA-D245-45E1-BE86-853A5CC2B066.jpeg

Back