Need Your Help and Ideas!!!

Reaction score
So I'm about a week from harvesting the first few plants. My issue is this Midwest humidity. Try as I may 64% is as low as I can get in my house and that's only in the cedar closet. Is that too high to hang them in? I'm going to dry trim this time no paper bags. I'm not getting the smells and terps to carry over through cure like I want doing the wet trim and paper bag method.
I do have a large dehumidifier I can put into one of the spare bedrooms, but its a pain to have to deal with emptying the bucket a couple times a day. I could live with it but the dehumidifier raises the temp in the room to 78-79 degrees and im thinking that's too hot? So I'm kind of screwed either way, one way too much humidity, the other possibly too much heat? I'd love hear any ideas or suggestions.

64 rh for drying is pretty good usually people go for 60f/60rh for a long cure. I personally don't dry trim and I do hang the plant whole..

Yea I prefer hanging them whole:thumbsup:
IMG_20210705_213334.jpg

I'm definitely wanting to hang the whole plant with half my plants the rest are too big and will have to be cut into smaller sections.
I'm pretty sure I can keep it at or under 64% humidity in that closet, but temps will be 70-72. There isn't an a/c vent in there so it's just what the rooms around it are. No way to get it close to 60° with out going into debt with the a/c bill! LOL

Anyone tried drying in a refrigerator? I've had several people suggest it. Interesting idea.

65% will be fime.

I live in SE Texas a mile from a major river and cypress swamp. Humidity is our lifestyle. We drink our air around here everything is wet every morning outside. I fretted over this my first few grows. I used a dehydrator with the heat turned off. It worked but did rob fragrance and taste.

My last two grows I hung whole branches with large fan leaves removed. I hung them in a tent with a 4" inline fan drawing out the bottom. Humidity with everything hung in tent started at 75% and gradually went down. I dried for 6 days, hydrometer had been reading 60-65%. At day 5 'I trimmed a branch and jarred it with a hydrometer overnight and got a reading of 63%. At day 6 I dry trimmed and jarred the rest, its been 5 days and bouncing from 63-64%, I am burping daily. This has resulted in good frangrance, taste, amd smooth smoke. Best I've done by far.

All the folks saying you GOTTA have the perfect humidity and temp or you'll ruin it all had me scared to try normal drying methods.

Said all that to show you that yes you can dry in higher humidity environments without issue. I think the key is the inline fan pulling humidity out of the the
Drying area. I hqve read that you can calculate the time by figuring 1 day for every 10% humidity plus one day.

So 65% would get you 6 days plus the 1, for a 7 day total. This came out almost exactly for me room humidity was ~60% I dried for 6.5 days.

I live in Georgia, humidity is a way of life here.
When I hang my plants I just use a box fan blowing on them. They'll usually dry in 6-7 days even with a relative humidity in the 90's overnight.
Then I trim the bud off, put them in paper bags and blow the fan across them until they get into the 65-75% range (put some in a jar for a couple of hours with a hygrometer in with the bud).
Then I start the curing in mason jars.

65% will be fime.

I live in SE Texas a mile from a major river and cypress swamp. Humidity is our lifestyle. We drink our air around here everything is wet every morning outside. I fretted over this my first few grows. I used a dehydrator with the heat turned off. It worked but did rob fragrance and taste.

My last two grows I hung whole branches with large fan leaves removed. I hung them in a tent with a 4" inline fan drawing out the bottom. Humidity with everything hung in tent started at 75% and gradually went down. I dried for 6 days, hydrometer had been reading 60-65%. At day 5 'I trimmed a branch and jarred it with a hydrometer overnight and got a reading of 63%. At day 6 I dry trimmed and jarred the rest, its been 5 days and bouncing from 63-64%, I am burping daily. This has resulted in good frangrance, taste, amd smooth smoke. Best I've done by far.

All the folks saying you GOTTA have the perfect humidity and temp or you'll ruin it all had me scared to try normal drying methods.

Said all that to show you that yes you can dry in higher humidity environments without issue. I think the key is the inline fan pulling humidity out of the the
Drying area. I hqve read that you can calculate the time by figuring 1 day for every 10% humidity plus one day.

So 65% would get you 6 days plus the 1, for a 7 day total. This came out almost exactly for me room humidity was ~60% I dried for 6.5 days.
Fellow Texan born and raised , went to Tech. All I've ever heard since I got back into this since college is you have to have this % humidity and this temp or your screwed. I did the paper sack method after wet trimming and I don't care for it so I'll hang these and if it takes a while to dry all the better( providing mold doesn't f me up.) I'm in no hurry I've got more jars than I know what to do with in the closet. Lol

Back