New Grower Looking For Opinions!

Taaz

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Hey everyone, delighted to make my first post, you guys have been my whole foundation for getting into growing. Everything I know started here from each of you, so THANKS first and foremost! I'll keep it short because i'd like to know alot, so i'll refrain from making it too lengthy for you!

The setup:
Standard 5x5 lightproof reflective tent
Standard 4 inch carbon filter for smells later
9 5-gallon Fabric Pots Suspended over catchers via circular grills for run off
2 Kingled 1000w LED lights
2 15-gallon totes with aquarium bubbler and air stone for bubbling away Chlorine from tap water. Also for mixing nute's.
2 6-inch fans pointed between lights and leaves for added circulation.
PH and EC meters.
Temp/Humidity meter. Magnetic so can stick in various locations for good tent awareness.
A simple hand pump to extract run off each feeding

C2guzN.jpg

F8YzX8.jpg

id5jur.jpg

LL2XIf.jpg

In the room the tent resides, an A/C unit set to 68 keeps temperatures in the tent at a stable 70-79 during hottest parts of the day. Humidity moves from 45% to 65%, generally when i am just finishing watering.

Substrate:
Coco Coir and Perlite, 50/50 mix, self buffered for two 8 hour periods with cal-mag to satisfy cations.
4 gallons per pot, as I neglected to factor in coco loss from rinsing. Fabric Pot sides are rolled down slightly to allow airflow.

SZERC2.jpg

The Nute's:
Canna Coco A +B
Botanicare Cal-mag Plus + Silica Blast
General Hydroponics PH up/down and Diamond Nectar Humic Acids

The Water:
Tap Water as testing during the week of germination showed PPM of 140 -168 at it's highest, tap water is bubbled for 24 hours to remove chlorine before mixing anything in. Since using Coco Coir calls for higher cal-mag, I assume this is advisable. It is definetely advisable to my wallet !

The Babies:
9 Crop King White Widow Auto's, germinated per supplier recommendations in paper towel and spring water. 100% germination, all planted straight into final pot and sprouted within 6 hours of each other, 2.5 days later.
lM8RlS.jpg

XRvuPg.jpg

Y5QfTh.jpg

As of posting exactly 1 week old from poking through the soil in final pots.

EWvmU2.jpg

History so far:
Lots of staring at little leaves, watering with very light nute's mix (500ec max) every other day until 20% runoff. Spotted a small black fly fleeing my tent as i entered yesterday, so I have gotten Neem oil and mixed a light dose to mist everything with. Plants seem Healthy, but as this is my first grow, I will never be sure.

Questions I have:

When should I increase nute's dosage to recommended 1100ec value? I read everywhere 'when veg begins' but i am unsure of when it does!

How often should I be watering? The appearance of the small black fly prompted google to tell me I may be keeping my coco too moist. This is reinforced by the idea that my baby roots need air to grow, so I wonder if I am watering too much. The leaves are not drooping downwards as you can see, however.

I have read that my lights are not true 1000w lights, closer to 300 in fact, and I worry if they are enough? I have left both veg and bloom switches on as well as a 24/0 schedule to help with any deficiencies i may have for now. This also helps keep that sweet spot of 70-79 degrees im holding perfectly.

Originally I planned to do a ScROG with the trellis net you can see in the pictures, however I'm getting the feeling now that my tent is too small for that many in a scrog, so I am leaning towards just individually training them with simple LST. What would you guys do?

Last edited:
Those lights look pretty darn close to the seedlings.
24/0 schedule
Before I changed to Autocobs, I always ran my led lights full spectrum around the clock for the entire grow. Even my 5 watt diode lights. That was my [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] preference.

I'm in Coco Loco (with rice hulls instead of perlite) which takes a little longer to dry than straight fluffy coco. First couple of weeks I give about a 1/2 quart to a quart every other day. That will be changing as I have gone back to airpots and will be watering with a higher volume to run off.

Hopefully soon enough you will have a forest in that tent followed by an outrageous harvest.

4" extraction for a tent that size is way too small dude when it starts to fill up your gonna struggle.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

You have a damn nice set up. I personally would swap the 4 inch inline and filter to a 6 inch fan/filter. You got a good size tent and I don't think the 4 inch is gonna be sufficient . Also keep your hydrometer at plant level . If it's too high in the tent your not getting a proper reading . It won't hurt anything up there but the more accurate your ROH and temp just gives you an edge as far as I'm concerned. As for the Nutes. If you go on the canna website I'm sure they have a printable feeding schedule and that'll let you follow along with the weeks and adjust your nutes accordingly for ppm. I use Green planet nutes. Got a feeding schedule. I run about 1/2 the recommended for the first few weeks then I change to about 3/4 strenght for the remainder. At the bottom of this schedule if gives you the optimum ppm for what week of veg/flower your in.

Hey I’m using 2000w king plus led. I’ll follow along.

As a seedling you don’t need to water much. After about 7 days or once it’s established better root structure you can increase your watering and add nutes.

Coco can handle a lot so just check the top couple inches and use a spray bottle to keep the soil somewhat moist around the seedling.

Water around her not at her stalk to try and get the roots to search for it.

I needed my lights at around 36 inches from the tops. Any closer and I had signs of light stress.

Hey everyone, delighted to make my first post, you guys have been my whole foundation for getting into growing. Everything I know started here from each of you, so THANKS first and foremost! I'll keep it short because i'd like to know alot, so i'll refrain from making it too lengthy for you!

The setup:
Standard 5x5 lightproof reflective tent
Standard 4 inch carbon filter for smells later
9 5-gallon Fabric Pots Suspended over catchers via circular grills for run off
2 Kingled 1000w LED lights
2 15-gallon totes with aquarium bubbler and air stone for bubbling away Chlorine from tap water. Also for mixing nute's.
2 6-inch fans pointed between lights and leaves for added circulation.
PH and EC meters.
Temp/Humidity meter. Magnetic so can stick in various locations for good tent awareness.
A simple hand pump to extract run off each feeding

C2guzN.jpg

F8YzX8.jpg

id5jur.jpg

LL2XIf.jpg

In the room the tent resides, an A/C unit set to 68 keeps temperatures in the tent at a stable 70-79 during hottest parts of the day. Humidity moves from 45% to 65%, generally when i am just finishing watering.

Substrate:
Coco Coir and Perlite, 50/50 mix, self buffered for two 8 hour periods with cal-mag to satisfy cations.
4 gallons per pot, as I neglected to factor in coco loss from rinsing. Fabric Pot sides are rolled down slightly to allow airflow.

SZERC2.jpg

The Nute's:
Canna Coco A +B
Botanicare Cal-mag Plus + Silica Blast
General Hydroponics PH up/down and Diamond Nectar Humic Acids

The Water:
Tap Water as testing during the week of germination showed PPM of 140 -168 at it's highest, tap water is bubbled for 24 hours to remove chlorine before mixing anything in. Since using Coco Coir calls for higher cal-mag, I assume this is advisable. It is definetely advisable to my wallet !

The Babies:
9 Crop King White Widow Auto's, germinated per supplier recommendations in paper towel and spring water. 100% germination, all planted straight into final pot and sprouted within 6 hours of each other, 2.5 days later.
lM8RlS.jpg

XRvuPg.jpg

Y5QfTh.jpg

As of posting exactly 1 week old from poking through the soil in final pots.

EWvmU2.jpg

History so far:
Lots of staring at little leaves, watering with very light nute's mix (500ec max) every other day until 20% runoff. Spotted a small black fly fleeing my tent as i entered yesterday, so I have gotten Neem oil and mixed a light dose to mist everything with. Plants seem Healthy, but as this is my first grow, I will never be sure.

Questions I have:

When should I increase nute's dosage to recommended 1100ec value? I read everywhere 'when veg begins' but i am unsure of when it does!

How often should I be watering? The appearance of the small black fly prompted google to tell me I may be keeping my coco too moist. This is reinforced by the idea that my baby roots need air to grow, so I wonder if I am watering too much. The leaves are not drooping downwards as you can see, however.

I have read that my lights are not true 1000w lights, closer to 300 in fact, and I worry if they are enough? I have left both veg and bloom switches on as well as a 24/0 schedule to help with any deficiencies i may have for now. This also helps keep that sweet spot of 70-79 degrees im holding perfectly.

Originally I planned to do a ScROG with the trellis net you can see in the pictures, however I'm getting the feeling now that my tent is too small for that many in a scrog, so I am leaning towards just individually training them with simple LST. What would you guys do?

Hey there,
New grower myself so I may not have much input here but I believe that veg cycle begins after you see the set of 3 leaves appear- around day 10 to 14. I could be wrong so you might want to wait until you see the first set of 5 leaves. At least that is from hundreds of hours of YouTube videos and book reading on my part. I am currently on week 6 day 2 of my first auto grow myself, I cant wait for these girls to show me their buds... I'm getting close. But please by all means dont quote me on things as I am just as new to this as you are. I started adding a small amount of nutrients at day 14 and things were going great until about day 25 when I realized I wasn't making note of the PH. I ended up locking out my girls for a few days but I used Foxfarm sledgehammer and boomerang and managed to fix the issue just in time. Anyhow let me know how your grow goes! Best of luck!

Back