No pollen yet - howcum?

One more experiment... one of my plants is making the low-pollen-producing balls that we've been talking about. I have a small soft artist paint brush, and I'm attempting to manually transfer pollen from the open male flowers (on the transitioned lower branch) to female flowers on an upper branch on the same plant for some S1 seeds.

It will be interesting to see if the limited amount of (seemingly sticky) pollen being produced spreads itself in a 'normal' air born fashion, or if seeds end out only where I physically put the pollen. If this turns out to be a common type of male flower, in addition to grinding it up, it would be nice if there are other ways it can be worked with.

One more experiment... one of my plants is making the low-pollen-producing balls that we've been talking about. I have a small soft artist paint brush, and I'm attempting to manually transfer pollen from the open male flowers (on the transitioned lower branch) to female flowers on an upper branch on the same plant for some S1 seeds.

It will be interesting to see if the limited amount of (seemingly sticky) pollen being produced spreads itself in a 'normal' air born fashion, or if seeds end out only where I physically put the pollen. If this turns out to be a common type of male flower, in addition to grinding it up, it would be nice if there are other ways it can be worked with.

Someone was saying put the pollen sacks into a small container with rice. Shake up and the rice will knock out all the pollen. For another idea.

Well if you get the pollen sacks I rub them nice and easy on the wire mesh on your grinder the pollen will fall to the bottom,you don’t have to go crazy and push hard on the pollen sack you only want the pollen that’s how I do it

Well if you get the pollen sacks I rub them nice and easy on the wire mesh on your grinder the pollen will fall to the bottom,you don’t have to go crazy and push hard on the pollen sack you only want the pollen that’s how I do it

I did that and found the struggle was getting the pollen from the grinder into the containers. Doing it over cellophane made it worst because it stuck to it. might try shifting it over a paper envelope next time. Might be easier to use that as a funnel.

I did that and found the struggle was getting the pollen from the grinder into the containers. Doing it over cellophane made it worst because it stuck to it. might try shifting it over a paper envelope next time. Might be easier to use that as a funnel.
yeah, pollen and plastic of any kind seem to be a bad mix. The stuff is so light that anything likely to develop even a hint of static charge will pretty much lock the pollen in place. I use glass jars for my pollen mischief because of this.

I am hanging on to all my ground pollen sacs. Worse case, I'll just dip my application brush into the pile. :biggrin:

Well you could empty the grinder onto a sheet of paper then make a cone shape put it in your container,there’s a 100 ways to skin a cat my friend lol

Well you could empty the grinder onto a sheet of paper then make a cone shape put it in your container,there’s a 100 ways to skin a cat my friend lol
Or just leave it in the grinder, and load your brush from there.

If it is dry enough, and the grinder is aluminum, lots if not most of it will drop out if you tap the grinder sharply with something hard while upside down. But it needs to be seriously dry. To get it that way, put the whole thing in a jar with some silica gel.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

And in other news...
Well peeps, another cola and a half has been trimmed and all balls showing signs of opening put in the drying jar. The really good news is that at least some of the balls were shedding pollen on their way into the jar. :biggrin:

Well peeps, another cola and a half has been trimmed and all balls showing signs of opening put in the drying jar. The really good news is that at least some of the balls were shedding pollen on their way into the jar. :biggrin:
Don’t take much pollen to sex them ladies up

yeah, pollen and plastic of any kind seem to be a bad mix. The stuff is so light that anything likely to develop even a hint of static charge will pretty much lock the pollen in place. I use glass jars for my pollen mischief because of this.

I am hanging on to all my ground pollen sacs. Worse case, I'll just dip my application brush into the pile. :biggrin:

bingo! was too lazy to type that out. Was statically charged. #lessonlearned

Back