Organic and Well Water

Onyx_g13

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Idk if I'm posting this in the right place but since I'm getting ready to start an organic grow using a super soil mix I figured I'd post it here anyway lol... Ok guys my question is: Is it safe to use well water when doing a super soil organic grow? I've been told it's preferred and will not hurt the grow... I need some input from experienced people thats had to use well water with their grows.! I just moved from city water to well water... The water is unfiltered, no rotten smell and actually tast better then city...

I've not used well water but, I have read a couple tips on here that might help you.

For one, you'll need to test the pH and the ppm/ec of the water. See how much stuff is in it. If it's really high ppm count you may need to cut it down with distilled water from the store.

Second, if there is a high ppm content, you will not know what dissolved minerals are in it. Might end up being a bit of trial and error to see how the plants respond, and what they will need. You could also send a sample off for analysis to be certain.

Reactions: KIS
Idk if I'm posting this in the right place but since I'm getting ready to start an organic grow using a super soil mix I figured I'd post it here anyway lol... Ok guys my question is: Is it safe to use well water when doing a super soil organic grow? I've been told it's preferred and will not hurt the grow... I need some input from experienced people thats had to use well water with their grows.! I just moved from city water to well water... The water is unfiltered, no rotten smell and actually tast better then city...
Test the water with your EC meter. It cannot give you a break down of what ions are in the water but can give you a total. Then you can guess the make up for growing purposes.

You should send it out to be tested to make sure it is fit to drink. You need to request for agriculture tests to get all of the ion information.

Are you in the USA?
This is a map of water hardness in the USA. The minerals that make water hard are lime, calcium and magnesium.

If you are in the USA, the nearest extension office has sample container and instruction on how to obtain a specimen available. The basic water test price varies by state. It will show you the levels of all the minerals and substances in your well water.
You can get a TDS meter off Amazon and a pH pen if you want . TDS is total dissolved solids which is basically the same as ppm (ppm usually refers to one substance measured while TDS refers to all the substances in solution).
When I moved to my place I just used a TDS meter and a pH meter. My TDS in NE Georgia was 27 which is very good and a pH of 6.6
Now remember your well water does not have fluoride in it where your previous water probably did. To help prevent tooth decay, you should use toothpaste or mouthwash with fluoride added.

I have used well water with soil only grows made with KIS products for over 3 years now. Tested the PH in my well water 2 times and both were 6.55 so I never did it again. Use Roots terp teas during flower and grow fire every time and with 5+ gal pots the yield is very good.

Attachments

• day67_01.JPG
    day67_01.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 34
Back