Organic Dry Ammendments

We need a thread dedicated to growing autos with organic dry ammendments. It seems to be pretty popular right now. A lot of guys are going this route right now. Or am I mistaken and I'm in the minority?
I will be this winter, but not yet. I will be putting a soil mix together using dry organic ingredients commonly available in Canada, supplemented by generous amounts of castings from my worm bin. I will do a thread when things get started.

I am thinking that a well cooked soil mix with organic dry ingredients could be the perfect solution for an autopot setup - no salt buildup in the pots, and only water in the autovalve system. If it works out as I hope, I will be leaving the salt nutes behind. :biggrin: And I will not miss them a bit.

I will be this winter, but not yet. I will be putting a soil mix together using dry organic ingredients commonly available in Canada, supplemented by generous amounts of castings from my worm bin. I will do a thread when things get started.

I am thinking that a well cooked soil mix with organic dry ingredients could be the perfect solution for an autopot setup - no salt buildup in the pots, and only water in the autovalve system. If it works out as I hope, I will be leaving the salt nutes behind. :biggrin: And I will not miss them a bit.
This is actually a great idea. I'd kinda like to try an auto pot setup like this. I'd shut off the water supply a few days before top dressing and turn it back on a couple of days after top dressing.

This is actually a great idea. I'd kinda like to try an auto pot setup like this. I'd shut off the water supply a few days before top dressing and turn it back on a couple of days after top dressing.
I am not sure how well top dressing will work in autopots given that top watering will not be available to carry the nutes down into the root zone. In my autopot grows, roots are by far the densest near the bottom of the pot, so that is where the nutes would need to be delivered to.

My plan is water only and no top dressings for the whole grow, but we will see how that goes. If more nutes prove to be needed late in the grow, I will likely just use salt nutes to finish things off. At least with that process, salt buildup will likely not have enough time to cause problems.

We shall see... :biggrin:

I also really like the idea behind the fabric pots... and really really like the fabric pots with the partial plastic liners. But I also thought about growing in plastic pots with the water resivior at the bottom.

The issue with the standard pots is that for a water only grow that lasts all the way to the end, you need lots of pot volume, and you can't easily fit that into the standard pots that are supplied. In my grow this winter, I will be using 28 liter fabric pots fed in a DIY tray system. I have used the tray system already, and know that it works well. And it is dead cheap. One only needs the fabric pots, some 6 mil polyethylene, and some sort of frame to hold the sides of the poly three inches or so above the floor surface. The only autopot component you really need to buy is a valve and valve cover. The reservoir can be set up from pretty much any large plastic container, such as a plastic garbage can from the local department store. One of the old style autovalves has no problem feeding three of these pots. I am sure that one of the newer valves with larger tubing would do even better. I can't think of a cheaper setup for automated irrigation of an entire 4x4 grow.

Anyway, mostly theory at this point, but success of @pop22 with similar autopot grows is encouraging. Pop has been helpful in me sorting out a soil recipe for the winter grow. If it works, it will be because of his help, if it doesn't, it will be because I didn't follow his suggestions closely enough. :biggrin:

I will more than likely keep using fabric pots for now until I can get some of the plastic lined pots.

I've been using pre-blended, dry organic nutrients for years, it's part of my KISS method, Keep It Sweet and Simple! I bought a 36 pound bag of Epsoma Garden Tone 2 years ago, I using it in my veggie raised beds too.

I'm getting my stuff ready for my next grow and everything is now ordered
I will be using lightmix soil, & guanokalong bat shit powder and a little blood/fish/Bone granules.
These 2 in the pics are in cheap compost, guanokalong & b/f/b granules.
IMG_20210810_095419.jpg

Dont think its available up north but ive been using the KIS nutrient pack with great success.

pre amend the soil before planting and generally top dress once also use worm castings

Back