SSSC Proph and the Lava Freeze

:smoking: I've been looking at everybody's results so far Proph', and I'd say generally the quality is there, but yields seems to be iffy on some pheno's, aroma too... We should ask Kees what other pheno's aroma's show besides the purple/gassy one they favor... F3 isn't that deep, and despite M33's speed genes, some aren't getting them? Maybe they need to cook this cross another generation,.... grower-to-grower diff's aside, might also be that M33 doesn't like ID life, and some pheno's are going to suffer for it? :shrug: ... No matter what, the finish deadline needs to be extended, not a big deal,... gotta do what we gotta do as testers!
:greenthumb:-- loving the sugar leaf curls on yours!

:smoking: I've been looking at everybody's results so far Proph', and I'd say generally the quality is there, but yields seems to be iffy on some pheno's, aroma too... We should ask Kees what other pheno's aroma's show besides the purple/gassy one they favor... F3 isn't that deep, and despite M33's speed genes, some aren't getting them? Maybe they need to cook this cross another generation,.... grower-to-grower diff's aside, might also be that M33 doesn't like ID life, and some pheno's are going to suffer for it? :shrug: ... No matter what, the finish deadline needs to be extended, not a big deal,... gotta do what we gotta do as testers!
:greenthumb:-- loving the sugar leaf curls on yours!
Testing is like a box of chocolates.. You never know whatcha gonna get, lol. I've been watching as many as I can, and I've seen what looks to be a few different phenos. I think their description said that the purple pheno was the rarest one to pop up. I think I have the only foxtail pheno.. You could be right brotha.. Maybe some of the expressions aren't brought to full potential indoors.. Both of my plants have a similar sweet vanilla/menthol nose. They are both incredibly leafy. I can't count how many times I've stripped fan leaves, lol. I can't speak fully to yields because I think yield is directly related to veg time/plant size.. And these weren't given a fair fight in that regard. But both seems to have the potential to yield well.

The only thing I'm miffed about are the finish times, lol. I don't think anyone is truly close yet. The strain description says 8 weeks. I flipped to 12/12 on Oct 1st and will probably need until the new Dec 14th deadline. If so, that would make 11 weeks of flower, lol. Maybe that's an indoor issue as well? I don't think many will be finishing at the 8 week mark. I think that's something we want to mention to Kees as well. I have zero complaints about the plants themselves! They are both super resilient, and as frosty as Santa's beard. I can't wait to reveg them both and run them again with much longer veg times!

Last edited:
Lavern:
20191123_190719~2.jpg
20191123_190640~2.jpg
20191123_190640.jpg
20191123_190611~2.jpg
20191123_190602~2.jpg
20191123_190536~2.jpg

Shirley
20191123_190526~2.jpg
20191123_190513~2.jpg
20191123_190459~2.jpg
20191123_190452~2.jpg
20191123_190446~2.jpg
20191123_190437~2.jpg
20191123_190411~2.jpg

I think I have the only foxtail pheno..

Hold my beer .... :rofl: .... I'll take some photos next time in in the growroom - The foxtails are crazy on my main cola - struggling to see the bud through it!!

Interesting thought about re-vegging it, it's not something i'd considered ^_^

Not trying to bash, but I still don't see what all the hype was about. Everybody went crazy over these genetics. I truly don't see what's so special about them. The time it takes in flower alone is enough to turn me away, plus looks like you would retire before getting them trimmed. Props to all the patience it took for you all to test.

Not trying to bash, but I still don't see what all the hype was about. Everybody went crazy over these genetics. I truly don't see what's so special about them. The time it takes in flower alone is enough to turn me away, plus looks like you would retire before getting them trimmed. Props to all the patience it took for you all to test.
My only complaint, from the beginning, was the restricted time frame to grow these out. It's really hard to grow a nice photo period plant in 3 months total. There are just way to may variables. We should have had 5-6 months to complete the grow. I think we were all eager to grow these genetics because they are from Super Sativa Seed Club! One of the original seed banks and breeders to put cannabis on the map. For me, it was a once in a life type of opportunity! The mom is M33 (Friesland)! The reversed mom is Lava Cake! M33 is legendary from back in the 80's, and LC was one of the hottest strains this yr. You can't get your hands on either strain.. The plants are actually awesome! I have one that's over 3ft tall, stacked from top to bottom with frosty, amazing smelling bud! And that's flipping to flower at week 5 from seed! I actually don't think it's the finish time that was the issue. I think these plants we grew were mostly slow vegging.. Had I had more veg time, things would have been great! Per the timeline we were given, I had to flip my plants way before they were mature or ready to flower.. They were under 12/12 for at least 2 weeks (maybe 3) before they even showed sex. That made the flower time seem longer that it actually is. Mine will be done in 10 days or so.. Maybe sooner.. If I subtract the 2 weeks that the plant was in in flower but immature, that puts me at 8 1/2 weeks of flower if I chop on Dec.14th. Which is exactly what the site says is the finish time.

My only complaint, from the beginning, was the restricted time frame to grow these out. It's really hard to grow a nice photo period plant in 3 months total. There are just way to may variables. We should have had 5-6 months to complete the grow. I think we were all eager to grow these genetics because they are from Super Sativa Seed Club! One of the original seed banks and breeders to put cannabis on the map. For me, it was a once in a life type of opportunity! The mom is M33 (Friesland)! The reversed mom is Lava Cake! M33 is legendary from back in the 80's, and LC was one of the hottest strains this yr. You can't get your hands on either strain.. The plants are actually awesome! I have one that's over 3ft tall, stacked from top to bottom with frosty, amazing smelling bud! And that's flipping to flower at week 5 from seed! I actually don't think it's the finish time that was the issue. I think these plants we grew were mostly slow vegging.. Had I had more veg time, things would have been great! Per the timeline we were given, I had to flip my plants way before they were mature or ready to flower.. They were under 12/12 for at least 2 weeks (maybe 3) before they even showed sex. That made the flower time seem longer that it actually is. Mine will be done in 10 days or so.. Maybe sooner.. If I subtract the 2 weeks that the plant was in in flower but immature, that puts me at 8 1/2 weeks of flower if I chop on Dec.14th. Which is exactly what the site says is the finish time.
I'm still a noob when it comes to photos so I can't really say much. I guess if it's an old school strain that someone grew up on its a bit different than me, who is happy with anything easy and that gets me stoned. You should drop in on my sexbud journal. I bet that's a photo you'd like. I vegged maybe 2 weeks and flipped she was about 8inches tall trained and now she is about 2.5ft and almost done.

But not trying to bash on anyone's grows or genetics. Just my thoughts about it all. Looks super frosty and strong for sure. Just don't think it's a strain for me.

Testing is like a box of chocolates.. You never know whatcha gonna get, lol. I've been watching as many as I can, and I've seen what looks to be a few different phenos. I think their description said that the purple pheno was the rarest one to pop up. I think I have the only foxtail pheno.. You could be right brotha.. Maybe some of the expressions aren't brought to full potential indoors.. Both of my plants have a similar sweet vanilla/menthol nose. They are both incredibly leafy. I can't count how many times I've stripped fan leaves, lol. I can't speak fully to yields because I think yield is directly related to veg time/plant size.. And these weren't given a fair fight in that regard. But both seems to have the potential to yield well.

The only thing I'm miffed about are the finish times, lol. I don't think anyone is truly close yet. The strain description says 8 weeks. I flipped to 12/12 on Oct 1st and will probably need until the new Dec 14th deadline. If so, that would make 11 weeks of flower, lol. Maybe that's an indoor issue as well? I don't think many will be finishing at the 8 week mark. I think that's something we want to mention to Kees as well. I have zero complaints about the plants themselves! They are both super resilient, and as frosty as Santa's beard. I can't wait to reveg them both and run them again with much longer veg times!

:smoking: Looking good as pheno's can be Proph'! ...It's getting more and more clear, even in this small sample size of testers, there's some iffy pheno's popping up...
For sure a high-fox'ing one, suspect leafy one, a petite bud/loooow yielder one,... the rest are on-point for the most part... Aroma's are scattered it appears; RG took a very floral girl down the other day, first I've heard of that aroma in LF.... :shrug: And the bloom times, I need to check back on that too, but it appears longer than described consistently, and no early/fast ones?
.... Too bad there's no OD grows yet, a big piece of the puzzle missing there,... but as mentioned, with M33 in her blood that should be a plus! ..... In any case, folks are thinking-- yup, needs another round of breeding :smoker1:

Back