Question about when to put seedlings outside

Reaction score
Just finished germinating my seeds and they are ready to go into a soil medium. I do all my growing outside (always photo period clones) so I would like to know how soon I can place the plants outside. Should I keep them inside under light until a certain height? I live in the Pacific Northwest. Temps are high 25 day and low 15 at night.

start them off under a light or indoors at least, wait until they’ve began to develop to at least the second node then start hardening them off by placing them outside a few hours a day.

I would put them in a cold box with a glass lidd on during the night. That way they are better adapted for full sunlight. That's what I would do :toke:

start them off under a light or indoors at least, wait until they’ve began to develop to at least the second node then start hardening them off by placing them outside a few hours a day.

You think I could start them in a 1 gallon pot then transplant to a 5 gallon when they are ready to go outside?

You think I could start them in a 1 gallon pot then transplant to a 5 gallon when they are ready to go outside?
You could, and it might work. But whether you should try it is arguable - I'd say the risks are high if you are doing autos. In my limited experience, transplanting an auto in a one gallon pot will be bloody tricky to accomplish without significant root damage. I would just transfer them into your 5 gallon pots after your germination process if you do that separately from the final pot. My 2 cents of course.

If you really want or need to use small pots initially, I suggest that you make them into "insta-transplant" pots to permit removal of the pot in pieces after the plant is in a fitted hole in the new pot. I have done this with pots as large as ~1 liter yogurt containers, and it can work very well at avoiding root damage.

Good luck with it. :biggrin:

I agree with @Olderfart . Letting it fill out a 1 galling then transplanting it could cause shock that could hurt the autoflower due to its predetermined life span. However, starting in a solo cup then transplanting should be ok. Then saying that, if is summer in your part of the world you could leave them outside through the day and just bring them back inside at night then gradually work down from bribing them indoors

Back