Quick and Simple Cannabis Topical Healing Ointment

Olde School Player

Celebrating 50th anniversary of my 1st grow
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Royal Queen Runtz, North Thunderfuck, Twenty20 El Diablo
Here is a simple, easy-to-make recipe for topical cannabis cream. I took a quick read through this forum section and found several recipes with similar ingredients, but many of those required one form or another of special equipment. This recipe uses only readily available ingredients and hardware that should be available in any kitchen. I have made and used this for many years and found it to be very effective.
The combination of cannibinoids, essential oils and coconut oil as the carrier oil provides a three-hit approach to what ails you. It’s good for easing those annoying aches and muscle pains, and is a very good moisturizer for chapped lips or other dry skin. I’ve also found the wintergreen scented variety to be effective for hemorrhoid relief, relieving both the itching and swelling. Now, if you have chapped lips AND hemorrhoids you’re already having a bad day. So be careful to not get your hands mixed up when applying.:nono:

This recipe uses readily available coconut oil as the carrier oil, which is available at any grocery store. If I were going to consider any one modification to this recipe, it would be the partial or complete substitution of soy lecithin for the coconut oil. Lecithin is widely used in the foodstuffs and pharmaceutical industry. Some of its positive effects include attaching to neurotransmitters, theoretically making them more efficient and increasing the analgesic properties of your topical ointment. Lecithin is also more effective at penetrating the skin barrier than most other oils, so it should be more effective at delivery of the various cannabinoids in topicals. But, lecithin is not as readily available as coconut oil, and I have not yet tried it yet, so I have not included it here.

In writing this, credit goes out to a couple of Gents from a past life. Ironhead for providing much of the how-to, and Hemi4Spd for the essential oil data. Thanks Bro’s, wherever you are! Step-by step instructions are my work, so if they are not clear you can blame me for that. :shrug:

Will this product make you high? If made as outlined here, no. But depending upon how it is made, there is some very limited anecdotal evidence that if applied heavily over a large body area immediately after a hot shower or bath, some mild body flushing may occur. But with limited topical use, I have experienced no sensation.

About your plant material: The analgesic properties of cannabis come from the non-psychoactive ingredients (CBn, CBd, etc.), so you’re best served by using the fan leaves that normally get thrown out. I am told these contain about as much of the non-psychoactive ingredients as finished bud. While you CAN use sugar trim leaf, popcorn buds or even smoke quality buds, this is really a waste. The only reason to use higher quality trim is if you also intend to use the coconut oil solution for edibles. In this case DO NOT USE essential oils. But I think CannaButter would be a better product for that purpose?

About decarboxylation -if you intend to use this for topical healing only, it won't hurt, but is not needed. If topical AND edible use is intended, then do decarb your cannabis material as your first step. The plant material should be thoroughly air dried until crunchy, frozen overnight, then crushed by hand onto a large cookie sheet (you do NOT want powder, hand crush only). Place in a preheated oven set to 250F, for 15 minutes.
Another school of thought is that decarb’ing will occur during the simmering portion of this recipe. But I always seem to have a large paper grocery bag sitting around that has been stuffed with fan leaves or low grade trim. If your plant material has been allowed to thoroughly dry and cure for several months, decarb will have already occurred naturally. Your choice – follow my simple methods or research on your own if you feel the need.

Ingredients:

2 cups dried / frozen / crushed trim (if using fan leaves, remove the stem. Not mandatory but makes crushing & straining much easier. They don't strain well)
2 cups coconut oil (I’ve used LouAna brand from the baking section of the grocery)
2 oz beeswax (2oz by weight or volume are the same for natural beeswax)
Approx ¼ to ½ oz. / 7 - 15mL therapeutic grade essential oil, more or less per notes
One ream of cheesecloth (enough for multiple batches of ointment)
1 wide mouth quart Mason jar with sealing ring; insert seal not needed
Paper towels
Optional, move your carbon scrubber & fan to the kitchen – this will smell when making.

Beeswax - Coconut oil liquefies at around 74 degrees Fahrenheit; adding beeswax helps prevent your topical from liquefying when stored at room temperatures. Beeswax also has strong antibacterial and other health properties, and may discourage the coconut oil from turning rancid after long periods of storage at room temperature. Refrigeration of the finished product solves this as well, but makes application a bit less pleasant.
The proper ratio of coconut oil to beeswax is 5 to 1. I bought a 1# block at my local craft store; it’s also available in pellet form. I like the less refined properties of the wax blocks but use what you can get.

Essential oils are well documented in various forums and their acceptance is fairly established. While some are recommended here, this is solely from my research and limited experience. But let’s be clear - if your intentions are exclusively for topical ointment, then I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the use of any preferred essential oil. Their benefits aside, if you eliminate this from your finished recipe, you will REEK of cannabis when using this product. Enough to be socially embarrassing, or worse if you encounter any fine member of our law enforcement community while operating a motor vehicle.

OK, let’s get on to one of my favorite activities, that of playing mad scientist. :woohoo:

Instructions:

Measure two cups of dried, hand-crushed material and set aside.

Measure 2 oz. of beeswax and set aside. I measured by both fluid volume and weight, and found that 2 oz. of beeswax by volume also happens to weigh in at two ounces. If you purchased a 1# block, cut it into eight equal sections to get close enough to 2 oz. Half the block, half-the-half for ¼, then half the quarter for 1/8 of a pound or 2 oz. It’s easier than it sounds. If using pellets, go by weight.
Safety check – beeswax blocks are HARD. If you try to force a cut with a knife you are probably going to cut or stab yourself. Yes, Chicks dig scars, but pain hurts, is guaranteed to leave a mark, and blood messes up your ointment. It’s easier to cut with a hacksaw blade or coping saw. When the blade fouls (it will), clear under hot running water or flame.

Place your sealed coconut oil container in a pan filled with hot tap water until the entire container is completely liquefied. Measure 16oz / two cups, and pour into a 2.5 to 3 qt pot. Add the two cups of dried crushed plant material and simmer on low for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. I like to use a potato masher to really give it a good squeeze. As the oil simmers and infuses with the plant material, you will lose some volume. That’s accounted for later.

Cut a thick (multi-layer) section of cheesecloth large enough to fit over the mouth of the Mason jar with a significant pocket pushed down inside the jar. How significant? Enough to strain all the plant material that has been simmering, but less than halfway down the inside of the jar. Something less than 18 fluid oz. is going to fill the jar slightly more than halfway. You don’t want the filtered liquid touching the bottom of the cheesecloth pocket inside the jar or it will stop filtering at that point.
Secure the cheesecloth pocket by screwing the lid ring (minus the seal insert) over the cheesecloth and onto the jar. Safety check - when using glass containers to receive the hot oil, it’s a good safety measure to condition the glass by first soaking the bottom of the container in hot water. Cold glass and hot oil does not make a good combination.

After the oil and plant material have simmered for 30 minutes, pour the concoction through the pocket of cheesecloth. CAREFUL – it will be HOT. Allow to drain, remove the lid ring, and carefully squeeze as much oil through the cheesecloth as is practical without forcing any extra plant material through the mesh. CAREFUL – it will still be hot. Don’t worry if a few specks of material get through.

As soon as the infused oil has been filtered, measure 10 fl. Oz. of the beautiful green mixture and save the remainder for future use. Wipe out the original pot with a paper towel to remove any residual plant material, then pour the 10 oz mixture back into the pot and place on low heat. Add the 2 oz. of beeswax to the infused oil mixture and stir occasionally while the beeswax melts (about 5 minutes).

The last step is to add your essential oil. Prepare your measure in advance per the instructions below. Remove the pan of infused oil mixture from heat, add the essential oil and stir well. Pour the finished product into your storage container and allow to cool thoroughly at room temperature before closing the lid. Safety check - condition your glass storage container by soaking in hot water until ready to add the hot liquid.

AS SOON AS you have poured the finished mixture into your storage container, quickly wipe the pot with paper towels. This greatly simplifies clean-up versus waiting until later when the mixture has solidified. Follow with a standard scrub and wash and don’t tell your wife you used her good cookware. Or tell the truth and say it won’t hurt it. IF you wash it.

About essential oils:
A former acquaintance’s wife is an aromatherapist, and she made the usage recommendations listed below. She strongly recommends the use of only therapeutic grade oils. I’ve been very pleased with products from https://www.100pureessentialoils.com/ and https://www.puritan.com/essential-oils-679?sort=1&page=8 I’m sure there are many other fine brands available as well. Tangerine and orange are my personal favorites, as the aroma is pleasing and does a very good job of masking the cannabis odor.

As to strength of the essential oils, they should be blended with your infused coconut oil at a 1 - 5% ratio by volume. I have had good results with 2%. It’s simple to re-melt and add more if lacking but you can’t take it out if you’ve added too much. Do not exceed 3% if the salve is to be used on the face or genital area.

The following formulas are for this recipe of 10 oz. measured infused oil and 2 oz. of beeswax, totaling 12 fl. oz.

1% 0.12 oz. or 3.5mL
2% 0.24 oz. or 7mL (a ½ oz / 15 mL bottle will “treat” two batches)
3% 0.36 oz. or 10mL
4% 0.48 oz. or 15mL

e-Cigarette shops, and most hydro shops, sell small graduated syringes that make measurements simple. Or you can “eyeball” it and use one half of a ½ oz bottle and save the second half for another batch.

Here are some aromatherapy recommendations for various oils:

Arthritis - copaiva, rosemary, wintergreen
Burns & general healing – lavender (almost universal and good for everything)
Headache – peppermint
Muscles & joints - rosemary, cinnamon, lavender, wintergreen
Respiratory – clove
Sports injuries / General analgesic – rosemary, cinnamon; & wintergreen, which has specific aspirin-like properties and is great for any general sports injuries.

Finally, I am not sure exactly what causes this, but on a couple of occasions my solidified ointment has retained a rather grainy texture that makes application feel strange until your skin temperature liquefies the mixture. If this happens to you, all you need to do is re-melt the mixture in a container of hot water. It does not need to be boiling, just hot from the tap. Once liquefied, stir well and cool to restore the smooth, pleasing texture. This is a good time to add a bit more essential oil if your original ointment smelled too strongly of cannabis.

OK, hope this helps. Go make some & enjoy.

Here is a simple, easy-to-make recipe for topical cannabis cream. I took a quick read through this forum section and found several recipes with similar ingredients, but many of those required one form or another of special equipment. This recipe uses only readily available ingredients and hardware that should be available in any kitchen. I have made and used this for many years and found it to be very effective.
The combination of cannibinoids, essential oils and coconut oil as the carrier oil provides a three-hit approach to what ails you. It’s good for easing those annoying aches and muscle pains, and is a very good moisturizer for chapped lips or other dry skin. I’ve also found the wintergreen scented variety to be effective for hemorrhoid relief, relieving both the itching and swelling. Now, if you have chapped lips AND hemorrhoids you’re already having a bad day. So be careful to not get your hands mixed up when applying.:nono:

This recipe uses readily available coconut oil as the carrier oil, which is available at any grocery store. If I were going to consider any one modification to this recipe, it would be the partial or complete substitution of soy lecithin for the coconut oil. Lecithin is widely used in the foodstuffs and pharmaceutical industry. Some of its positive effects include attaching to neurotransmitters, theoretically making them more efficient and increasing the analgesic properties of your topical ointment. Lecithin is also more effective at penetrating the skin barrier than most other oils, so it should be more effective at delivery of the various cannabinoids in topicals. But, lecithin is not as readily available as coconut oil, and I have not yet tried it yet, so I have not included it here.

In writing this, credit goes out to a couple of Gents from a past life. Ironhead for providing much of the how-to, and Hemi4Spd for the essential oil data. Thanks Bro’s, wherever you are! Step-by step instructions are my work, so if they are not clear you can blame me for that. :shrug:

Will this product make you high? If made as outlined here, no. But depending upon how it is made, there is some very limited anecdotal evidence that if applied heavily over a large body area immediately after a hot shower or bath, some mild body flushing may occur. But with limited topical use, I have experienced no sensation.

About your plant material: The analgesic properties of cannabis come from the non-psychoactive ingredients (CBn, CBd, etc.), so you’re best served by using the fan leaves that normally get thrown out. I am told these contain about as much of the non-psychoactive ingredients as finished bud. While you CAN use sugar trim leaf, popcorn buds or even smoke quality buds, this is really a waste. The only reason to use higher quality trim is if you also intend to use the coconut oil solution for edibles. In this case DO NOT USE essential oils. But I think CannaButter would be a better product for that purpose?

About decarboxylation -if you intend to use this for topical healing only, it won't hurt, but is not needed. If topical AND edible use is intended, then do decarb your cannabis material as your first step. The plant material should be thoroughly air dried until crunchy, frozen overnight, then crushed by hand onto a large cookie sheet (you do NOT want powder, hand crush only). Place in a preheated oven set to 250F, for 15 minutes.
Another school of thought is that decarb’ing will occur during the simmering portion of this recipe. But I always seem to have a large paper grocery bag sitting around that has been stuffed with fan leaves or low grade trim. If your plant material has been allowed to thoroughly dry and cure for several months, decarb will have already occurred naturally. Your choice – follow my simple methods or research on your own if you feel the need.

Ingredients:

2 cups dried / frozen / crushed trim (if using fan leaves, remove the stem. Not mandatory but makes crushing & straining much easier. They don't strain well)
2 cups coconut oil (I’ve used LouAna brand from the baking section of the grocery)
2 oz beeswax (2oz by weight or volume are the same for natural beeswax)
Approx ¼ to ½ oz. / 7 - 15mL therapeutic grade essential oil, more or less per notes
One ream of cheesecloth (enough for multiple batches of ointment)
1 wide mouth quart Mason jar with sealing ring; insert seal not needed
Paper towels
Optional, move your carbon scrubber & fan to the kitchen – this will smell when making.

Beeswax - Coconut oil liquefies at around 74 degrees Fahrenheit; adding beeswax helps prevent your topical from liquefying when stored at room temperatures. Beeswax also has strong antibacterial and other health properties, and may discourage the coconut oil from turning rancid after long periods of storage at room temperature. Refrigeration of the finished product solves this as well, but makes application a bit less pleasant.
The proper ratio of coconut oil to beeswax is 5 to 1. I bought a 1# block at my local craft store; it’s also available in pellet form. I like the less refined properties of the wax blocks but use what you can get.

Essential oils are well documented in various forums and their acceptance is fairly established. While some are recommended here, this is solely from my research and limited experience. But let’s be clear - if your intentions are exclusively for topical ointment, then I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the use of any preferred essential oil. Their benefits aside, if you eliminate this from your finished recipe, you will REEK of cannabis when using this product. Enough to be socially embarrassing, or worse if you encounter any fine member of our law enforcement community while operating a motor vehicle.

OK, let’s get on to one of my favorite activities, that of playing mad scientist. :woohoo:

Instructions:

Measure two cups of dried, hand-crushed material and set aside.

Measure 2 oz. of beeswax and set aside. I measured by both fluid volume and weight, and found that 2 oz. of beeswax by volume also happens to weigh in at two ounces. If you purchased a 1# block, cut it into eight equal sections to get close enough to 2 oz. Half the block, half-the-half for ¼, then half the quarter for 1/8 of a pound or 2 oz. It’s easier than it sounds. If using pellets, go by weight.
Safety check – beeswax blocks are HARD. If you try to force a cut with a knife you are probably going to cut or stab yourself. Yes, Chicks dig scars, but pain hurts, is guaranteed to leave a mark, and blood messes up your ointment. It’s easier to cut with a hacksaw blade or coping saw. When the blade fouls (it will), clear under hot running water or flame.

Place your sealed coconut oil container in a pan filled with hot tap water until the entire container is completely liquefied. Measure 16oz / two cups, and pour into a 2.5 to 3 qt pot. Add the two cups of dried crushed plant material and simmer on low for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. I like to use a potato masher to really give it a good squeeze. As the oil simmers and infuses with the plant material, you will lose some volume. That’s accounted for later.

Cut a thick (multi-layer) section of cheesecloth large enough to fit over the mouth of the Mason jar with a significant pocket pushed down inside the jar. How significant? Enough to strain all the plant material that has been simmering, but less than halfway down the inside of the jar. Something less than 18 fluid oz. is going to fill the jar slightly more than halfway. You don’t want the filtered liquid touching the bottom of the cheesecloth pocket inside the jar or it will stop filtering at that point.
Secure the cheesecloth pocket by screwing the lid ring (minus the seal insert) over the cheesecloth and onto the jar. Safety check - when using glass containers to receive the hot oil, it’s a good safety measure to condition the glass by first soaking the bottom of the container in hot water. Cold glass and hot oil does not make a good combination.

After the oil and plant material have simmered for 30 minutes, pour the concoction through the pocket of cheesecloth. CAREFUL – it will be HOT. Allow to drain, remove the lid ring, and carefully squeeze as much oil through the cheesecloth as is practical without forcing any extra plant material through the mesh. CAREFUL – it will still be hot. Don’t worry if a few specks of material get through.

As soon as the infused oil has been filtered, measure 10 fl. Oz. of the beautiful green mixture and save the remainder for future use. Wipe out the original pot with a paper towel to remove any residual plant material, then pour the 10 oz mixture back into the pot and place on low heat. Add the 2 oz. of beeswax to the infused oil mixture and stir occasionally while the beeswax melts (about 5 minutes).

The last step is to add your essential oil. Prepare your measure in advance per the instructions below. Remove the pan of infused oil mixture from heat, add the essential oil and stir well. Pour the finished product into your storage container and allow to cool thoroughly at room temperature before closing the lid. Safety check - condition your glass storage container by soaking in hot water until ready to add the hot liquid.

AS SOON AS you have poured the finished mixture into your storage container, quickly wipe the pot with paper towels. This greatly simplifies clean-up versus waiting until later when the mixture has solidified. Follow with a standard scrub and wash and don’t tell your wife you used her good cookware. Or tell the truth and say it won’t hurt it. IF you wash it.

About essential oils:
A former acquaintance’s wife is an aromatherapist, and she made the usage recommendations listed below. She strongly recommends the use of only therapeutic grade oils. I’ve been very pleased with products from https://www.100pureessentialoils.com/ and https://www.puritan.com/essential-oils-679?sort=1&page=8 I’m sure there are many other fine brands available as well. Tangerine and orange are my personal favorites, as the aroma is pleasing and does a very good job of masking the cannabis odor.

As to strength of the essential oils, they should be blended with your infused coconut oil at a 1 - 5% ratio by volume. I have had good results with 2%. It’s simple to re-melt and add more if lacking but you can’t take it out if you’ve added too much. Do not exceed 3% if the salve is to be used on the face or genital area.

The following formulas are for this recipe of 10 oz. measured infused oil and 2 oz. of beeswax, totaling 12 fl. oz.

1% 0.12 oz. or 3.5mL
2% 0.24 oz. or 7mL (a ½ oz / 15 mL bottle will “treat” two batches)
3% 0.36 oz. or 10mL
4% 0.48 oz. or 15mL

e-Cigarette shops, and most hydro shops, sell small graduated syringes that make measurements simple. Or you can “eyeball” it and use one half of a ½ oz bottle and save the second half for another batch.

Headache – peppermint
Respiratory – clove
Sports injuries / General analgesic – rosemary, cinnamon; & wintergreen, which has specific aspirin-like properties and is great for any general sports injuries.

Finally, I am not sure exactly what causes this, but on a couple of occasions my solidified ointment has retained a rather grainy texture that makes application feel strange until your skin temperature liquefies the mixture. If this happens to you, all you need to do is re-melt the mixture in a container of hot water. It does not need to be boiling, just hot from the tap. Once liquefied, stir well and cool to restore the smooth, pleasing texture. This is a good time to add a bit more essential oil if your original ointment smelled too strongly of cannabis.

OK, hope this helps. Go make some & enjoy.
Have you ever had this tested? Just curious how much cannabinoids you are pulling out of two handfuls of shake. I want to make this for my 85 year old mom’s arthritis and would be willing to use everything from shake to full extract cannabis oils just to make her feel better.

@HemiSync I have not, nor had the original author who gave me the recipe. But I would think twice about using full concentrates when making it. First, it's the non-psychoactive ingredients that do the most for pain. Second, I'm not sure Granny would enjoy the ride if hit with the full spectrum of Cannibinoids, including the THC spectrum. The one anecdotal incident I referenced about using after a hot bath was from one of my old acquaintance's Granny. He had de-carb'ed the topical and she didn't quite realize what was going on from the body rush.
BTW, two cups is crushed measure, so it's actually a pretty good amount. But point well taken, I'm not sure when enough is enough.
How would one go about having it tested? I'd possibly be willing - once with the traditional coconut oil recipe, and once with the soy lecithin alternative. I've been interested in giving that a try anyway.

@HemiSync I have not, nor had the original author who gave me the recipe. But I would think twice about using full concentrates when making it. First, it's the non-psychoactive ingredients that do the most for pain. Second, I'm not sure Granny would enjoy the ride if hit with the full spectrum of Cannibinoids, including the THC spectrum. The one anecdotal incident I referenced about using after a hot bath was from one of my old acquaintance's Granny. He had de-carb'ed the topical and she didn't quite realize what was going on from the body rush.
BTW, two cups is crushed measure, so it's actually a pretty good amount. But point well taken, I'm not sure when enough is enough.
How would one go about having it tested? I'd possibly be willing - once with the traditional coconut oil recipe, and once with the soy lecithin alternative. I've been interested in giving that a try anyway.
Not sure about testing. Apparently some legal states you can send your finished product in and have it tested.

Momma is already on a 5mg peanut butter cookie every night before bedtime and she says she doesn’t feel the psychoactive effects and is glad she doesn’t. She has already reduced her Tramadol use from two a day to one. Her state has one of the worse medical programs out there, so I make her cookies every month and send them to her. These are made with decarbed concentrates and when I first introduced her to the she only ate 1/4 of the cookie for a few weeks and worked her way up to one whole cookie a day. The thing that convinced her was when I was visiting for a couple weeks I started her twelve year old Westie, with bad arthritis in his hips, on one small piece of the cookie once a day. Within four days even my mother noticed the difference in his demeanor. He was acting like a puppy again and moving like it too. When I told her what I had done she wanted to know where her cookie was at.

Soon she will start taking one cookie in the morning as well, hoping between that and a decent medicated salve she can stop taking the pain meds completely. Will be making a batch of this over the weekend. Thanks so much for the detailed instructions.

Here is a simple, easy-to-make recipe for topical cannabis cream.

Headache – peppermint
Respiratory – clove

Great! It is similar to the way I make mine but I have trouble getting the beezwax right. I think that may depend on what season it is.

Just to add to your farmacopeia list:

I have been making mine with a handful of lavender, a handful of oregano, and a handful of mint. I found that not only did it lend calming, cooling and antibiotic properties, the combination pretty much masks the cannabis smell.

Not sure about testing. Apparently some legal states you can send your finished product in and have it tested.

Momma is already on a 5mg peanut butter cookie every night before bedtime and she says she doesn’t feel the psychoactive effects and is glad she doesn’t.... She has already reduced her Tramadol use from two a day to one. Her state has one of the worse medical programs out there, so I make her cookies every month and send them to her. These are made with decarbed concentrates and when I first introduced her to the she only ate 1/4 of the cookie for a few weeks and worked her way up to one whole cookie a day. The thing that convinced her was when I was visiting for a couple weeks I started her twelve year old Westie, with bad arthritis in his hips, on one small piece of the cookie once a day. Within four days even my mother noticed the difference in his demeanor. He was acting like a puppy again and moving like it too. When I told her what I had done she wanted to know where her cookie was at.

Soon she will start taking one cookie in the morning as well, hoping between that and a decent medicated salve she can stop taking the pain meds completely. Will be making a batch of this over the weekend. Thanks so much for the detailed instructions.

Great! It is similar to the way I make mine but I have trouble getting the beezwax right. I think that may depend on what season it is.

Just to add to your farmacopeia list:

I have been making mine with a handful of lavender, a handful of oregano, and a handful of mint. I found that not only did it lend calming, cooling and antibiotic properties, the combination pretty much masks the cannabis smell.

So if anyone's familiar with how to test this, please chime in. I am not in a medical state so nothing available here. @Nosias , you're in our most progressive medical / legal state I believe, any info on testing available from your dispensaries?
And maybe just as important, if anyone is familiar with how to extract the non-psychoactive ingredients only, leaving the get-me-high stuff behind? Or separating the two so you have it all but in different tinctures? I saw a documentary on the tube awhile back where an advocate was extracting CBD only for a young girl who was plagued with near constant seizures. Showed him doing it in a very large syringe but wouldn't elaborate how. All he said was watch the color difference in the syringe. So he was using a solvent based method followed by settling to separate the psychoactive from the analgesic ingredients. Anyone?????

So much I don't know.... for example, I use an isopropyl alcohol quick-wash (QWISO I believe it's called by those who want to confuse everyone who doesn't already know). I have this weak and possibly ill-informed opinion that the higher the level of THC in the material used, the more hash I will end up with once the Isopropyl has evaporated. That seems to have held true where the frostiest material makes the most hash - ratio of material weight to extracted hash weight. So I've used a rough gauge of the more grams of hash per ounce of plant material, the better the plant was. Seems to have held true but don't know the science.
And I've noticed the high of the hash is quite different from the original bud. Almost no body high, leaves me to wonder if CBn / CBd is not extracted with ISO?

@VitaMan what kind of problems with the beeswax? And you actually use herbal material in the oil bath rather than essential oils? Interesting!

@VitaMan what kind of problems with the beeswax? And you actually use herbal material in the oil bath rather than essential oils? Interesting!

Hmm- sounds like he was using something like fractional distillation, which uses a long glass column.

The ratio of beesewax- sometimes the end result is too runny, other times it is too hard. I am aiming for a salve like consistency, but honestly sometimes I out it in a pump bottle because sometimes the consistency is more like hand cream, other times it goes into jars because it is harder.

Yes, I use dried herbs, but I have used essential oils in the past. Also, I use small buds and sugar leaf.

@Olde School Player I personally have not even researched that. I ran a Google and here is a lab that can and will do it.
Take a look https://goodlabcolorado.com

I also see some "test" kits offered for home use. Again I have not tried any.

@Son of Hobbes Have you any opportunity to use a CO lab or home test kit?

@Olde School Player I personally have not even researched that. I ran a Google and here is a lab that can and will do it.
Take a look https://goodlabcolorado.com

I also see some "test" kits offered for home use. Again I have not tried any.

@Son of Hobbes Have you any opportunity to use a CO lab or home test kit?
I was checking out the FAQ for that lab and unfortunately due to postal regulations you have to hand deliver your sample to them. I know in one of the medical cannabis groups I belong to someone mentioned a lab that might take samples however they get there. Let me check and see if I can find that one.

Back