Raisins and Gin: Do They Help Arthritis?

Root

Grandma Roody
Reaction score
Website
everessencekd.com
Currently Smoking
My Genius Pipe!
http://arthritis.answers.com/alternative-treatments/raisins-and-gin-do-they-help-arthritis

99819094.jpg

Raisins and Gin: Do They Help Arthritis?

ARTHRITIS

The gin raisins arthritis method has worked wonders for many people with arthritis. If you have arthritis or suffer from any other joint disorder, then you probably already have a vague idea about this theory. Although this method has not been approved by the FDA and no serious studies have ever been done, many people swear by it. It's an experimental idea, and just like every natural remedy floating around, it's not guaranteed to work for everyone. The idea is to start with a box of golden or white raisins and place them into a small jar. Pour some regular gin on top of the raisins until they are fully drenched; then allow the gin to dissolve into the raisins (this will usually take one to three weeks). When you can no longer see any gin in the container, eat around nine raisins a day. The reason for this exact number is unknown, but most sources feel that nine is the appropriate number for maximum effect.

The Good News

Thousands, if not millions, of people around the world have tried this method and claim they received incredible relief from their joint pain. The recipe includes many anti-inflammatory compounds, which is the reason it's so effective for so many people. A number of those who have tried the remedy report a difference in only a couple of weeks, and some people have stated that they have been successfully using the method for years.
No one is sure exactly what it is about gin soaked raisins that eases the pain of arthritis, but they have a few ideas to explain the theory. Some people believe it's in the raisins themselves, because they are known to contain anti-inflammatory chemicals. Others believe it's all about the gin. Most gin is made from juniper berries, which contain many healthy anti-inflammatory ingredients.
If you're one of the lucky ones, you may find that you no longer have to take medicine for your arthritis after you have tried the gin raisins method. Some participants enjoy the fact that it's natural and most likely won't affect any other medications. Eating raisins is healthy anyway, so if the method works for you, then it's a win-win situation.

The Bad News

There is absolutely no guarantee that the gin-soaked raisin method will work. Your body might not respond, so it would be smart not to get your hopes up before trying it out. No natural remedy is 100 percent foolproof, and most of them are not FDA approved. Before you jump into this experimental theory, do some research and talk to your doctor first; this way you will avoid setting yourself up for disappointment.
The other fact that should be taken seriously is the alcohol content mixed inside of the raisins. Although it is a very small level, no amount of alcohol is safe to mix with medication. The remedy might not be worthwhile if you are on several medications, so if you are set on trying it, discuss going off your medications with your doctor and test the gin-soaked raisin process out for a few weeks, pill-free.
Another possible issue is the sulfites, which golden raisins are made with. Some people are allergic to sulfites. If this is your case, then the method definitely isn't for you. It is possible to purchase organic sulfite-free golden raisins, but they are more expensive.

All in all, people with arthritis are generally pleased with the gin-soaked raisin method. It can ease even the worst joint pain for years on end, and medication can sometimes become a thing of the past for satisfied participants. However, it is best to be realistic and not solely rely on this method, because there is the chance that it won't work, or that you may be allergic to sulfur dioxide. If this is the case, you may want to consider a different tactic.

Hey Root, giving this a try, started a batch today. In the off chance it is the juniper berries in the gin that is responsible I tossed in some additional ones since we have them in the spice cupboard. Let you now how it goes. Thanks for posting

Do regular Rasins work? How big is a box or raisins and jar of gin? Just want a better Idea of the ratios.

From my reading you need the golden raisins. I just put one layer in the bottom of a stainless steel pan and poured in enough gin to cover. I probably used about 2 oz of raisins and 4 of of gin

I'm glad you are doing this Oldster!

Looks like they are about done, I will probably stick them in a jar tomorrow

Started to take these a couple of day ago. Can't taste the gin at all even though I did add some extra juniper berries. I'll let you know if we notice any improvment

8 Days in, and how are you doin' oldster?

Eek

Hi Eek, Nothing dramatic at this point but I do think they might be helping both of us. They taste good anyway!

If Nothing else, you can get a little gin buzz?

Hope it will grow on you maybe. Increasing in affect as it goes?

Maybe

Eek

Back