• 4/20 deals rollin' in! Come bargain shop at the Autoflower Announcements & News section We're looking up the hook-up's for you peeps...holler if you find others please, win-win for all!

Grow Mediums Re-using organic soils and heavy metals

Thanks for all the great info. Seems like this topic is not discussed enough, but should be at the forefront of the discussion.

Although my main motivation to re-use my soil was sustainability (re-using peat moss just makes sense to me), wanting to have greater control of inputs and the accumulation of heavy metals has become a focus moving forward. So far, here are my coles notes;

1. Use clean quality ingredients from the start and through the grow cycles. This includes your water.
2. Be mindful - but not afraid - of the inputs that can potentially contain more heavy metals (Kelp & rock phosphates, for example).
3. Use amendments that reduce heavy metal uptake (silica, biochar, fulvic/humic acids, etc.)
4. Although no till and mulching are great...discarding roots, stems and leaf material will take away heavy metals from the soil with each grow cycle.
5. Always keep learning and improve your methods.

Someone should write a book on re-using soil from an environmental and human health perspective...

J

I can't say this for a hundred percent certainty so look into yourself but I've heard if your vaping not combusting alot of pesticides and heavy metals won't reach their boiling point. But it is a really valid concern. Smoking or anything besides oxygen isn't great for your lungs and when you eat it gets filtered thru your liver etc so not as big of deal but when you smoke you are turning it into tiny particles readily absorbable. So it goes right into your bloodstream all over your body and your kidneys have to filter it out of your blood. It is an over all problem with the planet and all our food not just canna but like I said when you smoke something it's turning it to really small absorbed pieces

@CannadaJ based on the above article I think is has more to do with the content of your inputs and I would look at the arsenic content of the water you are using. As long as you are using nutrients and composts with known low levels of arsenic I don't think you would ever run into trouble. You could also do a soil rotation with a Chinese Ladder Brake Fern.

I do strict crop rotation in my vegetable gardens for so many reasons.
I just went looking for Chinese ladder brake ferns online and it appears nobody is selling them.

Been digging into some amendments, especially kelp and alfalfa. Found a local source of kelp (I live in Nova Scotia) that gets tested at very low levels of Arsenic and other heavy metals (below 1 ppm). Seems like the key is sourcing material that gets tested and being involved at that deeper level.

Anyone know if there are Gaia Green test sheets out there?

Back