Red Wigglers and imapct on nutrient availability

CannabisMingus

"Russian warship, go F yourself"
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dabbing Sour Stomper
I was doing some random research (instead of work) and found this:

"Overall, literature findings show that no clear effect of epigeic earthworms can be detected in microbial biomass, nor on the growth rate of microbial populations."

Red wigglers (E. fetida) are epigeic. The meta-study seems to conclude that these worms may not increase bacterial biomass or nutrient availability in the soil below.

Frontiers | Earthworms Building Up Soil Microbiota, a Review | Environmental Science (frontiersin.org)

Planning a future living soil grow using E. fetida and now am reconsidering my worm strategy. :doh:

Edit: Re-read the study and it's unclear as to whether they took any real conclusions on this issue. Seems like the previous studies cited were substrate dependent (and mostly manure). Interested in other's conclusions.

Last edited:
I don't have any good information to add, but will note the old trope, "absence of proof is not proof of absence". I doubt that worms would harm a grow, and expect that they would help at least a little bit, but don't have good data either way. FWIW, with autos, I think a grower is better off just starting with enough of the right soil mix to just add water and maybe a bit of pk boost toward the end.

I've made two soil attempts so far, including the one I am just now wrapping up, and my mix is still not right - either too rich, or not enough lime, or both. I am now thinking that the next grow might be a combination of 2-3 coco and 1 or 2 10 gallon soil pots with adjustments of my current mix. I will decide eventually... :pighug:

Here is an interesting paper discussing nutrient values for vermicompost created by 3 different species:

"E. eugeniae was more efficient in bioconversion of urban green waste into nutrient rich vermicompost compared to E. fetida and P. excavatus; the vermicompost produced by E. eugeniae possessed higher nutrients—N, P, K, Ca and Mg—compared to that of E. fetida and P. excavatus. Vermicomposts produced by all the earthworm species showed higher contents of nutrients compared to that of the sole compost as well as substrates—the green waste (vegetable market and floral waste). Moreover, the vermicompost and compost of vegetable market waste possessed higher nutrient contents probably because it comprised of a mosaic of materials compared to that of floral waste. Thus, vermicomposting was proved to be a better technology than that of sole composting and may be preferred for the management and nutrient recovery from the urban waste such as market waste and floral waste."

Nutrient Status of Vermicompost of Urban Green Waste Processed by Three Earthworm Species—Eisenia fetida, Eudrilus eugeniae, and Perionyx excavatus (hindawi.com)

I was giving E. eugeniae (African nightcrawler) a hard look anyway as it is more heat tolerant than Red Wigglers.

Here is an interesting paper discussing nutrient values for vermicompost created by 3 different species:

"E. eugeniae was more efficient in bioconversion of urban green waste into nutrient rich vermicompost compared to E. fetida and P. excavatus; the vermicompost produced by E. eugeniae possessed higher nutrients—N, P, K, Ca and Mg—compared to that of E. fetida and P. excavatus. Vermicomposts produced by all the earthworm species showed higher contents of nutrients compared to that of the sole compost as well as substrates—the green waste (vegetable market and floral waste). Moreover, the vermicompost and compost of vegetable market waste possessed higher nutrient contents probably because it comprised of a mosaic of materials compared to that of floral waste. Thus, vermicomposting was proved to be a better technology than that of sole composting and may be preferred for the management and nutrient recovery from the urban waste such as market waste and floral waste."

Nutrient Status of Vermicompost of Urban Green Waste Processed by Three Earthworm Species—Eisenia fetida, Eudrilus eugeniae, and Perionyx excavatus (hindawi.com)

I was giving E. eugeniae (African nightcrawler) a hard look anyway as it is more heat tolerant than Red Wigglers.
If I tried to use that as a source for a college paper I would get a f. Can you find maybe a .edu source or something?

Sorry it did not meet your expectations.

No.
I did some research. Looks like it was completed by some professors at a university in india from 2012. I’m sure I can find one that proves worms are beneficial. All I’m saying is anyone can make a .org .com etc and print some stuff. Gotta check the authors and stuff

Another:

"The mutual action of earthworms and microbes brings faster decomposition as earthworm's condition, aerate, fragment, and enhance surface area of the organic matter for microbial action. They maintain the physicochemical properties of the soil by converting biodegradable materials and organic wastes into nutrient-rich products, which emerge from their burrows to deposit the fecal matter (vermicast) on the surface. This vermicast acts as a buffer, it has a significantly lower volatile solid content and high N, P, and K content which is easily available for the plant. The presence of humic acids and plant growth hormones in vermicast can increase plant growth and crop yield in both natural and managed ecosystems. "
Eudrilus eugeniae - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Trying to obtain full paper to id species studied.

CM I have tried in the past to incorporate worms from my flower beds into my compost tumblers and cloth bags while growing
without any success. I know I need to have a no till bed in a big bag but I have circumstances that complicate that happening.
I'm interested in how your experiment moves forward.

Back