Rock Dust

MesaBoogie

We live to survive our paradoxes
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I feel like I'm always the last to know after purchasing some giagreen rockdust. I thought it might be a good idea to try amending coco coir with basalt rock dust for it's calcium and magnesium. I found this video series on youtube from Alberta urban garden. He does a multi year Rock dust comparison and soil sample testing. Some pretty interesting results.

Do Biochar and Rock Dust increase Garden Yields - YouTube
Rock Dust and Biochar impacts on pH and Nutrient availability in garden soil Alberta Urban Garden - YouTube soil samples lab results
Do Rock Dust or Biochar Work Increase the Nutrient Density of Food? 2015 Trial Result - YouTube tissue samples lab results/summary

He also does some myth busting on if chlorine in tap water has any effects on microbial life in soil for those interested.

I don't have or plan on getting, so not going into look into much, but I did look at the dust you mention quickly for someone else and it said it needed ph ~5 or below before it does anything. Pretty sure it's the dust you mentioned

No idea, and yeah, even a reading from brix meter, not sure if that falls under sap test though... don't know shit anymore, used to know a lot though and that counts for something

I'm now after ~best soil ph but more specificly the ph of the water to use for it. Doesn't make sense to me so high in hydro and so low in soil/organic. Sorry to be off topic.

I feel like I'm always the last to know after purchasing some giagreen rockdust. I thought it might be a good idea to try amending coco coir with basalt rock dust for it's calcium and magnesium. I found this video series on youtube from Alberta urban garden. He does a multi year Rock dust comparison and soil sample testing. Some pretty interesting results.

Do Biochar and Rock Dust increase Garden Yields - YouTube
Rock Dust and Biochar impacts on pH and Nutrient availability in garden soil Alberta Urban Garden - YouTube soil samples lab results
Do Rock Dust or Biochar Work Increase the Nutrient Density of Food? 2015 Trial Result - YouTube tissue samples lab results/summary

He also does some myth busting on if chlorine in tap water has any effects on microbial life in soil for those interested.

interesting... cool share. I'm trying to get into organic soils and no-till and this would be great to learn more about. what i've been told by a relative who grows organic basil and swears rock dust has helped them greatly is that its magic is only there when used with good compost or with worms in no-till beds, additional to using "good rock dust" and not just any crushed stones. what he uses as "good dust" is basically basalt, but i don't know if he has used other types. his stance does coincide with what is used in Coots Soil Mix in which only basalt and granite are recommened and not other kinds of rock dust based on something related to the CEC.

hope @pop22 could give us some input here.

Did I read somewhere that earthworms ingest sand and it aids in physical breakdown of organic matter?
Could that be true of rock dust as well as sand?

Did I read somewhere that earthworms ingest sand and it aids in physical breakdown of organic matter?
Could that be true of rock dust as well as sand?
Absolutely.
I use powered up egg shells instead though.

And dried banana skins

Back