Scarification question

Supposedly the fine root hairs can get bound up into the paper towel and when you pull it out to plant they can tear. I just drop them into a shot glass of water put em on the cable box covered with a little box and after a day or two the roots pop out, Then I plant in their final pots.
Yee. But I mean why not put in the final pot, directly in soil. Why going through some process before?

Yee. But I mean why not put in the final pot, directly in soil. Why going through some process before?
I have had a few seeds not pop at all so waiting for a root to appear means less wasted space for me which is limited as it is.

Can anyone give some examples why NOT just put the auto seed in that container that you are going to use the all grow? Whats up with sink the seeds in water or paper towels?
Understand that keeping the moisture might be a issue, but really not a problem. Just spray on the surface each day.
Would love to hear some thoughts about this. Of course googled, but don't get any wiser.
Some people just have better germination success working in paper towel or solo cup. Though in my opinion the more processes you introduce before putting it in its final home introduces more chance for stunting, but all that matters is getting the seed to sprout and the towel method does work. I also think that people feel more comfortable unfolding a damp paper towel to SEE a tap root than waiting for a sprout to pop out of dirt.

@waria

Do you wait for the root to develop, or do you plant before the seed ctacks open?
thx
-- tag misfire Paul, pardon the delay... :baked:

I plant the beans regardless if they have cracked yet or not, though about half do... That's with about 8-10hr soaking.
...I like to lay the seed down with the point more or less downward; if there's enough radical out to curve a direction, that goes downward too...
Depth is 1cm or so, lightly packed above...

-- tag misfire Paul, pardon the delay... :baked:

I plant the beans regardless if they have cracked yet or not, though about half do... That's with about 8-10hr soaking.
...I like to lay the seed down with the point more or less downward; if there's enough radical out to curve a direction, that goes downward too...
Depth is 1cm or so, lightly packed above...
How important is proper vertical orientation of the planted seed?

How important is proper vertical orientation of the planted seed?
Nothing critical implied there, I just don't want the radical to have to do a gymnastics routine to get reoriented downward... I think it helps to get the seed case shed off a bit better too if the sprout can come up with a clean shot vs. twisting around...
hmmm.gif

Back