Scarification question

paulg

Welcome to the CannaZone
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
All things Twisted Tree
I’m scarifying a seed. I give it a quick scruff with sandpaper then into the water it goes. At first it floats. After awhile it sinks to the bottom of the container. Does this mean water has displaced any air in the seed and it’s ready for the next stage of germination (paper towel method for me)? THX

Hopefully someone will chime in with a similar experience of what you're dealing with.

I wish I could just anonymously send you a bunch of the auto-fem seeds I've accidently grown...I've never had issues germinating anyone's normal looking seeds.

Do you store them dark/airtight in the fridge and then put them in water somewhere 70F+, in the dark overnight...I get tails almost every time in <24-48hrs, and into the final bucket of soil they go 🤞

:smokeit: Paul, the sinking is the seed tissues taking in the water and changing it's buoyancy (density really)... Smart thing to do especially with older seed;, larger hard cased beans too - :thumbsup:
These days I do the same thing regardless, plus I make a little soaking cocktail... This was gleaned from various sources and combined to make the solution...

I start with about 2oz of drinking water (not RO/Di, or tap)... this is about having nice clean fairly low ppm water. RO/Di creates some osmotic pressure in the wrong direction because of it lack of ionic content ( potentially a leaching effect from tissues)...
Tap, depends of course on hardness mainly... hard water is kinda nasty, and tap can carry bad microbe actors...
-- 2oz because it's easier to manage dilutions to make this weak solution
-- add 1 drop if Si supplement + a couple drops kelp extract + fulvic acid (how depends on your source; dry/power or liquid)... humic-fulvic is fine too...
-- if warranted in tough cased seeds or really old, a tiny amount of wetting agent (partial drop) can help overcome hydrophobic tendencies of the case...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention a couple things -
snap-out-of-it.gif
:rofl:

I use a very thin folded strip of 220-320 grit sandpaper to scuff with. It's tricky, holding the seed between your fingers! I do this over a towel or something that will keep the seed in place where it lands if it squirts out.
I find that scuffing the seams of the case, and the tip where it first cracks is most effective. Just be careful not to grind too deep...
You'll scuff yourself a bit in the process of course, so blow or wipe the bean off... Some folks do a brief dilute H2O2 dunk to sanitize the seeds which if fine also...
Generally, small seeds I won't bother with unless they're old. I've had some of the tiniest beans bust open the fastest, and catch up in size quickly to beefier ones!

My MO for germ'ing is to soak overnight (less than 24h), then sow directly into the pot or starter cup. Nice mild soil, I distrust pucks/plugs/cubes but everybody has their fav's, right? :smokeit:
From there, it temp's that are most important. Sweet spot is upper 70's, low 80's; mid 70's is fine, just a tad slower... high T's are more of a danger.
Pick a spot that you've had a chance to measure out the temp range and stability of before you place them there.

I’m scarifying a seed. I give it a quick scruff with sandpaper then into the water it goes. At first it floats. After awhile it sinks to the bottom of the container. Does this mean water has displaced any air in the seed and it’s ready for the next stage of germination (paper towel method for me)? THX
In my experience old beans are the ones that need a little scuffing up for the water to penetrate. I would also put a drop or 2 of kelp in the water to aid the process. Otherwise for autos that are relatively fresh (within a couple years) you should be able to germ right in the final pot, as long as temps are in the mid 70s to low 80s and the humidity is above 60% you should be golden. About 1/4 inch deep, lightly covered and lightly watered. I mist daily to keep the soil right around the bean nice and moist.

Last edited:
Can anyone give some examples why NOT just put the auto seed in that container that you are going to use the all grow? Whats up with sink the seeds in water or paper towels?
Understand that keeping the moisture might be a issue, but really not a problem. Just spray on the surface each day.
Would love to hear some thoughts about this. Of course googled, but don't get any wiser.

Can anyone give some examples why NOT just put the auto seed in that container that you are going to use the all grow? Whats up with sink the seeds in water or paper towels?
Understand that keeping the moisture might be a issue, but really not a problem. Just spray on the surface each day.
Would love to hear some thoughts about this. Of course googled, but don't get any wiser.
Supposedly the fine root hairs can get bound up into the paper towel and when you pull it out to plant they can tear. I just drop them into a shot glass of water put em on the cable box covered with a little box and after a day or two the roots pop out, Then I plant in their final pots.

Back