SCH x Lowryder

In the late seventies, we came across an indica strain that autoflowered at 3 months. It would then flower for about two. At the time, we didn't even know there was a such thing as indica strains so we thought this was just a characteristic of the indica strain. To that point, all our seed stock had been sativa strains originating in Thailand (that we personally brought from there), Columbia, and Mexico. That was what was generally available when a person was willing to pay more for quality.

Because our first freeze would generally come in Nov, the sativa strains would have to be taken a couple weeks, at least, before they were fully ready... still good by standards of that day but not as good as it could have been.

So, when we ran into this afghani/indica strain, we saw trich development we had never seen before. Plus, we were getting two crops a year. Plant one in March (harvest end of July) and one in June (harvest in Early Nov). We went exclusively to this strain after that until we had about three years in a row of mishaps and heat from the "man". The three lean years ate up our seed stock and our old grow places were not available anymore so we never got back in gear.

So, I guess I said all that to ask this: Is it uncommon for an indica strain to autoflower, at least to some degree, without the help of a ruderalis strain? As some of you know, I'm new to indoor grows as well as these quality hybrids that are commonly available now. The answer may be common knowledge to most here but I'm very new to the hybridization that has taken place over the last 10 years or so.

Back