Science Speaks: Nutrients, organics, LED lighting, and curing Hear it right from a scientist!

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I'm not a podcast person. In fact, this is probably the first one I've listened to to the end. Dr. Allison Justice, a Cannabis researcher speaks on various subjects, including my favorite, the myth of flushing! Take the time to listen to this! It may make say, hmmmmm I wonder.............

The good stuff starts aroung the 12 minute mark.

https://www.kisorganics.com/pages/cannabis-cultivation-and-science-podcast-episode-43

great interview, explains things very well, bound to be a few out there that will disagree .. :smoking:

i very much enjoy listening to this posdcast. but I hadn't heard this one yet! thanks for the suggestion!

Tim wilson on compost teas was one of my faves to date.

i very much enjoy listening to this posdcast. but I hadn't heard this one yet! thanks for the suggestion!

Tim wilson on compost teas was one of my faves to date.
Enjoyable listen, thanks for the link. The lady knows her plants. :biggrin:

@pop22 thanks for the post. Verifies our belief in starting at 50% nutrients from the vendor charts and suggests maybe even less? I have always agreed that flushing does not remove nutrients from the plant. I don't think they closed the book on flushing though, as they cited there may be other beneficial processes happening. In the end they simply stated they don't know. I wish she gave us the recipe for nutrients she used. I am sure that belongs to OutCo.

:vibe:

Very good and supports wat I've seen with bottled nutes 400ppm to 500ppm is all that's needed and anything above didn't preform as well so that's interesting that this has been quantified. That's why I started mixing organic and non organic nutes and have since switched to full organic only bc of ease I did do a bit better yield wise but I don't want even people I live with to no I'm growing bc loose lips sink ships lol so pulling them out every day or anything that makes me have to pamper them. That lady made a lot of sense and I often wondered these things kinda like dry amendments and coco everyone said it don't work well not only did it work well I got 2nd place with it in dinafem grower of the year so I'm very glad there are people like her pushing are industry the right way and I wish I had more time to read and learn this stuff better and shout out to @pop22. And @KIS thanks for the info and your continued dedication to help others really learn wish all things were like this kinda like back in the day asking the guy next door to borrow a tool no problem now a days people love to denie people the wisdom they've learned but I think more people should be giving that wisdom and knowledge out especially to the new generations bc they are so out of touch with wat life is about. Anyways keep stuff like this coming it is invaluable and should be stickied for new growers.

Very good and supports wat I've seen with bottled nutes 400ppm to 500ppm is all that's needed and anything above didn't preform as well so that's interesting that this has been quantified. That's why I started mixing organic and non organic nutes and have since switched to full organic only bc of ease I did do a bit better yield wise but I don't want even people I live with to no I'm growing bc loose lips sink ships lol so pulling them out every day or anything that makes me have to pamper them. That lady made a lot of sense and I often wondered these things kinda like dry amendments and coco everyone said it don't work well not only did it work well I got 2nd place with it in dinafem grower of the year so I'm very glad there are people like her pushing are industry the right way and I wish I had more time to read and learn this stuff better and shout out to @pop22. And @KIS thanks for the info and your continued dedication to help others really learn wish all things were like this kinda like back in the day asking the guy next door to borrow a tool no problem now a days people love to denie people the wisdom they've learned but I think more people should be giving that wisdom and knowledge out especially to the new generations bc they are so out of touch with wat life is about. Anyways keep stuff like this coming it is invaluable and should be stickied for new growers.

As I approach 500 ppm (EC=1) in hydro, nute burn becomes more likely.
450 is my sweet spot.

I paraphrase 'Under 200umols leaves lower in the canopy became sinks not efficiently photosynthesizing but still transpiring.'

So large plants will benefit from intra canopy lighting at a minimum of 200+umols. It would have been interesting if she disclosed gains it losses from lollipopping but I didn't hear anything as far as loss was concerned. One time at week 3 of flower.

Poinsettia nutrients are around a 15-5-25 and tomatoes are around 5-11-26. Thought it would be great to get leaf samples analysed and then just mix your own fertilizer. I wonder what companies are offering their services for this.

Is burping necessary?

Thanks @pop22 really interesting to hear her perspective. It seems like there a lot of philosophies held to show you can skin this cat many different ways.

Last edited:
Back