Seedmaking impacts on bud

I like making seeds. I use CS to reverse a whole plant, collect pollen, and apply pollen to a single branch of my seed/bud plant. I only pollenate a low single branch, and a smallish one at that. So, when I do seeds, I get both bud and seeds from one plant.

So, I have a question for you seedsters out there, will pollenation of one branch affect the bud quality elsewhere on the plant? I ask because it may make sense for a plant to direct resources to seedmaking rather than filling in buds elsewhere. However, I have not seen a test of this issue to determine whether this hypothetical issue is real. I have not done enough growing myself to know, so am keen to hear if others have information.

Happy growing peeps. :pighug:

I also like to pollinate a few lower branches here and there, and thus far it's seemed to have minimal impact on the rest of the plant. If there's any at all, it's still probably a worthwhile trade-off, and it's likely less difference than random variation from seed to seed.

Producing seeds takes somewhat different nutrients than producing unseeded flower (on a podcast I heard CSI Humboldt recommend a more veg NPK than flower NPK for seedmaking), but unless the plant is already struggling with deficiencies a small seeded branch probably won't make much difference.

Edit, since this thread is active again: To be clear, I'm talking about the impact from partially pollinating the plants, not partially reversing them with colloidal silver or STS.

Last edited:
Theoretically, there could well be no difference in the cannabinoid and terpene content of seed-producing vs. seedless buds on the same plant. The plants we grow without pollination, denied sex, make the same resin even without seeds for the resin to protect.

I like making seeds. I use CS to reverse a whole plant, collect pollen, and apply pollen to a single branch of my seed/bud plant. I only pollenate a low single branch, and a smallish one at that. So, when I do seeds, I get both bud and seeds from one plant.

So, I have a question for you seedsters out there, will pollenation of one branch affect the bud quality elsewhere on the plant? I ask because it may make sense for a plant to direct resources to seedmaking rather than filling in buds elsewhere. However, I have not seen a test of this issue to determine whether this hypothetical issue is real. I have not done enough growing myself to know, so am keen to hear if others have information.

Happy growing peeps. :pighug:
Hey Pop,

I've done the same, but with STS...Same story different receipt :thumbsup:
If you look at the process pure technically...Then yes, energy otherwise going to the production of flowers and therefor more space for trichomes to grow, will go to producing seeds. But this is only a local process. Other branches on the plant which haven't been pollinated will still want to attract as much pollen as possible and produce more flowers to up the chance in pollination. It's a numbers game...
Now what you don't want to do is use one female to turn and pollinate itself. This seems a smart thing to do, but the opposite is true. When you use only one parent for creating seeds you will have offspring with a higher chance for unwanted expressions. And every time you do this the chance for it to happen rises exponentially. So always use two separate plants for breeding.

Regards,

Bob :toke:

... But this is only a local process. Other branches on the plant which haven't been pollinated will still want to attract as much pollen as possible and produce more flowers to up the chance in pollination. It's a numbers game...

Regards,

Bob :toke:
As the saying goes, there's the rub. How do we know how local the diversion of resources into seed making is? As to evolutionary influences, the numbers game may work out to mean that diverting resources to any pollenated flowers anywhere on the plant would make more sense than keeping "redistribution" local. The situation where only one branch gets pollenated, and heavily, surely must be so rare in nature as to make the results hard to predict. Some kind of careful testing would be needed to confirm the issue for sure.

OTOH, I am very interested if anyone has at least thought about this and tried seat of the pants comparisions to figure things out. I am not skilled enough with judging bud quality for my opinion to mean much, but generally speaking, I don't notice much if any difference in bud quality between seed mothers and unpollenated plants. :pighug:

I’ve noticed zero difference in bud development when a few lowers are selected to pollinate, and no difference in resin production regardless of how much of the plant is seeded. Whether THC percentages are affected… no idea, as I’ve never spent on lab testing.

Back