Lighting Slater gets his COB on

Slater

Flowery Twats
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I hate being left out when the world moves forward so I though I better get onto the DIY cobs now before I get left behind and the market go's mad for it in the UK and prices all get jacked up (they are starting to)... also I like building stuff... my mates like me building stuff for them to, so I see some future seed pocket money in the making when they want to join the COB gang.

I did do quite a bit of reading on the subject but being a man that has more of a connection with a saw and piece of wood most of it went way over my head. Most of the time I was not sure what I was reading so I decided to just buy a pre put together kit to save me the time and hassle of my brain hurting and sourcing the parts separately, which can be a hassle in the UK. Lucky a man in Sweden had these kits on ebay for about £50 more than if I sourced it all by my self... he has now realised that he had under cut him self by a considerable amount and doubled the price on the kits to come more in line with cobkits.com...:rofl:

So in the good old fashion of AFN I though would document my build over this coming week to help any one else that wants to do the same... and also to make sure that I'm doing it right...

Right guys and girls I would love your input and to tell me if you think I'm doing anything wrong @BigSm0 @2Stoned2Care @hippy71 @KonopCh and any one else wanting to say there bit please do, I'm not a man who is up on the techie specie side of things but I love building stuff.

So what did I get in my kit
5x Citizen CLU048-1212 90 CRI COB LED (3500k)
5x 120x80mm pin fin heatsinks untapped
5x COB holder
1x Pairui 250W LGSU250-C1400D dimmable
1x Dimmer (100k potentiometer) for dimming down to 10%
1x Knob for dimmer (potentiometer)
1x 3 meter RED cabel 600V
1x 3 meter BLACK cabel 600V
4x 1 meter WHITE cabel 600V
1x IEC C14 connector

Extra's I have picked up...

Thermal paste is in the post, be with me Tuesday
6m of 'L' shape Aluminum (way more that I need)
Drill bits, self tapping screws, nuts and bolts etc.
and a 2 pin connector for plugging the lights into the driver...got me a plan.

The Plan
Well I spent a hole day watching the growmouse vids on youtube (they really are very good, all you need to know about how to build this stuff and more)...spent a day designing my own lay out and frame...watched some growmouse on youtube... spent more time designing my frame... watch some growmouse on youtube... gave up on my desigsn and decided to just go with his X frame formation design... Its designed for a 3x3 tent which is what I nearly have, mine is 80cm x 80cm x 160cm (in new money)... also it looks super cool. Here's a link to the vid.
Bonus is the family are going to the in-laws for the week so I can take over the dinning room table to build this...and try not drill any more holes in it :mrgreen:. The plan is to get it up and running by the end of the week just in time for a White Cheese by Dinafem that I popped into the mud on Fri.

I will be starting tomorrow with tapping the heat sinks and building the frame...pics to come.

No pics yet so here is a picture of a cute cat until I get building tomorrow...

Ugly-Cats-08.jpg

I'm in exactly the same boat but have to wait for a weeks before I can order my stuff.
So I'm subbed up for the ride ;)
I've never heard of the driver is it cheaper than a meanwell that all seem to use ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm in exactly the same boat but have to wait for a weeks before I can order my stuff.
So I'm subbed up for the ride ;)
I've never heard of the driver is it cheaper than a meanwell that all seem to use ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have no idea if its cheaper as it was part of a kit, could be... I did noticed that Growmau5 use's them as part of his kits in the vids. I also I got a thumbs up form BigSm0 who is the COB guru round here just before I bought.

I love it. Here to help if you run into trouble.

Thank dude, I'm so excited I've been waiting to do this for 2 weeks... and I've got rid of the family for 6 days :headbang: I love them to bits but Dad wants to fiddle with his cobs... in peace... and get very stoned all day, every day.

Just be careful bro. You start getting stoned and building lights you'll end up like me. I never thought it was possible to sit in one place for 12 hours straight till I mixed these two together. :thumbsup:

I get much better at drilling holes in things i shouldn't after getting really stoned myself! :funny:

:yeah:

Back