Soil storage?

LearningMore

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I live out in the country. My ag supply place gets Fox Farm Happy Frog soil in once a year in the spring, so I need to buy a year’s worth of soil at a time. Any recommendations on storing the soil? I have a shed to keep the rain off, but it will get hot in there this summer (in Southern US). I’m figuring the microbes would likely not survive, so I planned to add microbes (Recharge or FF Microbe Brew) right before use. Also, I’ll use yucca to reduce the risks of dry spots when I water before planting. Any concerns/thoughts/suggestions? Thanks

Compost piles and manure piles get really hot internally and still house a plethra of microbes. U should be fine in a shed imo.

I live out in the country. My ag supply place gets Fox Farm Happy Frog soil in once a year in the spring, so I need to buy a year’s worth of soil at a time. Any recommendations on storing the soil? I have a shed to keep the rain off, but it will get hot in there this summer (in Southern US). I’m figuring the microbes would likely not survive, so I planned to add microbes (Recharge or FF Microbe Brew) right before use. Also, I’ll use yucca to reduce the risks of dry spots when I water before planting. Any concerns/thoughts/suggestions? Thanks
Lots of microbes can survive 140°F but if it goes above pasteurization temperature of 160°F most of them will die. I would reinoculate them in any case as is your plan.

Definitely keep the critters away. Rats, mice, groundhogs, etc. might like the smell of the mix. I made the mistake of storing Azomite in my open garage. Only took a few days and something ate into that and the Plant Tone I had there. Everything is in 30 gallon trash cans now.

Definitely keep the critters away. Rats, mice, groundhogs, etc. might like the smell of the mix. I made the mistake of storing Azomite in my open garage. Only took a few days and something ate into that and the Plant Tone I had there. Everything is in 30 gallon trash cans now.
The shed is on concrete. I’ve got DE sprinkled around the base of the stack. I also keep animal feed in the shed, so I’m guessing they’d go for that first…but they have to get past the mouse traps. :fire: I also have a dog that loves to hunt gophers, so I HOPE I can minimize the carnage. Though anyone who battles pests knows there’s never complete victory. Ha!

Back