Questions about hydrophobic soil & wetting agents, Yucca, Aloe Vera, dish soap etc.

OM2

Reaction score
Hey guys, i need some help regarding hydrophobic soil and wetting agents. I'm using Biobizz soil which contains peat moss, i'm trying to water as slowly as possible and not letting it too dry, but it still becomes hydrophobic sometimes at certain spots. I was reading some information online but it's a bit vague, so i wanted to gather as much information in one place. Please share your thoughts and knowledge!

1. What kind of Yucca extract should i be looking for? It's hard to find it in EU, i mostly get results for cosmetic products and i'm not sure which one to get. None of the botanical shops in my area have Yucca.

2. Can i add Yucca while watering, or does it need to be added to the soil beforehand?

3. How much of Yucca should be used, and how often?

4. Does it harm the microbes in the soil? Does it raise or lower pH? Are there any side-effects on the plant i should be aware of, for example does it lock out some nutrients or something along those lines?

5. Same questions for Aloe Vera: what kind, how much, how often etc.

6. Dish soap: i see many people mentioned 'Dawn' dish soap but i can't find that brand here. What is so special about Dawn dish soap? Can i use any other dish soap? Will it not harm the microlife?

Hey guys, i need some help regarding hydrophobic soil and wetting agents. I'm using Biobizz soil which contains peat moss, i'm trying to water as slowly as possible and not letting it too dry, but it still becomes hydrophobic sometimes at certain spots. I was reading some information online but it's a bit vague, so i wanted to gather as much information in one place. Please share your thoughts and knowledge!

1. What kind of Yucca extract should i be looking for? It's hard to find it in EU, i mostly get results for cosmetic products and i'm not sure which one to get. None of the botanical shops in my area have Yucca.

2. Can i add Yucca while watering, or does it need to be added to the soil beforehand?

4. Does it harm the microbes in the soil? Does it raise or lower pH? Are there any side-effects on the plant i should be aware of, for example does it lock out some nutrients or something along those lines?

6. Dish soap: i see many people mentioned 'Dawn' dish soap but i can't find that brand here. What is so special about Dawn dish soap? Can i use any other dish soap? Will it not harm the microlife?

I use NPK industries RAW yucca but not sure if it's available in EU

I think it may depend on the yucca but the stuff i use i mix with my water/rezs once a week

Once a week and a very small amout goes along ways

As far as i know no it does not harm or affect any of that

:shrug:

:yoinks: :nono:

I use this powdered yucca from Amazon weekly. Works great. Doesn't change pH or ppm at all. Just gotta skim off the foam before watering in
PXL_20230427_023931618.jpg

Thanks for your replies! I will keep searching, really hard to find.. I only get results for capsules for human consumption, or cosmetic products. And most of them are mixed with other ingredients, none of them are pure Yucca.
Found some from UK but damn Brits left the EU haha :(

Back