SP3000 vs TSL2000?

Reaction score
Just completing my first grow experiment in a temporary 2x2 space with a TSL600 I got on special.
Building out a permanent 2x4 grow closet, so will need something bigger for the next attempt.
The MH light seems to have worked well, so think I’ll stick with the brand again.

On a budget here for this build so trying to decide if the extra ~60% $$$ for a SP3000 is worth it over a TSL2000?
Comparing the spec sheets for both they seem kinda similar, both 300W for a start. Not really sure what stats are the important ones to look at for these though. The SP has only a very slighty higher ‘max yield’ if that means much?

Anyone used either or both and got an opinion?

cheers!

Although the TSL2000 has 730-740nm diodes. The SP3000 has got the newer and more energy efficient Samsung LM301B diodes.
Maybe if you use the discount code "AFN" the price difference won't be that much of a threshold :thumbsup:

Yeah, the code and the current sale is definitely pushing me to another MH.

What about heat output? The slightly extra length of the SP will push it closer to the end walls, which are cheap white paneling and not terribly heat resistant. Warping them would be bad. The TS600 I have doesn’t get too hot, how about the bigger output from the SP? Maybe not an issue, but I’m a total newbie with these things.

I think you will get better light distribution with the ts. The sp series are long and thin,so only the middle of the grow will be getting the most light

Thanks.

I was wondering about that. I noticed the description of the SP says “can fit neatly under trusses” and seems to be aimed at commercial folks with greenhouses for supplemental light.

Think I might save a few bucks and go for the TSL2000.
Knowing me I’ll then decide I need more power next time and upgrade again!
Don’t tell my wife … :grrr2:

“He who dies with the most toys wins!” Right? :headbang:

I think you will get better light distribution with the ts. The sp series are long and thin,so only the middle of the grow will be getting the most light
Well, not in a 2x4. It packs it pretty well and even.
Yeah, the code and the current sale is definitely pushing me to another MH.

What about heat output? The slightly extra length of the SP will push it closer to the end walls, which are cheap white paneling and not terribly heat resistant. Warping them would be bad. The TS600 I have doesn’t get too hot, how about the bigger output from the SP? Maybe not an issue, but I’m a total newbie with these things.

If you're worried about heat, you can move the driver to outside your grow area.

You actually get better coverage and light spectrum with the SP3000. Here's the par maps. I own both, but have only done seed to harvest with the SP3000.
Screenshot_20211105-090432_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211105-090340_Chrome.jpg

Ha. I already bought a TSL2000 to save a few bucks. On MH Halloween special with the afn code. All good though.

I may use the savings to get a different extractor fan. I have one (still in the box) I got on special off woot, but may get a Mars hydro one with temp/humidity controller instead.

Back