Starting seeds/transplanting

Kirka88

Hold my beer and watch this!
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
So here's a question I've wondered about. I've always started seeds by 12 hours in water then paper towels(baggies) on temp controlled heating pad.
Then Ive gone to jiffy pellets or doubled keg cups(drainage holes). The inner has bottom cut out and side slit.

I like this b/c I can start them upstairs where its warmer and with a 30 watt strip led.

So my question is what are people's opinions about the least xplant shock...
Jiffy pellets (bottom netting removed) direct to final pot immediately after sprout
Or
Doubled keg cups (like 4 days) directly to final pot.

Or any other method not mentioned lol

So here's a question I've wondered about. I've always started seeds by 12 hours in water then paper towels(baggies) on temp controlled heating pad.
Then Ive gone to jiffy pellets or doubled keg cups(drainage holes). The inner has bottom cut out and side slit.

I like this b/c I can start them upstairs where its warmer and with a 30 watt strip led.

Jiffy pellets (bottom netting removed) direct to final pot immediately after sprout
Or

I start all my plants in root riots then into solo cups and from then say about day 10 to 15 into the final pot also this is my germination method https://www.autoflower.org/threads/germination-the-ronin-way.33891/ 99 per cent or more with very low loss

I start all my plants in root riots then into solo cups and from then say about day 10 to 15 into the final pot also this is my germination method https://www.autoflower.org/threads/germination-the-ronin-way.33891/ 99 per cent or more with very low loss
Thanks!
That's quite close to how I'm currently doing it though...
Ive never tried the root riots or how in ronin-way tutorial he preps them thanks for the link!

I noticed at day 4 the tap roots had reached the bottom of my keg cups. I thought I saw posts that once that happens you need to transplant (though I could have misunderstood).
Now with photos I usually wait till like day 7 to 10.
My concern is preventing shock at transplant since autos seem to have a limited window

Last edited:
here are some of my coco and lightmix soil girls before I pot them up and I've been going this route for many years

Attachments

• 20220805_171708.jpg
    20220805_171708.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220806_220354.jpg
    20220806_220354.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220912_170406.jpg
    20220912_170406.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
Wow they look great and that's around the point I normally would transplant my photos. I'm guessing you get no stall since you've got a method you stick with

Or

I use the Jiffy pellets and will often transfer to final pot before sprout, because the radicle is emerging out of the bottom of the Jiffy in less than 40hrs. Notice I said transfer, not transplant. I am horrible at transplanting. I'm an old and have the tremors.

Attachments

• Emerging 35 hrs;.jpg
    Emerging 35 hrs;.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
This might be foolish to ask but what is the difference between transfer and transplant?

For years, I've placed a seed, auto and photo, in a solo cup of my chosen prepared medium, place on heat mat. Nothing extra. 100% Germ. Transplant to final pot in bout 2 weeks. Simple and proven.

Hahaha I like proven and simple.

Back