After a couple weeks of curing, all the jars have settled around 60-62% RH.

View attachment 1423430

I weighed everything, about 192g total. 48g/sqft, pretty good for solo cups. :biggrin: That's around 25g each, give or take, with the Ghost Toof yielding the most (46g!) and the smaller Zamaldelica Express the least (15g). The picture is the Auto Zamaldelica, 30.56g.

View attachment 1423431

The cups have had some time to dry out, so I separated the coco, hydroton, and roots. This is from the Auto Zamaldelica, whose coco had previously pushed up over three inches past the rim of the cup. Somebody who knows roots better might be able to tell more about what it means, but the cup started out as maybe 10% hydroton at the bottom, then all coco with a little perlite. The hydroton visible about halfway down there was at the bottom before, and there was no hydroton below that, just a solid mass of roots with some smaller coco fibers.

View attachment 1423432

Here's a bud of the Auto Zamaldelica, complete with my half-assed trimming. I tried it this weekend. I will probably have something more coherent to say after I've tried it more, but wow, it did not disappoint. Anybody who passes over flower like this because it lacks bag appeal is missing out.
spectacular solo grow, your subirrigation setup works a treat.

You mentioned that you are trying to deal with top heaviness. I support the solos by placing them in a hole sized so that they only reach a centimeter or so above the support, which in my case is the plastic lid on a nut jar:

IMG_1067.JPG

Unfortunately, I use top watering, and I am not sure how you could easily use this sort of support for your irrigation. One possibility is to cut the bottom off the nut jar so that it is just the right height to let the solo touch the surface of the irrigation surface. I cut the hole that the solo sits in with a hole saw. You could also use holes in a plywood shelf positioned at exactly the right height above the irrigation surface, but that would not permit shuffling plants around to deal with changes in canopy.

Congrats again on a fine grow! :pighug:

spectacular solo grow, your subirrigation setup works a treat.

You mentioned that you are trying to deal with top heaviness. [...]
Congrats again on a fine grow! :pighug:
Thanks!

Before I settled on bottom-feeding, I did a grow experimenting with several different passive hydro approaches and one of the things I tried was like your nut jar setup, only I had rope wicks going down into the lower jar (mine was a quart mason jar), and I covered it to avoid algae. The plant was able to wick extra water while I was away for up to a week. That was my previous Zamaldelica Express, coincidentally. :biggrin: The nut jars seem better proportioned than glass jars. (There are some posts about that grow on the Autoflowers subreddit.)

Rather than trying to stabilize solo cups, I should probably just try using a different container. There are other ~1/2 liter food containers with wider bases that may do better -- in Dropped Cat's "Zamaldelica x Zamaldelica" grow journal on ICMag, which was in many ways an inspiration for this one, he's using 16 oz. yogurt or sour cream containers as small hempy buckets. (Can I link to that here?)

Aside from upcycling containers, 1-liter airpots are my favorite pot overall, but they're a little larger and don't keep the plants quite as small. They are easy to clean and reuse, though, and absolutely perfect for bottom-feeding coco.

Last edited:
quick strain reviews
Now that I've tried all of them at least a couple times, some quick reviews:

- Auto Zamaldelica and Zamaldelica Express: I commented about them before, but I prefer the ZE's terps and taste (purple, sweet spices), the AZ's effects (a bit more psychedelic). They are both outstanding.

- Hubbabubba Haze: This rules. It's everything I love about Hubbabubbasmelloscope, but more potent, and with fuzz pedal. Great sativa buzz with a fun stony side. Also tastes excellent. Instant favorite. :mrgreen:

- Neville's Haze Ryder: This is a weird one. It's super strong, with a drifting focus but laser-beam intensity, and it comes and goes in waves. I'm still figuring it out. On its own, it seems wild and raw, but could be great adding power to a cross with something that grounds and modulates it a bit? It smells like sweet and slightly skunky incense, and the taste has a distinctly metallic, almost mothball note.

- Auto Power Plant: This has the same glorious, soaring high as the photoperiod Power Plant flower I've tried (yay!), but where that was clearheaded, the APP brings some memory fog, probably from the Think Different auto trait donor. Starts out with a sativa high, settles into an indica stone. Particularly great for listening to music.

- Ghost Toof: Puts me in a great mood, and then to sleep. I don't really get how the Fantasmo Express side fits into this one's effects, though I guess that's where it gets its size? I see why this is really popular.

Nice grow! :d5: How is it possible you don't have a cultivators badge?

Thanks. I don't know how the badge stuff works here :shrug:

I think you have everything you need here. To get a ctivator badge you have to journal a grow and post a final weight. Not sure if there is anythig else, maybe @420Forever can help you out.

After a couple weeks of curing, all the jars have settled around 60-62% RH.

View attachment 1423430

I weighed everything, about 192g total. 48g/sqft, pretty good for solo cups. :biggrin: That's around 25g each, give or take, with the Ghost Toof yielding the most (46g!) and the smaller Zamaldelica Express the least (15g). The picture is the Auto Zamaldelica, 30.56g.

View attachment 1423431

The cups have had some time to dry out, so I separated the coco, hydroton, and roots. This is from the Auto Zamaldelica, whose coco had previously pushed up over three inches past the rim of the cup. Somebody who knows roots better might be able to tell more about what it means, but the cup started out as maybe 10% hydroton at the bottom, then all coco with a little perlite. The hydroton visible about halfway down there was at the bottom before, and there was no hydroton below that, just a solid mass of roots with some smaller coco fibers.

View attachment 1423432

Here's a bud of the Auto Zamaldelica, complete with my half-assed trimming. I tried it this weekend. I will probably have something more coherent to say after I've tried it more, but wow, it did not disappoint. Anybody who passes over flower like this because it lacks bag appeal is missing out.

:bravo: :slap: belated congratz on the harvest & a shiny lil badge is now ur'z for the effort :thumbsup: plz display it under ur name by goin to profile > badgez & clickin the lil megaphone icon beside it ;) and keep an eye on ur alertz next day or so for another neat treat :eyebrows: ppp

BOOM! :d5: Well deserved and long overdue :joy:

After a couple more weeks of curing, the Auto Power Plant's memory fog seems to be less prominent, so that's great.

Last edited:
Back