Supercritical CO2 Extraction:Pure Cannabis Oil

Too bad its a process out of reach to the average user.

I've watched some of the videos for super critical co2 extraction. Anyone know if using the extraction process for BHO has been tried with liquid co2? When liquid co2 is used it becomes very cold, just as butane. Would the process of essential freezing the trichomes and fracturing them off of the buds work very much like butane? I'm definitely not up on the BHO process and why it works. Thanks in advance.

I've watched some of the videos for super critical co2 extraction. Anyone know if using the extraction process for BHO has been tried with liquid co2? When liquid co2 is used it becomes very cold, just as butane. Would the process of essential freezing the trichomes and fracturing them off of the buds work very much like butane? I'm definitely not up on the BHO process and why it works. Thanks in advance.

You need a pressure vessel to keep the CO2 liquid, there are some custom made vessels for this, in fact, I think Skunkpharm builds them and may even have plans to build one. Even then, its not something the average person is going to want to tackle. When CO2 goes from liquid to a gas, it can build up to 1200 PSI. That's how CO2 guns work.

You need a pressure vessel to keep the CO2 liquid, there are some custom made vessels for this, in fact, I think Skunkpharm builds them and may even have plans to build one. Even then, its not something the average person is going to want to tackle. When CO2 goes from liquid to a gas, it can build up to 1200 PSI. That's how CO2 guns work.
There are vessels already in use for CO2 the only thing that would need to be done is have the draw tube at the bottom of the tank, you mention CO2 guns - ie paintball markers comes to mind. The older markers had an option to use liquid CO2, and the draw tube was at the bottom of the tank. Heat was culprit there as the tank warmed the liquid would turn to gas. My thought is ice water bath to keep the tank cool, commercial CO2 tanks are available - search for Airgas and usually pretty cheap to rent and refill. Coming up with an adapter to use that would be safe would be a challenge for the home DIY'er. My question is: Is CO2 a viable option to substitute for Butane? Are the chemical properties of CO2 as a transfer medium worth further investigation? The rash of home fires by those not heeding the safety requirements of making wax should be a concern, will it become more difficult to obtain butane if the hazards continue to appear on the front page of the newspaper? "Stoners burn down the apartment complex trying to make concentration marijuana"

CO2 is the way all commercial concentrates are heading. Its every bit as good as a solvent as butane, with none of the downsides, ie, no hydrocarbon residues etc that butane, hexane, Naptha all leave behind and are very difficult to extract ti a safe level, at least with a reasonable effort by the average user. There's a post on here showing the levels of residual contaminants left behind by various solvents.

Yes I've seen some CO2 vessels, but their price is out of range of most people who would want to make their own at home. I could buy a LOT of concentrate for the cost of the equipment needed for CO2 extract. I wish it were otherwise!

Back