New Grower Sweet sweet Grow

Much appreciated @LordGreenWood !
I'll keep my eyes on that temp. The tent is pretty stable so it shouldn't creep up at all.

With the decent root development I probably won't wait until day 10 to transplant as I had loosely planned out. Once transplanted they won't fit in the space bucket together and I'll get them in the tent and under the QB/COBs. Then I'll have to reassess what the temp/RH is like in the new digs and tweak as needed. Was thinking of starting around 36" away (or as high as my tent will allow) since none of the lights I have are dimmable. May also have to add a humidifier in the tent to keep that RH up.

Day 8

Alright, so I decided it would be a good idea to get these things in there final homes before I mess up any roots too badly.
I used 2 gallon fabric pots, with a layer of clay pebbles on the bottom for extra drainage, and filled with Pro-mix HP. I then precharged each with 3L (1.5L a pot) mixed with 0.5g Sweet Candy and 1g MegaCrop (~365ppm, 6.2ph). They were left to sit in the tent for about a day and a half before I did the transplant.

Here's what the Sweet and Sour looks like down under, nice roots so far.
IMG_3709.jpg

Here is the Sweet Nurse, less root development but still a few poking out here or there.
IMG_3710.jpg

Once transplanted, I watered around the cups with 0.5L each of some diluted leftover mix from above, about 150ppm/6.1ph, to make sure there are no air gaps in the soil.
Here they are in their new home.
IMG_3711.jpg

I have 2 DIY cob lights on currently at their highest possible in the tent at ~34" away from the seedlings. I measured about 12,000 lux for each which I think is around the ballpark for this stage. After letting the tent stabilize the environment is around 25C/50% RH.
I also have the quantum board at the same height but isn't currently on, if I do turn it on, it increases the light to 26,000 lux. I'd be interested in hearing other peoples opinion on when to turn that light on and/or/if I should be lowering them at all. Here's the light setup from below
IMG_3712.jpg

Day 11
Still creeping along, Ive added a humidifier to increase the RH so now the tents at about 25C/70%.
The pots felt pretty light after 3 days so I decided it was time to feed.

Mixed up 2L with 0.5g Sweet Candy & 0.5g Mega Crop, 350ppm/6.2pH

Each one got 1L, mostly on the outer side of the solo cups. I think they are looking ok so far, maybe a touch slow.

Sweet and Sour
318fc871f36be903df8f71be49c33c14.jpg

Sweet Nurse
9676b6a22f572c72030f505679c30e9b.jpg

Hey all, Day 13 and things are going well. Actually, the Sweet and Sour is tied for my best developed plant for it’s age. So that’s pretty exciting. Thinking about topping them and doing some LST to control height with the short tent.

Environment wise, the humidifier is working well keeping the tent at about 25C/70%.

Question for people though, when should I turn on the Quantum board? Currently the 2 COBs are about 33” from the plants at about 12-13k lux. The quantum board is at the same height as the COBs and turning it on will increase the temperature a few degrees and will increase the light to ~26k lux.

Sweet and Sour
07d7f342c3554afb119bf992e6c5042e.jpg

Sweet Nurse CBD
b944e9b59fa7632c0b70198ccaf76eac.jpg

Anyone able to help me out?

Each plant has been under a single 55W 3500K COB. In a 3x2 space that’s 18.3w/sq ft.

If I turn on the 3000K QB288 it adds another 135W, bringing it up to 40.8w/sq ft.

When is the appropriate time to turn it on? Should I be Vegging entirely on the COBs, then turn on the QB for flowering for the extra power, or should I be turning it on sometime soon as they are out of the fragile seedling stage?

I'm not an expert on lights, but your plants looks like they are nice and bushy, not much stretch and those cobs should be plenty until they get bigger. I would switch the QB on once they start to flower, or start showing more stretch, but for now they look good. It wouldn't hurt to have extra lumens as long as you watch how close they are and keep an eye on the plants for stress.
I'll let some others weigh in too and see what they figure.

I think alot of QB and COB growers get good vegetative growth around 15-20 w/ft and flowers 20-30. At least I do. Some say you can never have to much light. Not me.

FB
:pass:

I'm not an expert on lights, but your plants looks like they are nice and bushy, not much stretch and those cobs should be plenty until they get bigger. I would switch the QB on once they start to flower, or start showing more stretch, but for now they look good. It wouldn't hurt to have extra lumens as long as you watch how close they are and keep an eye on the plants for stress.
I'll let some others weigh in too and see what they figure.

That makes sense. If it was stretching more than you’d want you would add more light or move the light closer. But if it’s filling out and stretching within the amount for your Grow space then leave it be.

Thanks for your input!

I think alot of QB and COB growers get good vegetative growth around 15-20 w/ft and flowers 20-30. At least I do. Some say you can never have to much light. Not me.

FB
:pass:

Ahh ya I could see that. I should be sitting pretty good as my wattage for this space is right around there. There is such thing as too much light and I think I’m going to like this new setup. If it works out where I can keep the lights at the top of the tent from the early veg stage, let them grow up into them, and switch the QB on toward late veg to early flower and adjust height as needed, it could make for some sweet results!

Thanks!

Back again with an update. On day 15 I mixed up 2L w 0.5g of each Sweet Candy and MegaCrop (340ppm, 6.1ph) and watered them each 1L (no runoff).

We're now at Day 18 and it still didn't need watering, likely will tomorrow. They have been consistently needing watering every 4 days or so which is maybe due to the high RH (tent still consistently 25C/70%). That's maybe a bit long between watering and maybe I should have been watering less, more often, but I dunno I'll probably keep it this way for another feed before I up the volume to start getting a bit of runoff.

Additionally, I decided it was a good time to top the Sweet and Sour. There was enough of the 6th node grown out so I clipped between 5th and 6th node. Hopefully we see a fast recovery and the side branches take off. I'll be starting LST soon as well.
IMG_3756.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

The Sweet Nurse is a bit shorter than the S&S so the 6th node isn't quite grown out as much. I'll probably wait another day or two before topping this one.
IMG_3762.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all, day 22 now

I’ve been clipping some of the top fan leaves to open up the lower branches. I think 3 pairs over 3 days for each plant. Hopefully it doesn’t shock them too much but the lower growth is looking good so far.

Mixed up some feed with 3L water (50ppm to start) with 0.75g Sweet Candy (210ppm) & 1g Mega Crop (380ppm total), at 6.4ph

Each of them got 1.5L of this and there was minimal runoff.
Here’s the Sweet and Sour, I also started some LST shown in the second pic.
fc9ede35e7a2d46e742dd0476891ba1a.jpg

838c9e6b76add42652b27acccf533ace.jpg

Here’s the Sweet Nurse, it’s a bit shorter so I had a bit less LST required at this point.
1b1e927ea786ce0aa29f6abb8660059d.jpg

I’m pretty happy with how these COBs are doing so far. Hopefully the explosive growth is around the corner!

Back