Dinafem The Blue Amnesia XXL Automatic that wouldn't flower.... until I did THIS!!!

Teetee

Lost in Space
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hey fellow Auto growers and Dinafem lovers!

I came across an interesting situation which I thought I should share with you.

I was lucky to get some Dinafem 'Blue Amnesia XXL Automatic seeds from the very wonderful @Dinafem-Mark, and I wasn't disappointed..... the 1st time I grew one I harvested 18.4 ounces of exceptional quality bud....

large.5b9d36f55c912_day102BA1.JPG

She was a MONSTER!

Naturally, I thought I should grow her again, so this is how things went.....

Like always, I sow my seeds directly into Coco, and for this grow, I had my Blue Amnesia along with 3 other Automatics....

large.5cea9e187cd5f_day1group.JPG
Day 1

She started off just like the others (except the Double Glueberry OG)
large.5cea9e2b563b8_day7group3.JPG
Day 7

I repotted to 25 Litre Airpots in the 3rd week, and here she is on day 20.....
large.5cfbd30ab7cda_day20BA.JPG

Nothing wrong so far. She looks great.

By day 29 though, I could see that she (top right) wasn't growing at the pace that the others were.....
large.5d164488863a4_day29group.JPG

and by day 40, although the others had started flowering, the Blue Amnesia had not....
large.5d1645628d2a7_day40group.JPG

I gave her the benefit of the doubt and carried on, I thought that because she's an XXL, maybe she'll take a bit longer in veg.

Another week passed by, and still no flowers.
Looking back, my previous BA looked like this at day 44........
large.5b48204404b3b_day44BA.JPG

Plenty of flowering and stretch, as you'd expect by this stage.

This current Blue Amnesia was looking different though. Day 48 now...... large.5d20dc585b23d_day48BA2.JPG

Looking very healthy, but where's those flowers???

I carried on regardless, and on day 62, looking a bit thirsty, but still NO flowers....
large.5d32da6a44017_day62BA1.JPG

Closer you can see lots of new, vigorous growth, preflowers, and I'm glad to say, no ball bags.
large.5d32da76395f2_day62BA2.JPG

OK I thought, she's definitely not a he. Maybe give her some PK 13/14 to kick start her into flowering.... as you might expect, no change.

There was only one opton left, maybe she's a Photoperiod?

I searched around, and I couldn't find much. Dinafen don't even make a Blue Amnesia Photoperiod, so I decided to get a new tent... a really cheap 1.2 x 1.2m wide, 2m high job, and cobble together some lights and extraction.
She needed to be under 12/12 ASAP while the rest of my Autos finished in the old tent on the usual 20/4 lighting regime.

Here she is outside the old tent on day 67.....
large.5d3a1ea85cd5f_day67BA1.JPG

I was beginning to think she was a bit too big for the new tent.

After a long wait for the tent, up it went, and in she went.... day 72
large.5d405cd1131f8_day72BA1.JPG

Yup..... Those old LEDs are up at the highest possible point. Not much room for any buds to grow.

I was already using the old Photon 126 unit for the main grow.... as supplemental lighting, but now there's one less plant in my main tent, I moved it into my new tent for the Blue Amnesia.... it wasn't enough to cover her with light, so I dug around some more and looked for my old Helios lights......

I think I got them back in 2012/3.... everyone was using HPS.... if you used LED's you'd get lynched online.... everyone telling you they are useless, don't live upto the hype, too expensive etc etc....

Despite all the 'advice' and warnings.... I went with LED Hydroponics..... I don't know why, but I think it had a lot to do with the knowledge that the main Man @muddy-ledhydroponic there has.... he knew his product, and gave the best advice on how to use them.
Then I watched open mouthed as a grower called Ledbud, grew a massive Automazar with one. In those days. most growers were getting 3 to 5 ounces from an Auto, Ledbud scored 14 ounces!!!

I found my old (2x) Helios 2's and one Helios 6...... the Helios 6 was my beloved first LED..... the one they all tried to shit on.

But she showed them.... she showed them how to grow a kilo from 2 Auto Ultimates..... oh yes.

I could not believe it...they all fired up first time! Quality gear.

I'll save the Helios 2's for later, but the Helios 6 and the Photon 126 are now back together like Jake and Elwood, bathing my Blue Amnesia in pure LED goodness.....
large.5d405cd83fe45_day72BA2.JPG

2 days later, day 74 she was already hitting the lights, so I shoved a load of long stakes in and supercropped the fuck out of all those tall stems.
large.5d50b3b9b9234_day76BA1.JPG

.... giving me a nice flat canopy, and about a foot of space.....
large.5d50b3bfdcd05_day76BA2.JPG

It wasn't enough, and by day 83, she had grown a forest of stems, all hitting the lights again, so I got that sheet of 5cm metal mesh I used in my last grow, clipped it to some ratchet rope hangers, and lowered it down, click by click by click, tucking all the stems through the mesh, till I got it down to just above the the level of the previous supercroppings....

....then I supercropped the shit out of her again.....
large.5d50b3fb8656d_Day84BA2.JPG

.... and I gave her a good clear out down below.....
large.5d50b3f3693f8_Day84BA1.JPG

.... and here's a view from underneath. You can see some of the first supercroppings, tied to the stakes.....
large.5d50b408cb2f5_Day84BA4.JPG

.... and from above the next day (day 84) you can see the ratchet rope hanger, supercropped stems tied down to the mesh with green cable ties and lots of tops all growing upwards again.....
large.5d50b40130142_Day84BA3.JPG

.... and YES.... she's flowering!!!!!
large.5d50b40e45838_Day84BA5.JPG

The Autos in the main tent were just about done, so I moved the lights around and put a massive bank of Skyline LEDs in to give me better coverage over such a high canopy....
large.5d60417242f93_day97BA1.JPG

Look at the legs on that sexy Dame!

There's no more that a foot of space between the lights and the canopy...
large.5d60417a1426c_day97BA2.JPG

.... but the canopy is choc full of bud!
large.5d6041830cf3f_day97BA3.JPG

That's day 96!!!! about 3½ weeks into flower!!!

By day 104, I had moved her back into the (slightly bigger) old tent 1.4m x 1.4m wide, but still just the 2m height. I had reinforced the roof, so it was much easier and safer to load up with more lighting..... why not!
large.5d6b163f6b024_Day104BA2.JPG

I dunno if the tent can take anymore strain.... it's leaning to one side a little and even the reinforced mesh roof is bending.
I've had to put this much lighting in because of the lack of height space... reduced spread of light coverage etc.

Here's a shot of the amount of space I have, and you'll see what I mean....
large.5d6b163478ac1_Day104BA1.JPG

The canopy is sort of sloping down as you go into the tent... the stuff at the front is taller, so I have to crawl under the plant, and pop up at the back of the tent to get a better view....

Here's looking back at the left side...
large.5d6b164902cf8_Day104BA3.JPG

....and the right side....
large.5d6b16513c9b5_Day104BA4.JPG

A sea of colas....
large.5d6b165c898cc_Day104BA6.JPG

large.5d6b16578feb7_Day104BA5.JPG

large.5d6b1662e079e_Day104BA7.JPG

I've just started giving PK13/14, and hope she's got about 4 weeks left to go.

Day 116 and all going well. I had to do a plain water pH'd flush just to balance out the medium, and deal with the tip burning.
I've been keeping a close check on the run off these past few weeks, the extended veg period... that's a big ask for the medium to stay stable.

I'd been keeping the EC around 0.8 for a while now, pH 5.8 to 5.9, same feed, same everything apart from 5 days pf PK13/14.... also at EC0.8, given from day 103 (day 31 bloom)

The run off EC was about 0.6-0.7 prior to PK 13/14. During and after PK, I noticed the EC of the run off went upto 0.9-1.0.
pH was good however.... 5.8 to 6.0

I gave her a good flush... 24 hours of EC 0.1 rainwater adjusted to pH 5.8.

The following morning, run off was EC 0.3 pH 6.0, so that evening I made up another EC 0.8 feed like the one before I gave before and after the PK, only with 0.05ml/L less A&B in it...... hopefully she'll be back on track.

I think the tip burning and high EC run off was because of my temps.... all that lighting..... 1300W draw and 2600W output from the 4x Skyline 400's, 2x Skyline 100's and the Skyline 800..... that's made my tent a bit on the warm side.... 33°C right now.... but with plenty of air circulation fans. I get a good 10° drop in temps during lights out.

Here she is on day 116, 44 days into flowering.

The problem with a 73 day veg period, it that you get MONSTERS, so I had to do two phases of major supercropping, and got a mesh screen over her to maximise what little overhead space that I had.

A shit load of defoliation under the mesh, and I'm greeted with this as I open the tent....
large.5d7b9c691f608_day116BA4.JPG

The mesh screen is 120cm above ground and about a metre above the top of the coco.
I really don't have much space.... about 20-30cm between the canopy and the lights, which are at maximum height.....
large.5d7b9c71634de_day116BA5.JPG

The supercropping has allowed me to create a massive canopy 1.2m squared. I had to be brutal, but as you can see, she responded well....
large.5d7b9c79be4c6_day116BA6.JPG

It was after the first round of supercropping was done to all the main upright stems when I put the mesh screen over, so what you're seeing under the screen is that.
The second round of supercropping was done to all the shoots coming off the (1st round of supercropped) stems that grew above the net, and you might see a few green cable ties holding down some of that lot.

Are you with me so far???

Anyway, getting a decent pic of the canopy is pretty tricky, I have to crawl under to the back, and pop up between the two lights at the rear.

She won't fit in one frame, so this is the area on the left....
large.5d7b997f633c9_day116BA2.JPG

.... then the centre region....
large.5d7b99769c762_day116BA1.JPG

...and the right part.....
large.5d7b9985c6f8e_day116BA3.JPG

Then I came up with the idea of using the 'panoramic' function on my phone, and got this......
large.5d7b998d9b268_day116BApano.JPG

.... and even then I can't quite fit her all in one frame!

The buds are fattening up nicely, and are loading up with a good coating of trichomes..... pistils are beginning to brown off, so she won't be long now.....

Unfortunately, the time had come to move home, this gets very complicated so skin up another doob, spark up and enjoy the final stage of this grow!

Day 129..... 57 days into bloom, and there's an open house later in the day.... we're moving out and the Landlord wants the place viewable for future tenants.

I've been planning for this, and I was ready to go as soon as I finished my wake and bake. Joint out, made another fat one (you know how it goes) and got to work.

Here she is then.... ready to start her new adventure.....
large.5da09928a139e_Day129BAinspection1.JPG

Lights out is usually 8am, so on the dot, I unhooked all the yoyos and dragged her out of the tent. I had fed her the night before, and so after 12 hours of light, she wasn't excessively heavy.
I got one of those plastic dust sheets you can get from DIY shops and wrapped that around her to gather everything up towards the middle. The plant was 1.2m by 1.2m wide so getting her through doorways would be a problem unless I could get her width down to 80cm.
large.5da0994084537_Day129BAinspection3.jpg

I stuck a load of black bin liners together, 6 by 3, with some parcel tape to make a kind of tarpaulin.... over that went, followed by another load of black bags.... all held together with more parcel tape......
large.5da099489e735_Day129BAinspection4.JPG

What a kinky bitch!!!

Anyway, I eased her through the door, lugged her downstairs, staggered outside, and dumped her in the carport.
I never throw shit out, so finally I had found a use for the cardboard box for a fridge we bought a couple of years back.....
large.5da09953239ad_Day129BAinspection5.JPG

I doused it in orange oil spray, parked the cars around it and got back to getting the tent down for the impending open house later in the afternoon.

I'm not gonna lie.... she stank!

But all went well, and the rabble came and went without a hitch.
I got the plant back inside, and skinned up again, the relief of not getting rumbled was incredible.

We got more and more caned, I couldn't be arsed to get the tent, fans and lighting up again for 'lights on' and the next day, we continued getting caned..... it wasn't until 5pm when I decided it was time to free her from her bondage...... when I ripped open the plastic, it was drenched inside! She'd been sweating like a Nun in a cucumber patch.

I had planned to use the same method again 3 days later when we had to move out... wrap her up in plastic, get her on a van and back in her tent in the new gaff by lights on...... but after the stress of the open house, I didn't fancy going through all that again, and seeing all that humidity build up in her gimp suit made me think the whole lot would be lost to rot if I continued, so I took drastic action......

large.5da0995b8d27c_day130BAchop1.JPG

Officially day 130 chop.... 58 days after flip.
Have a look at that blanket of bud!
large.5da0996a31c2b_day130BAchop2.JPG

It was nice and juicy, the trichomes all milky, so why not just finish this grow once and for all.....
large.5da09975baa27_day130BAchop3.JPG

I had shitloads to do, what with moving house and packing, cleaning etc, so cropping had to be done late at night.
I started my usual way, stem by stem, manicuring as I went, and hanging them in perforated cardboard boxes. 3 days went by in a blur, then it was move day.

The night before, I did as much manicuring as I could, but by 3am I was still left with a mountain of bud to deal with, so I just started chopping it all down, leaves and all.
I got a packing box. lined it with some packing paper, and laid out a load of stems on top. then some more packing paper, and then another layer of stems.... again and again like some kind of ganja lasagne.

I squeezed it down and then continued filling the box with the stems that I'd previously cut and hung, layer by layer until the box was stuffed. I taped it up and labelled it 'spices', doused it in orange spray, and put it with all the other boxes for the removal boys to load up in the van.

It took about 5 minutes for the whole house to stink of pungent blueberry.

'Oh I wish my house smelled like yours' said one bloke. 'Mmmmm' said another, 'that smells like strong stuff mate'. Then he went on about having to move 10 bin bags full of Peyote once, and how he's seen 'everything'.

These Guys were gonna be OK..... I could imagine some companies refusing to move drugs interstate, but this lot were fine about it!

Anyway, we made the move, and after everyone had gone, I sat down that night and thought about how I was gonna dry all this wet weed.

I was sitting in the large lock up space beside the house.... everything was packed in there... piles of boxes.... and slowly it all came together in my head.
I put up the new 1.2m² wide 2m high tent, hung up a filter and 6 inch extraction, and set to work unpacking the 'spice' box.

I hung the longer stems in some boxes, and clipped the shorter stems to a few sock hangers. I still had a load of smaller buds and stems to dry, and suddenly remembered I had this hanging net thingy I bought and never used a few years back.... all stashed in a box, somewhere in the piles of boxes in the lock up.... found it quite quickly, and hung it up in the tent, after scattering the last of the bud over it.

Being back in Suburbia, I have to be a bit more careful about prying eyes, so I came up with a solution to make the drying set up more stealthy.....
large.5da099b16273a_day138BAdrying1.JPG

Mrs Tee wan't happy about me using her precious screens, but you'd never guess, would you? Especially the bt of paper over the 'Grocell' label
lol

Then you open the screens......
large.5da099bd84b66_day138BAdrying2.JPG

..... and unzip the door......
large.5da0b760b3b29_day138BAdrying3a.jpg

Some manicured stems and a few with leaves still on.
large.5da099d309f6b_day138BAdrying4.JPG

.... and another, all with leaves on. I figure this will slow down the drying process as they wrap around the buds and hold the moisture in a bit longer.....
large.5da099e955a07_day138BAdrying5.JPG

So 2 boxes full, and 3 sock hangers as well.

Some of it was manicured....
large.5da099f31d1d8_day138BAdrying6.JPG

.... but most of it was leafy AF....
large.5da099fce6908_day138BAdrying7.JPG

The sock hangers are great, easy to load up, and easy to hang....
large.5da09a0d57bda_day138BAdrying8.JPG

I was pleased I remembered I had the drying net. I couldn't be bothered to individually wet manicure all that and brown paper bag it all. I was well knackered from all the moving, so this was a nice lazy solution.
large.5da09a1e96568_day138BAdrying9.JPG

I put the extraction on its lowest setting and let them rest for a good while.

On day 144, 14 days after the initial chop, I decided to do he final manicuring, weigh up and jar up. I'd probably left it a bit late, they were well dry.
It was pretty easy clipping off all the leaves, and eventually I made a couple of nice piles of nugs....
large.5da09a59a9b82_day144BAdryhaul3.JPG

The top pile of larger buds weighed 185g. The bottom pile weighed 246g. This was all the stuff from the boxes and the sock hangers.

The next day I went through the stuff on the drying net..... another 91g.
The bud has very nice bag appeal.... rock hard nuggets covered in sparkly trichomes......
large.5da09a2540b81_day144BAdryhaul1.JPG

large.5da09a3d86671_day144BAdryhaul2.JPG

If you tot up the numbers, you get 522g in total..... 18.4 ounces of bud from one plant.... a Blue Amnesia XXL Automatic that developed into a Photoperiod.
Dinafem doesn't sell Blue Amnesia in a Photoperiod, so this is a rarity indeed. And so fucking much of it as well!!!! What do you think @Dinafem-Mark

I grew Blue Amnesia Auto 2 grows ago..... this smells the same... pungent Blueberry with a deep rich aroma. Guess how much the Auto gave me in comparison.....
521.6g..... 18.4 ounces...... what an incredible coincidence!

So there we have it, this was quite a grow..... I started with 4 Autos in a cardboard box. One became a Siamese twin, and another decided to be a photo.
1378 grams or 48.6 ounces all jarred up! I'm well happy with that!

Thank you for joining me and seeing all the bullshit I have to deal with to get some decent smoke, and I hope you have as much success with your grows!

Last edited:
Looks great there Tee, i think my current grow should better my first and the second well that was a bit of a disasster but least i got bud and 0.21g of cbd to try lol. Thats a good idea the netting, i use a kmart indoor line thing and hang them by string, leave in a dark room and hope it doesnt get humid. :d5:

Dinafem doesn't sell Blue Amnesia in a Photoperiod, so this is a rarity indeed. And so fucking much of it as well!!!! What do you think @Dinafem-Mark

I think you totally smashed this one out of the park mate :thumbsup:

You got dealt a weird hand where an auto did not auto. Most growers would call it a day but you thought fast and came up with a solution which has clearly payed off :pass:

Even with house viewing you've still managed to pull of what I would call a very successful harvest :thumbsup:

As a grower things don't always go to plan. That's when we get creative. Well done :slap:

All the best :bong:

Mark..

Just found this M8.. wondered how that amnesia ended up.. off the fkn map is the answer to that :headbang: stellar stuff M8.. different level growin :d5: :worship:

Back