Transplanting Autos Causes Stress. Myth?

It is fully recyclable in several ways. The waste service here has a green bin for "Compostable" materiel which includes my used cubes as home agricultural waste. I have been tossing mine in there since they went to this system. We are only talking about a few cubic feet of material a few times a year. I used to do the stuff listed below but I now prefer the lazy route and it still gets put back into the environment in compost. Win Win.

2022-11-03_12-49-55.jpg

I disagree as far as cannabis is concerned, and I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post. I've transplanted more autos than most people on this forum. I took the time to observe and adapt a technique that optimizes the success of the transplant. The key I believe lies in a couple of steps. Transplant as soon as the leaves are as wide as the pot. Don't transplant when the soil is dry, water moderately first and give it a few minutes to be absorbed. I take one of the pots I start in, fill it and use it as a mold to create an exact hole for the seedling in the larger pot by filling in around it.
Work directly over the larger pot when you transplant, keep the distance from the seedling to the hole to a minimum.. Remove the pot from the root mass, not the root mass from the pot, it helps prevent the soil from breaking. tip the root mass into the hole and compress the soil around the root mass. EVERY time I've done this, I can measure growth within 8-12 hours. there is no root shock, there is no stalling.
The other advantage of transplanting is I can start the next grow so that there is no downtime in between. My seedlings usually get transplanted within a day or two of harvesting the current grow.
No, transplanting doesn't work for all species, but we're talking about Cannabis. It works and it works well when done right and with care.

Some plants like transplanting and some don't. I would never not grow lettuce or beets and transplant. But tomato's yes. Broccoli yes. I have done autos both ways and very carefully methods and I would say that transplanting is not as effective, but sometime overall yield is better because I can implement them earlier in the space I have. So you can get 1 or 2 extra grows in a year. They will stunt way before they are even to the outside of the pots. They will also take longer in Veg and even seem to run longer. That being said. I would not transplant autos if not needed. It seems that you lose lateral branching in the upper layers as the plant progresses and therefore picking up less nutes. It seems to catch up later adding the roots but I feel you are losing some premium growth. I am not saying these plants are tiny but I feel that the growth was less linear than without transplanting.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it's allowed in the compostables. Interesting! I'll stick to soil lol!

It is fully recyclable in several ways. The waste service here has a green bin for "Compostable" materiel which includes my used cubes as home agricultural waste. I have been tossing mine in there since they went to this system. We are only talking about a few cubic feet of material a few times a year. I used to do the stuff listed below but I now prefer the lazy route and it still gets put back into the environment in compost. Win Win.

View attachment 1534357

I disagree as far as cannabis is concerned, and I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post. I've transplanted more autos than most people on this forum. I took the time to observe and adapt a technique that optimizes the success of the transplant. The key I believe lies in a couple of steps. Transplant as soon as the leaves are as wide as the pot. Don't transplant when the soil is dry, water moderately first and give it a few minutes to be absorbed. I take one of the pots I start in, fill it and use it as a mold to create an exact hole for the seedling in the larger pot by filling in around it.
Work directly over the larger pot when you transplant, keep the distance from the seedling to the hole to a minimum.. Remove the pot from the root mass, not the root mass from the pot, it helps prevent the soil from breaking. tip the root mass into the hole and compress the soil around the root mass. EVERY time I've done this, I can measure growth within 8-12 hours. there is no root shock, there is no stalling.
The other advantage of transplanting is I can start the next grow so that there is no downtime in between. My seedlings usually get transplanted within a day or two of harvesting the current grow.
No, transplanting doesn't work for all species, but we're talking about Cannabis. It works and it works well when done right and with care.
Been there done that. I'd not say there is a stall right when you transplant at all. Just think the root structure is different Less lateral roiots in the upper substrate until later in the grow. I just don't think they grow quite as big. I have no scientific proof but I just get the feeling I am losing 1 or 2 oz per plant. I am not saying that the plants are small, at all, maybe I am greedy? I just wonder if they are achieving the same size. I am doing a non-transplant run next with everything else the same. so it will be interesting to see how they grow in comparison. Trust me I really like transplanting them, but am less enthusiastic about it lately. I am not sayin

Back