Transplanting Autos Causes Stress. Myth?

SOOTDAWG
But what would they be if you direct planted in the final pot?
We don't know!

Just playing Devil's Advocate. :eyebrows: :biggrin:
SOOTDAWG
But what would they be if you direct planted in the final pot?
We don't know!

Just playing Devil's Advocate. :eyebrows: :biggrin:
check these big girl transplants...into final pot would not have mattered.....environment..environment...environment

check these big girl transplants...into final pot would not have mattered.....environment..environment...environment

Day of chop on a girl that was transplanted at two weeks into an earthbox. She was 9ft tall.
img_20211010_122912845_hdr-jpg.1377370

What would she have been direct planted?
I think it more important on Earthboxes. The sooner you can get your girl 'on da rez', the sooner she can explode.

I'll transplant in the future, I'm sure. It will have to be needed.
An example: I have two tents and I'm waiting for a tent to open up, but I want all the girls to be same age.

Did that the start of the last grow. :eyebrows:
img_20220118_214740826_hdr-jpg.1409444

Transplanting autos will be a rare occurrence for me.

Day of chop on a girl that was transplanted at two weeks into an earthbox. She was 9ft tall.
img_20211010_122912845_hdr-jpg.1377370

What would she have been direct planted?
I think it more important on Earthboxes. The sooner you can get your girl 'on da rez', the sooner she can explode.

I'll transplant in the future, I'm sure. It will have to be needed.
An example: I have two tents and I'm waiting for a tent to open up, but I want all the girls to be same age.

Did that the start of the last grow. :eyebrows:
img_20220118_214740826_hdr-jpg.1409444

Transplanting autos will be a rare occurrence for me.
if you got the room..more power to final pot method.....but if your growing alot---and regulars to boot...helps with the culling of males and those with no spunk

The reasoning for transplanting. Space. You can get up to 14 days of growth before transplanting. That means I can start plant before the tent is empty. 4 runs a year saving 14 days each. That being said I would rather start them in the pot. But when done right they don't skip a beat. I think that it needs more research on what is the best method. I found that the 10" deep tree liners did not give hardly any lateral root growth. Everthing went straight down which would imitate a large pot. So maybe hitting the bottom of a shallow pot might be better? When growing perennials starting in a small pot and upsizing when the roots grow out cause some plants to actually grow better. If they are put in a big pot they don't grow as well.

The reasoning for transplanting. Space. You can get up to 14 days of growth before transplanting. That means I can start plant before the tent is empty. 4 runs a year saving 14 days each. That being said I would rather start them in the pot. But when done right they don't skip a beat. I think that it needs more research on what is the best method. I found that the 10" deep tree liners did not give hardly any lateral root growth. Everthing went straight down which would imitate a large pot. So maybe hitting the bottom of a shallow pot might be better? When growing perennials starting in a small pot and upsizing when the roots grow out cause some plants to actually grow better. If they are put in a big pot they don't grow as well.
I guess one way we could see a trend in how they react in different methods.
8 beans of the same strain that's very stable consistent. Four in solos and four in pots. The pots would be two types, one kind short and wide and other more standard, but same amount of media. Keep in the same tent and make sure the solo girls and shorter pots see the same light by keeping the seedlings at the same height.
It would be a cool grow.

I start every plant in a solo cup and never have issues potting them on I either cut the bottom out of the cup or completely remove it but as lond as your careful I've always found it easy they normally then go into the 15 ltr forever homes

Transplanting promotes healthy root ball formation and growth. If you are stunting or slowing your autos from transplanting you aren't doing it correctly. You really must be mangling them.

I believe that it is generally accepted in the horticulture world that transplanting a plant of any sort does cause stress. I think the more relevant question is does it cause enough stress to make any negative impact? To that I think the answer is, if the transplanting is done well and at the right time the stress is negligible, this has been my experience at least.

Last edited:
I believe that it is generally accepted in the horticulture world that transplanting a plant of any sort does cause stress. I think the more relevant question is does it cause enough stress to make any negative impact? To that I think the answer is, if the transplanting is done well and at the right time the stress is negligible, this has been my experience at least.
I agrree. I have transplanted where plants don't skip a beat. There are many plants that do better growing filling out the pot and being repotted. Some plants like to be stressed at points of their life cycle to encourage growth, especially annuals. I am just trying to figure out what is the best way to grow them before transplant to maximize growth before and after the transplant. I wish to maximize the root system. I grew the plants in the 3" x 10" tree bands open bottom. I did not get any lateral roots to the outside just straight down. I don't think it helped encourage growth. That being said the plants are about the same size as their sisters that were directly planted. I also think that this mimicked growing them from the start in a big pot. I am going to order some of the small air pots and see how they work out. I am also going to try to get my hands on some ellepots, not a big fan of them but might be worth a try. I also am thinking about ezplug pyramids. I think that it is an experiment worth trying.

Back