Trichome development/troubleshooting

Reaction score
I’m debriefing from my last harvest and wanting to make sure I learn as much as possible each grow. I’m still struggling to understand trichome development. Are there specific key factors that need to be optimized toward the end of a grow in order to facilitate trichomes clouding up and maturing into amber? Do certain environmental factors need to be modified? With autos I’ve just been leaving them at 18 hrs of light daily straight through.

I cut my last few down after seeing almost no cloudiness after leaving them up several weeks past their supposed life cycle. This may simply be inconsistent genetics or grower error, I’m honestly just baffled and curious at this point haha.

Anyway they were supposed to be ready in 12 weeks, and they looked amazing at that point but everything was still clear. I left them up for another month and still virtually no change. I saw maybe 5-10% cloudy trichomes after a whole additional month. Poor girls looked so crispy and past ripe, but still no trichome development. I could have left them up another month I guess but damn lol. That would put me at 5 months when the expectation was 3. It makes me wonder what I’m missing. Also if it really takes damn near half a year to grow an auto flower I’m left wondering if growing photos just ends up better return on investment.

From what I’ve read the smoke with be a nice headache since the trichs are all clear. In every other way they look and smell amazing though so I guess we’ll see. Do I need to fidget with nutrition or environment if I’m not seeing trichome development? I know you can’t speed up nature, just wondering if I’m missing stuff which I’m sure I am. Any insight is much appreciated.

I’m debriefing from my last harvest and wanting to make sure I learn as much as possible each grow. I’m still struggling to understand trichome development. Are there specific key factors that need to be optimized toward the end of a grow in order to facilitate trichomes clouding up and maturing into amber? Do certain environmental factors need to be modified? With autos I’ve just been leaving them at 18 hrs of light daily straight through.

I cut my last few down after seeing almost no cloudiness after leaving them up several weeks past their supposed life cycle. This may simply be inconsistent genetics or grower error, I’m honestly just baffled and curious at this point haha.

Anyway they were supposed to be ready in 12 weeks, and they looked amazing at that point but everything was still clear. I left them up for another month and still virtually no change. I saw maybe 5-10% cloudy trichomes after a whole additional month. Poor girls looked so crispy and past ripe, but still no trichome development. I could have left them up another month I guess but damn lol. That would put me at 5 months when the expectation was 3. It makes me wonder what I’m missing. Also if it really takes damn near half a year to grow an auto flower I’m left wondering if growing photos just ends up better return on investment.

From what I’ve read the smoke with be a nice headache since the trichs are all clear. In every other way they look and smell amazing though so I guess we’ll see. Do I need to fidget with nutrition or environment if I’m not seeing trichome development? I know you can’t speed up nature, just wondering if I’m missing stuff which I’m sure I am. Any insight is much appreciated.
Genetics play a HUGE role! What was the strain/breeder?

I completely understand what you are going through. I am on Day 72 of a supposed 75-day plant and I am 98% clear. There's a trickle of amber here and there, but that could just be light reflecting off the hairs.

For instance, this is from today:
1647197354090.png

Check out my grow (link in sig), I've been posting quite a few trichome pics because I thought 75 Day would be close, but a plant is a plant and it does whatever it wants. : )

Genetics play a HUGE role! What was the strain/breeder?

pineapple express & lowryder from high-supplies. This lowryder smells heavenly right now lol. Totally with you on genetics. You'd think I just want to buy the best seeds which I do, but there are so many factors behind that. Beginning with the fact that every environment is different. I went to seedsman before but for some reason I couldn't get the funds to transfer with them. I'm currently just trying different strains each time and methodically taking notes, improving my soil and environment as I learn stuff.

I completely understand what you are going through. I am on Day 72 of a supposed 75-day plant and I am 98% clear. There's a trickle of amber here and there, but that could just be light reflecting off the hairs.

For instance, this is from today:
View attachment 1431305

Check out my grow (link in sig), I've been posting quite a few trichome pics because I thought 75 Day would be close, but a plant is a plant and it does whatever it wants. : )

It's the best hobby ever lol. Yes, marijuana is like a woman that way I suppose. She's gonna do whatever crazy shit she wants and we love her anyway :)

Back