Understanding LED Technology - The Manual - California LightWorks Interview with George Mekhtarian -

Did this Thread help you to understand LED Technology better?

• Yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
of course... I dont even have to tell you what great minds do.. :)

of course... I dont even have to tell you what great minds do.. :)

:smokebuds: something to do with thought bubbles :D

incase you missed the edit

any particular reason going with the 20 and not the 50 uvb

First, the CLW uses actual UVB fluros... because of the issue you speak... they doont make good UVB leds yet and certainly not with the correct lense capabilities...

second, there is evidence from scientific research that PROVES UVB DOES in fact effect THC production...

third, am not preaching CLW as gospel, merely the technical data he speaks to as an engineer in the field of Silicon Conductors with a full depth understanding of the electronics behind driving a diode array.

The uvb data is available separately... in lots of places INCLUDING Marijuanana Botany if I recall correctly.

I will however agree that our understanding of the spectrums used by plants and indeed, our general knowledge of plants is still very limited even with all the studies and technologies up to date.
Indeed, I have read of an addition of a slight amount of green spectrum... though no-one seems to be able to explain that.. as most green light is reflected by the plant...

aha..... here you go... refute this:

Conversion of CBD acid to THC acid is the single most important reaction with respect to psychoactivity in the entire pathway and the one about which we know the most. Personal communication with Raphael Mechoulam has centered around the role of ultraviolet light in the bio-synthesis of THC acids and minor cannabinoids. In the laboratory, Mechoulam has converted CBD acid to THC acids by exposing a solution of CBD acid in n-hexane to ultraviolet light of 235-285 nm. for up to 48 hours. This reaction uses atmospheric oxygen molecules (02) and is irreversible; however, the yield of the conversion is only about 15% THC acid, and some of the products formed in the laboratory experiment do not occur in living specimens. Four types of isomers or slight variations of THC acids (THCA) exist. Both Delta1-THCA and Delta6-THCA are naturally occurring isomers of THCA resulting from the positions of the double bond on carbon 1 or carbon 6 of the geraniol portion of the molecule They have approximately the same psychoactive effect; however, Delta1-THC acid is about four times more prevalent than Delta6-THC acid in most strains. Also Alpha and Beta forms of Delta1-THC acid and Delta6-THC acid exist as a result of the juxtaposition of the hydrogen (H) and the carboxyl (COOH) groups on the olivetolic acid portion of the molecule It is suspected that the psychoactivity of the a and ~ forms of the THC acid molecules probably does not vary, but this has not been proven. Subtle differences in psychoactivity not detected in animals by laboratory instruments, but often discussed by marijuana aficionados, could be attributed to additional synergistic effects of the four isomers of THC acid. Total psycho-activity is attributed to the ratios of the primary cannabinoids of CBC, CBD, THC and CBN; the ratios of methyl, propyl, and pentyl homologs of these cannabinoids; and the isomeric variations of each of these cannabinoids. Myriad subtle combinations are sure to exist. Also, terpenoid and other aromatic compounds might suppress or potentiate the effects of THCs.
Environmental conditions influence cannabinoid biosynthesis by modifying enzymatic systems and the resultant potency of Cannabis. High altitude environments are often more arid and exposed to more intense sunlight than lower environments. Recent studies by Mobarak et al. (1978) of Cannabis grown in Afghanistan at 1,300 meters (4,350 feet) elevation show that significantly more propyl cannabinoids are formed than the respective pentyl homo-logs. Other strains from this area of Asia have also exhibited the presence of propyl cannabinoids, but it cannot be discounted that altitude might influence which path of cannabinoid biosynthesis is favored. Aridity favors resin production and total cannabinoid production; however, it is unknown whether arid conditions promote THC production specifically. It is suspected that increased ultraviolet radiation might affect cannabinoid production directly. Ultra-violet light participates in the biosynthesis of THC acids from CBD acids, the conversion of CBC acids to CCY acids, and the conversion of CBD acids to CBS acids. However, it is unknown whether increased ultraviolet light might shift cannabinoid synthesis from pentyl to propyl pathways or influence the production of THC acid or CBC acid instead of CBD acid.
The ratio of THC to CBD has been used in chemotype determination by Small and others. The genetically determined inability of certain strains to convert CBD acid to THC acid makes them a member of a fiber chemotype, but if a strain has the genetically determined ability to convert CBD acid to THC acid then it is considered a drug strain. It is also interesting to note that Turner and Hadley (1973) discovered an African strain with a very high THC level and no CBD although there are fair amounts of CBC acid present in the strain. Turner* states that he has seen several strains totally devoid of CBD, but he has never seen a strain totally devoid of THC. Also, many early authors confused CBC with CBD in analyzed samples because of the proximity of their peaks on gas liquid chromatograph (GLC) results. If the biosynthetic pathway needs alteration to include an enzymatically controlled system involving the direct conversion of hydroxy-CBG acid to THC acid through allylic rearrangement of hydroxy-CBG acid and cyclization of the rearranged intermediate to THC acid, as Turner and Hadley (1973) suggest, then CBD acid would be bypassed in the cycle and its absence explained. Another possibility is that, since CBC acid is formed from the same symmetric intermediate that is allylically rearranged before forming CBD acid, CBC acid may be the accumulated intermediate, the reaction may be reversed, and through the symmetric intermediate and the usual allylic rearrangement CBD acid would be formed but directly converted to THC acid by a similar enzyme system to that which reversed the formation of CBC acid. If this happened fast enough no CBD acid would be detected. It is more likely, however, that CBDA in drug strains is converted directly to THCA as soon as it is formed and no CBD builds up. Also Turner, Hemphill, and Mahlberg (1978) found that CBC acid was contained in the tissues of Cannabis but not in the resin secreted by the glandular trichomes. In any event, these possible deviations from the accepted biosynthetic pathway provide food for thought when trying to decipher the mysteries of Cannabis strains and varieties of psychoactive effect.
Returning to the more orthodox version of the cannabinoid biosynthesis, the role of ultraviolet light should be reemphasized. It seems apparent that ultraviolet light, normally supplied in abundance by sunlight, takes part in the conversion of CBD acid to THC acids. Therefore, the lack *Carlton Thrner 1979: personal communication. of ultraviolet light in indoor growing situations could account for the limited psychoactivity of Cannabis grown under artificial lights. Light energy has been collected and utilized by the plant in a long series of reactions resulting in the formation of THC acids. Farther along the pathway begins the formation of degradation products not metabolically produced by the living plant. These cannabinoid acids are formed through the progressive degradation of THC acids to CBN acid (cannabinolic acid) and other cannabinoid acids. The degradation is accomplished primarily by heat and light and is not enzymatically controlled by the plant. CBN is also suspected of synergistic modification of the psychoactivity of the primary cannabinoids, THCs. The cannabinoid balance between CBC, CBD, THC, and CBN is determined by genetics and maturation. THC production is an ongoing process as long as the glandular trichome remains active. Variations in the level of THC in the same trichome as it matures are the result of THC acid being broken down to CBN acid while CBD acid is being converted to THC acid. If the rate of THC biosynthesis exceeds the rate of THC breakdown, the THC level in the trichome rises; if the breakdown rate is faster than the rate of biosynthesis, the THC level drops. Clear or slightly amber transparent resin is a sign that the glandular trichome is still active. As soon as resin secretion begins to slow, the resins will usually polymerize and harden. During the late floral stages the resin tends to darken to a transparent amber color. If it begins to deteriorate, it first turns translucent and then opaque brown or white. Near-freezing temperatures during maturation will often result in opaque white resins. During active secretion, THC acids are constantly being formed from CBD acid and breaking down into CBN acid.
ref:

http://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/botany.html#Chapter 4 - Maturation and Harvesting of Cannabis

for future ref... when I say I've researched something and seen results... I have... :roflcry:

Read marijuana botany!

also:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090518172659.htm

also:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031942298007675

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19679046

http://bigbudsmag.com/grow/how/article/get-more-thc-your-medical-marijuana-proper-uv-light-june-2011

http://ganjadigger.com/search.php?query=uv&select=all&page=67

UVB

Ultra violet light can also do damage to a plants physiological processes,uvb also reduces the biomass of a plant.Plants also experience epidermal deformation and cuticular wax composition.

These effects not only come from DNA damage but also protein destruction,hormone inactivation and signal transduction,which is a conveyance of signals through phytochrome.
How you can make a statement like this...in the light of so much contradictory evidence... astounds me... :jaw:

jump to 22 minutes here:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilBYcG0QZSg[/video]

Last edited:
I find all these claims hard to believe fully,maybe with to much uv, yes it will defo have a negative effect.but I have run a blackstar with uv and its a great light,no issues with it affecting my plants,just nice healthy growth and buds :smokebuds: just browse the forum to see many backstar grows with uv

I'm not using diodes... 30 Watts of uv supplemental is fantastic trich production... so keep giving bad advice... why?

jm you said you were using 20 uvb bulbs before why not the 50 uvb bulbs?

because i bought a cali light works light... and it does all the uv I need for now... but I'll be adding some more soon and will defnietly reseach the upgrades in that technology once again when i add more...

cant wait to get some over my basil and rosemary!!! :dance2:

fYI... I was using 26 Watt CFL typeUVB's for reptiles.... my bad... thought they were 20.0's... but they were 10.0's... :smokebuds:

I have to ask Krypt, are you stuck in your ways or do you believe there's been research done that can prove you wrong? Often people get into battles of intellect and knowledge with stubborn pursuit and no intention to change their mind. Let's say you're right, to an extent - that UV - DOES - in fact stress the plants. It does, but that's what causes the increased trich production, not the red spectrum you're saying IR gives. UV interacts with the plant differently.. read here;

http://bigbudsmag.com/grow/how/arti...l-marijuana-plants-using-uv-light-august-2012

and just in case..

ow Does UV Light Effect Marijuana Plants?

But what does all this mean to your cannabis garden? To answer that, we need to investigate how UV light affects plants cells. Ultra-violet radiation, particularly UVB, has been shown to be detrimental to plant cell function. UV causes damage to plant cells in the same way it tears through your skin, eventually causing sunburn. As a result of this damage, all plants have created defenses against UV in the form of gene UVR8.

UVR8 is a protein molecule which senses UV all by itself, and then "tells" plant cells to change their behavior. Exactly how UVR8 molecules sense UV was recently discovered and is pretty interesting. UVR8 is what chemists call a "dimer." which just means that it's made of two structurally similar protein subunits. When UV light hits the two protein subunits in UVR8, their charge weakens and they break apart. To help visualize this, imagine rubbing two balloons against one another. The balloons will stick together because of a static charge. Now imagine the balloons get rained on. The water takes the static charge with it and the two balloons fly apart. In this example, the balloons are the two protein subunits and the rain is UV light cascading down on the plant cell. After the protein subunits break apart, they head to the cell nucleus to deliver their information.

More UV Can Mean More THC

One of these changes caused by this information is very important in your cannabis garden. UV stress stimulates cannabis' production of chemicals via the phenylpropanoid pathway, specifically malonyl-CoA and phenylalanine. Why is this important? It's important because cannabis uses malonyl-CoA to make Olivtol, which it in turn uses to make THC. Now we can see the specific pathway which cannabis uses to increase potency when exposed to UV light.

Great read whatsgoodie :point:

Back