New Grower V: Twenty20 Mendocino Purple Biscauto

DCLXVI

Non smoker
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Germination Day 1: 6/14

Two Purple Biscauto seeds dropped into a shotglass of water and placed on the router for heat.

P1030560.JPG

Germination Day 2: 6/15 Both seed cracked their shells in less than 24 hours. One much more than the other but I believe I can see a small white excursion on the less evident seed.

Only 23 hours in a shotglass of water on the router. Whew, typical @Twenty20 Adam style and extremely fast germination.

Tonight into the jiffy pellets. I hydrate them with a mix of 500ml distilled water and 0.5ml of General Hydroponics BioRoot. Had to use a bit of pH UP and final numbers were 63ppm and 6.6pH

Not all the water gets added but it's tough to pH and dose small amounts. I fill the tray with the solution and wait until they fully puff/expand. Pour off the excess and then add back in just enough to cover the bottom with a mm or so of liquid. Then cover on, and back onto the router to stay warm.

Pics:

P1030570.JPG

P1030577.JPG

Yep, it's one of those cheezy germination kits you can get at the Depot or Lowes. About to be parked on the router. I do position it so that the pellets themselves are not on the router but the heat is applied indirectly to the rest of the box. Usually a nice steamy looking affair by the AM and if history with the Twenty20 seeds holds, I expect to see sprouts by tomorrow afternoon, early evening. We shall see!

P1030578.JPG

If only one comes up I may drop another.

Possible plans:

If two seeds sprout: 1.5 gal airpots in BioBizz LightMix, one with DynaGro one with Oregons Only NFTG line
If only one seed: 3 gal airpot in BioBizz LightMix with DynaGro, then repeat grow with NFTG

Gonna follow along with this one. Crazy quick germination there!

Germination Day 2: 6/15 Both seed cracked their shells in less than 24 hours. One much more than the other but I believe I can see a small white excursion on the less evident seed.

Only 23 hours in a shotglass of water on the router. Whew, typical @Twenty20 Adam style and extremely fast germination.

Tonight into the jiffy pellets. I hydrate them with a mix of 500ml distilled water and 0.5ml of General Hydroponics BioRoot. Had to use a bit of pH UP and final numbers were 63ppm and 6.6pH

Not all the water gets added but it's tough to pH and dose small amounts. I fill the tray with the solution and wait until they fully puff/expand. Pour off the excess and then add back in just enough to cover the bottom with a mm or so of liquid. Then cover on, and back onto the router to stay warm.

Pics:

View attachment 1331177

View attachment 1331178

Yep, it's one of those cheezy germination kits you can get at the Depot or Lowes. About to be parked on the router. I do position it so that the pellets themselves are not on the router but the heat is applied indirectly to the rest of the box. Usually a nice steamy looking affair by the AM and if history with the Twenty20 seeds holds, I expect to see sprouts by tomorrow afternoon, early evening. We shall see!

View attachment 1331179

If only one comes up I may drop another.

Possible plans:

If two seeds sprout: 1.5 gal airpots in BioBizz LightMix, one with DynaGro one with Oregons Only NFTG line
If only one seed: 3 gal airpot in BioBizz LightMix with DynaGro, then repeat grow with NFTG
Off to a great start!

Man, you have it down!

How warm is your router? I have my germination box on top of my tent and it shows about 80F. My germs have been painfully slow and sadly unsuccessful.

Man, you have it down!

How warm is your router? I have my germination box on top of my tent and it shows about 80F. My germs have been painfully slow and sadly unsuccessful.
An observation I have made is that warmer is definitely faster but it also increases mortality rate. This is especially true for stubborn seeds. If they don't pop open in 36 hours or so with warm temps such as 80-90 then they should be moved to a cooler area such as 60-70. We have shifted away from high temperature germination for this reason.

Interesting point Adam. I think I could probably have gotten away with them at room temp now. My last few I started it was still quite cold out and the house isn't kept very warm. I do try to keep them just off the router so holding but not heated directly.

Man, you have it down!

Thanks DDubs, this is really only my 5th seed so I don't know that my methods are correct nor well tested. I would think the tent heat to be quite sufficient. I started using the router due to the coldness of starting seeds over the winter/early spring. I do like to put the shotglass of water on the router as well to keep it warm. Does need a bit of attention and touch up but I only leave it for 24hrs.

Heres how I position the germ box: The two pellets are just off the side.

P1030586.JPG

I prepped my pots already just in case they pop up during the day!
I line the bottom of the airpots with unbleached coffee filters so I don't get such a mess filling with dirt. They are single layer as I split them at the seam. Both pots are loaded with BioBizz LightMix and just waiting for seedlings!

P1030582.JPG

Back